The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


A European Solution.

Propose and discuss specific solutions to aspects of the Cyprus Problem

A European Solution.

Postby observer » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:31 pm

Back in 2004, Papadopoulos urged GCs not to vote for the Annan Plan, but to wait for the European Solution. He has never told anyone what the European Solution was, so here is my European Solution, as simple as it is radical.

EU countries recognize the TRNC (followed by the rest of the world) and allow it to enter the EU.

Firstly, it solves the GC demand of ‘right of return’. Any EU citizen will be allowed to live and work in the TRNC. They will be allowed to vote in EU elections and local elections, but not national elections, which will calm TC fears of being ruled by GCs. Of course, after 30+ years, it is impractical for all to return to their former homes. New roads and buildings now exist, and many may not want to return. In these cases the EU can set up a tribunal to make binding decisions on compensation or land exchange.

Secondly, it solves the demand of Turkish soldiers leaving the Island. In reality, most soldiers would probably leave. In any case, it ceases to be a RoC problem, it becomes the responsibility of the TRNC government. British and American soldiers are in Germany without anyone feeling that that German national integrity is harmed.

Thirdly, it solves the problem of ‘settlers’. Those who have TRNC citizenship now will become EU citizens, those who are not will be ‘aliens’, with the same limited rights as Turkish citizens in any other EU country.

There will still be other areas that need resolution, for example the borders, but TCs showed themselves willing to accept border adjustments in 2004 and would probably be willing to do so again. There would need to be a transitory period to adjust TC laws and institutions to EU standards, and during this period it should be acceptable to put a freeze on new building, grants of citizenship etc.

For a generation the UN has tried to broker a deal without success. Poll after poll show that the majority of TCs and GCs do not want each other as neighbours or marriage partners. As it seems that we will never get an agreement, why not accept that fact, and have friendly international relations rather than hostile or non-existent ones, and let the relationship grow stronger through the mutual interests of living next to each other on the same island.

Little could have been worse than French-German relationships in 1945, and those between many other EU countries, but mutual interests have led to far greater cooperation than any number of individual, bitterly-fought over treaties.
observer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:21 am

Re: A European Solution.

Postby Kikapu » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:49 pm

observer wrote:Back in 2004, Papadopoulos urged GCs not to vote for the Annan Plan, but to wait for the European Solution. He has never told anyone what the European Solution was, so here is my European Solution, as simple as it is radical.

EU countries recognize the TRNC (followed by the rest of the world) and allow it to enter the EU.

Firstly, it solves the GC demand of ‘right of return’. Any EU citizen will be allowed to live and work in the TRNC. They will be allowed to vote in EU elections and local elections, but not national elections, which will calm TC fears of being ruled by GCs. Of course, after 30+ years, it is impractical for all to return to their former homes. New roads and buildings now exist, and many may not want to return. In these cases the EU can set up a tribunal to make binding decisions on compensation or land exchange.

Secondly, it solves the demand of Turkish soldiers leaving the Island. In reality, most soldiers would probably leave. In any case, it ceases to be a RoC problem, it becomes the responsibility of the TRNC government. British and American soldiers are in Germany without anyone feeling that that German national integrity is harmed.

Thirdly, it solves the problem of ‘settlers’. Those who have TRNC citizenship now will become EU citizens, those who are not will be ‘aliens’, with the same limited rights as Turkish citizens in any other EU country.

There will still be other areas that need resolution, for example the borders, but TCs showed themselves willing to accept border adjustments in 2004 and would probably be willing to do so again. There would need to be a transitory period to adjust TC laws and institutions to EU standards, and during this period it should be acceptable to put a freeze on new building, grants of citizenship etc.

For a generation the UN has tried to broker a deal without success. Poll after poll show that the majority of TCs and GCs do not want each other as neighbours or marriage partners. As it seems that we will never get an agreement, why not accept that fact, and have friendly international relations rather than hostile or non-existent ones, and let the relationship grow stronger through the mutual interests of living next to each other on the same island.

Little could have been worse than French-German relationships in 1945, and those between many other EU countries, but mutual interests have led to far greater cooperation than any number of individual, bitterly-fought over treaties.


I'll give you an "A" for effort in your proposal as a solution, but "F" for believing, this would solve the basic problems.

You can get all these results in a 2 states 1 country solution, without asking that some GC's to "immigrate" to another country (TRNC), and asking some TC's to immigrate, back to their homeland (Cyprus). And all this time, we have never left the island of Cyprus. :? :? :?

It kind of reminds me of the very first "Planet of the Apes" film, with Charlton Heston. :lol:
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13540
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Postby Piratis » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:46 pm

observer, I think your proposal should be moved in the jokes section.

If your "solution" is the legalization of the ethnic cleansing of 200.000 GCs, then here is a similar solution:

First remove all TCs and Turks from Cyprus and send them to Turkey.
Second accept Turkey in EU. TCs can then came back to Cyprus and live here as EU citizens.

There will still be other areas that need resolution, e.g. TCs will not own any property and will not have any constitutional rights beyond those of foreign EU citizens, but this can easily be solved with goodwill.

What do you think?
User avatar
Piratis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:08 pm

Postby observer » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:30 am

Kikapu

You can get all these results in a 2 states 1 country solution, without asking that some GC's to "immigrate" to another country (TRNC), and asking some TC's to immigrate, back to their homeland (Cyprus). And all this time, we have never left the island of Cyprus.

Agreed, you can get all these results in a 2 states/i country solution. But after 30+ years of negotiating we are no nearer to that becauses neither side wants to yield an inch to the other side. Create 2 states and both sides will see that pragmatically there is more to gain from cooperating than opposing each other. The green line will not be negotiated away, it will fade away as people see that there is more to be gained from cooperating in tourism, communications, business etc. than there is in maintaining two of everything. Borders are not God-given. Czechoslovakia parted into the Czech and Slovak Republics with little problem; The Soviet Union broke into parts with difficulties in some areas; Yugoslavia broke up with more bloodshed than Cyprus and do you think that that is going to be reformed. Better a break-up and become friends than a future of exchanging insults, propaganda and accusations across the green line.

Piratis

If your "solution" is the legalization of the ethnic cleansing of 200.000 GCs, then here is a similar solution:

First remove all TCs and Turks from Cyprus and send them to Turkey.
Second accept Turkey in EU. TCs can then came back to Cyprus and live here as EU citizens.

There will still be other areas that need resolution, e.g. TCs will not own any property and will not have any constitutional rights beyond those of foreign EU citizens, but this can easily be solved with goodwill.



So your solution of the ethnic cleansing of TCs in the early 1960s, followed by the ethnic cleansing in 1974 of TCs in from the South and GCs from the North is more ethnic cleansing – great.
observer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:21 am

Postby zan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:35 am

It works for Piratis. :roll:
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby shahmaran » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:04 pm

Piratis wrote:observer, I think your proposal should be moved in the jokes section.

If your "solution" is the legalization of the ethnic cleansing of 200.000 GCs, then here is a similar solution:

First remove all TCs and Turks from Cyprus and send them to Turkey.
Second accept Turkey in EU. TCs can then came back to Cyprus and live here as EU citizens.

There will still be other areas that need resolution, e.g. TCs will not own any property and will not have any constitutional rights beyond those of foreign EU citizens, but this can easily be solved with goodwill.

What do you think?


I think you should remove yourself and your likes from this island, and then we will all be happy...

Try Germany, i think you should still be able to find some symphatizers for people like you over there, great beer too! ;)
User avatar
shahmaran
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5461
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: In conflict

Postby milagros » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:57 pm

the only solution is to remove turkish army from this island and then go by the UN resolutions.
milagros
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:39 am

Postby Viewpoint » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:11 pm

milagros wrote:the only solution is to remove turkish army from this island and then go by the UN resolutions.


Therefore leaving us at the mercy of the GCs???? and their National Guard. Well excuse me for saying noway bloody way they are here until or if a solution is found.
User avatar
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25211
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Nicosia/Lefkosa

Postby humanist » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:44 pm

VP you are such a victim, get over it.
User avatar
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:46 am

Postby observer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:46 am

milagros
the only solution is to remove turkish army from this island and then go by the UN resolutions


Try and look at this logically, with the head not the heart. There are Greek soldiers on the GC side; I would guess that most GCs want them to stay. There are Turkish soldiers on the TC side; a recent poll has shown that 70% of TCs want them to stay. So milagros’ solution just isn’t going to happen.

If Cyprus is divided into two countries within the EU, does it matter which country has which soldiers as guests in its own country? That can be decided by its own people. TRNC is unlikely to attack RoC. RoC is unlikely to attack TRNC.

The recent agreement in Northern Ireland has almost certainly been helped by both Ireland and UK being in the EU. If increasing EU harmonization means that both governments are increasingly the same what point is there in trying to demonize ‘the other side’ when the other side has exactly the same rules that your own side have?
observer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:21 am

Next

Return to Cyprus Problem Solution Proposals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests