The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Rebuild the trust between the Turkish and Greek Cypriots

Propose and discuss specific solutions to aspects of the Cyprus Problem

Postby Piratis » Mon May 14, 2007 5:28 pm

The Turks have butchered 10s of thousands of Greek Cypriots since the day they set their foot on Cyprus. And what is their excuse? Documents and articles "Oh, some Greek said/wrote such and such. Thats a good excuse for us Turks to go butcher some 1000s of them and ethnically cleanse many more" :roll:

Turkey is not occupying part of YOUR homeland, but are defending the homeland of TCs from the repetitions of past Greek aggressions.


And can you tell me how Kerynia, Lapithos, Morfou, Famagusta and all the other places in now occupied Cyprus are "homeland of TCs" when in fact they had Greek Cypriot majority for 1000s of years?

Oh, wait, I know your reasoning: Because the Turks can invade, rape, kill, steal that land and ethnically cleanse it from its native population, it makes it yours. Right?
User avatar
Piratis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:08 pm

Postby zan » Mon May 14, 2007 5:32 pm

Piratis wrote:The Turks have butchered 10s of thousands of Greek Cypriots since the day they set their foot on Cyprus. And what is their excuse? Documents and articles "Oh, some Greek said/wrote such and such. Thats a good excuse for us Turks to go butcher some 1000s of them and ethnically cleanse many more" :roll:

Turkey is not occupying part of YOUR homeland, but are defending the homeland of TCs from the repetitions of past Greek aggressions.


And can you tell me how Kerynia, Lapithos, Morfou, Famagusta and all the other places in now occupied Cyprus are "homeland of TCs" when in fact they had Greek Cypriot majority for 1000s of years?

Oh, wait, I know your reasoning: Because the Turks can invade, rape, kill, steal that land and ethnically cleanse it from its native population, it makes it yours. Right?


How many more times are you going to give us the same old crap. You have not managed to answer once the claim that Greeks were not always on the island so the same goes for you. :roll: :roll:
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby Piratis » Mon May 14, 2007 5:44 pm

I have answered. If you missed it here is is again:

First Greeks in Cyprus:

After 1400 B.C., Mycenaean and Mycenaean-Achaean traders from the northeastern Peloponnesus began regular commercial visits to the island. Settlers from the same areas arrived in large numbers toward the end of the Trojan War (traditionally dated about 1184 B.C.). Even in modern times, a strip of the northern coast was known as the Achaean Coast in commemoration of those early settlers. The newcomers spread the use of their spoken language and introduced a script that greatly facilitated commerce. They also introduced the potter's wheel and began producing pottery that eventually was carried by traders to many mainland markets. By the end of the second millennium B.C., a distinctive culture had developed on Cyprus. The island's culture was tempered and enriched by its position as a crossroads for the commerce of three continents, but in essence it was distinctively Hellenic.


First Turks in Cyprus:

Throughout the period of Venetian rule, Ottoman Turks raided and attacked at will. In 1489, the first year of Venetian control, Turks attacked the Karpas Peninsula, pillaging and taking captives to be sold into slavery. In 1539 the Turkish fleet attacked and destroyed Limassol. Fearing the ever-expanding Ottoman Empire, the Venetians had fortified Famagusta, Nicosia, and Kyrenia, but most other cities were easy prey.

In the summer of 1570, the Turks struck again, but this time with a full-scale invasion rather than a raid. About 60,000 troops, including cavalry and artillery, under the command of Lala Mustafa Pasha landed unopposed near Limassol on July 2, 1570, and laid siege to Nicosia. In an orgy of victory on the day that the city fell--September 9, 1570--20,000 Nicosians were put to death, and every church, public building, and palace was looted.



So nobody said that Greeks were always on the island. However Greeks came in peace brought to Cyprus a lot of civilization and intermingled with Cypriots to create what is known today as Greek Cypriots.

So Greek Cypriots are the native population of Cyprus that mixed with Greeks and adopted the Greek civilization.

So I hope now you will not tell me again that I didn't manage to answer your question.
User avatar
Piratis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:08 pm

Postby Get Real! » Mon May 14, 2007 6:42 pm

Where did you guys dig this one up from? :)

Oh well, I guess while I'm here...

Give it up Zan and bow down to Makarios ...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40380
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Postby zan » Mon May 14, 2007 7:01 pm

Piratis wrote:I have answered. If you missed it here is is again:

First Greeks in Cyprus:

After 1400 B.C., Mycenaean and Mycenaean-Achaean traders from the northeastern Peloponnesus began regular commercial visits to the island. Settlers from the same areas arrived in large numbers toward the end of the Trojan War (traditionally dated about 1184 B.C.). Even in modern times, a strip of the northern coast was known as the Achaean Coast in commemoration of those early settlers. The newcomers spread the use of their spoken language and introduced a script that greatly facilitated commerce. They also introduced the potter's wheel and began producing pottery that eventually was carried by traders to many mainland markets. By the end of the second millennium B.C., a distinctive culture had developed on Cyprus. The island's culture was tempered and enriched by its position as a crossroads for the commerce of three continents, but in essence it was distinctively Hellenic.


First Turks in Cyprus:

Throughout the period of Venetian rule, Ottoman Turks raided and attacked at will. In 1489, the first year of Venetian control, Turks attacked the Karpas Peninsula, pillaging and taking captives to be sold into slavery. In 1539 the Turkish fleet attacked and destroyed Limassol. Fearing the ever-expanding Ottoman Empire, the Venetians had fortified Famagusta, Nicosia, and Kyrenia, but most other cities were easy prey.

In the summer of 1570, the Turks struck again, but this time with a full-scale invasion rather than a raid. About 60,000 troops, including cavalry and artillery, under the command of Lala Mustafa Pasha landed unopposed near Limassol on July 2, 1570, and laid siege to Nicosia. In an orgy of victory on the day that the city fell--September 9, 1570--20,000 Nicosians were put to death, and every church, public building, and palace was looted.



So nobody said that Greeks were always on the island. However Greeks came in peace brought to Cyprus a lot of civilization and intermingled with Cypriots to create what is known today as Greek Cypriots.

So Greek Cypriots are the native population of Cyprus that mixed with Greeks and adopted the Greek civilization.

So I hope now you will not tell me again that I didn't manage to answer your question.


As per usual your claim that Greeks took over certain places with love and compassion is laughable.

http://www.aish.com/literacy/jewishhist ... cution.asp
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby miltiades » Mon May 14, 2007 8:14 pm

"""Lastly, Antiochus forbids circumcision. To the Jews, this is the physical, tangible sign of their covenant with God. And it's the one thing the Greeks - who worship the perfection of the human body - find most abhorrent. To them, circumcision is a mutilation. """

It is mutilation in the name of an ideology that worships the non existent God. Why on earth if God existed would he want little boys and little girls to be mutilated .
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Postby axilleask » Mon May 14, 2007 10:05 pm

Birkibrisli wrote:By reducing everything to a simple case of foreign occupation does not help one iota to solve the Cypro,axilleask...
No more than insisting that the Turkish army must remain in Cyprus to protect the TC population,without which they would be breakfast for the GCs...I suggest you go back and study a bit of Cyprus history (1571 is a good place to start) and then come back and tell us how you would solve this problem of ours...What you are doing is only adding to the problem,unfortunately... :(


It is the only problem. Turkey's interference is the only problem!
All the TC community leaders are Ankara's puppets and act as their masters tell them !
This is the obstacle.
Has any TC community leader effective control over the occupied territories? Hell not ! He can't even command a single turkish soldier!
Ankara is running the north and pushes towards a solution that can interfere in the island affairs indefinetly!
So Yes this is a problem of occupation!
Personally I wouldn't mind living in a TC administered area of the island provided that Tc's and NOT the Turks have effective control over the area!
This is a country under occupation!
Tell me please Can Mr Talat or any other community leader move even one soldier from one place to another? He can't!
40.000 troops are not needed to keep us from harming u. Their purpose is to intimidate TC's not to even think of protesting .
40.000 troops among 120.000 TC's ! for every 3 TC's there is one soldier !

Again I dont deny that mistakes have been commited by both sides! Sincs then we have moved on and became a FULL EU member!
What can we possibly do to harm someone?
Instead the north has become a cowboy state where criminals and wanted person find refuge! and all illegal activities take place!
You are afraid of Us?
I dont think so!
You are afraid of the Turks who will kill pillage and rape for the slighttest of the excuses just like they did in the past!
Turks are administering the North and every person who says the opposite is a liar!
Mr Talat agreed in the 8th of July to work towards a solution by accepting the technical commities! then he have changed his mind and still no progress!
Who you are trying to fool?
axilleask
Member
Member
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:59 pm

Postby BirKibrisli » Tue May 15, 2007 4:59 am

axilleask wrote:
Birkibrisli wrote:By reducing everything to a simple case of foreign occupation does not help one iota to solve the Cypro,axilleask...
No more than insisting that the Turkish army must remain in Cyprus to protect the TC population,without which they would be breakfast for the GCs...I suggest you go back and study a bit of Cyprus history (1571 is a good place to start) and then come back and tell us how you would solve this problem of ours...What you are doing is only adding to the problem,unfortunately... :(


It is the only problem. Turkey's interference is the only problem!
All the TC community leaders are Ankara's puppets and act as their masters tell them !
This is the obstacle.
Has any TC community leader effective control over the occupied territories? Hell not ! He can't even command a single turkish soldier!
Ankara is running the north and pushes towards a solution that can interfere in the island affairs indefinetly!
So Yes this is a problem of occupation!
Personally I wouldn't mind living in a TC administered area of the island provided that Tc's and NOT the Turks have effective control over the area!
This is a country under occupation!
Tell me please Can Mr Talat or any other community leader move even one soldier from one place to another? He can't!
40.000 troops are not needed to keep us from harming u. Their purpose is to intimidate TC's not to even think of protesting .
40.000 troops among 120.000 TC's ! for every 3 TC's there is one soldier !

Again I dont deny that mistakes have been commited by both sides! Sincs then we have moved on and became a FULL EU member!
What can we possibly do to harm someone?
Instead the north has become a cowboy state where criminals and wanted person find refuge! and all illegal activities take place!
You are afraid of Us?
I dont think so!
You are afraid of the Turks who will kill pillage and rape for the slighttest of the excuses just like they did in the past!
Turks are administering the North and every person who says the opposite is a liar!
Mr Talat agreed in the 8th of July to work towards a solution by accepting the technical commities! then he have changed his mind and still no progress!
Who you are trying to fool?


That is one way of looking at it,dear axilleask...
My point is that looking at it that way will do little to bring about a solution in the near future...The Turkish Army did not drop down from the sky as an act of God...Cyprus had to go through a lot of other disasters,heartaches,intriuques,pain and suffering on both sides before we ended up where we are.

I agree with you on Mr Talat...Mr Talat couldn't move one Turkish soldier one metre either way in the Trnc,let alone remove him to Turkey...
But pointing that out will not help us earn the understanding and the trust of the remaining TCs in the North which is necessary for a just and lasting solution. We are at a crucial point in Cyprus.The will and the spirit of the TCs have been broken,as you rightly say.The RoC has to do a lot of ground work to win the trust of the TCs,the trust which has been mortally wounded by the NO vote at the referandum 3 years ago. The TCs are seemingly resigned to become Turkified and totally disappear from the face of the earth...They need plenty of carrots to change their minds...Not sticks that keep coming from the Republic,both at govermental and private level...I don't know what the answer is...But I know that reducing the cyprus problem to an invasion by Turkey is not it... :(
User avatar
BirKibrisli
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:28 pm
Location: Australia

Postby Piratis » Tue May 15, 2007 8:56 am

zan wrote:
Piratis wrote:I have answered. If you missed it here is is again:

First Greeks in Cyprus:

After 1400 B.C., Mycenaean and Mycenaean-Achaean traders from the northeastern Peloponnesus began regular commercial visits to the island. Settlers from the same areas arrived in large numbers toward the end of the Trojan War (traditionally dated about 1184 B.C.). Even in modern times, a strip of the northern coast was known as the Achaean Coast in commemoration of those early settlers. The newcomers spread the use of their spoken language and introduced a script that greatly facilitated commerce. They also introduced the potter's wheel and began producing pottery that eventually was carried by traders to many mainland markets. By the end of the second millennium B.C., a distinctive culture had developed on Cyprus. The island's culture was tempered and enriched by its position as a crossroads for the commerce of three continents, but in essence it was distinctively Hellenic.


First Turks in Cyprus:

Throughout the period of Venetian rule, Ottoman Turks raided and attacked at will. In 1489, the first year of Venetian control, Turks attacked the Karpas Peninsula, pillaging and taking captives to be sold into slavery. In 1539 the Turkish fleet attacked and destroyed Limassol. Fearing the ever-expanding Ottoman Empire, the Venetians had fortified Famagusta, Nicosia, and Kyrenia, but most other cities were easy prey.

In the summer of 1570, the Turks struck again, but this time with a full-scale invasion rather than a raid. About 60,000 troops, including cavalry and artillery, under the command of Lala Mustafa Pasha landed unopposed near Limassol on July 2, 1570, and laid siege to Nicosia. In an orgy of victory on the day that the city fell--September 9, 1570--20,000 Nicosians were put to death, and every church, public building, and palace was looted.



So nobody said that Greeks were always on the island. However Greeks came in peace brought to Cyprus a lot of civilization and intermingled with Cypriots to create what is known today as Greek Cypriots.

So Greek Cypriots are the native population of Cyprus that mixed with Greeks and adopted the Greek civilization.

So I hope now you will not tell me again that I didn't manage to answer your question.


As per usual your claim that Greeks took over certain places with love and compassion is laughable.

http://www.aish.com/literacy/jewishhist ... cution.asp


:lol: What is laughable is you. What you gave has nothing to do with Cyprus and the era that Greeks came to Cyprus.

I understand how a person like you can not understand how a civilization can be spread in peaceful ways. I am sure you wonder why the Bible was first written in Greek in an era that Greeks didn't rule anything, and why the whole Western civilization is based on the Greek one even though the Greeks never went to occupy and force on other Europeans their culture.
User avatar
Piratis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:08 pm

Postby zan » Tue May 15, 2007 9:57 am

Piratis wrote:
zan wrote:
Piratis wrote:I have answered. If you missed it here is is again:

First Greeks in Cyprus:

After 1400 B.C., Mycenaean and Mycenaean-Achaean traders from the northeastern Peloponnesus began regular commercial visits to the island. Settlers from the same areas arrived in large numbers toward the end of the Trojan War (traditionally dated about 1184 B.C.). Even in modern times, a strip of the northern coast was known as the Achaean Coast in commemoration of those early settlers. The newcomers spread the use of their spoken language and introduced a script that greatly facilitated commerce. They also introduced the potter's wheel and began producing pottery that eventually was carried by traders to many mainland markets. By the end of the second millennium B.C., a distinctive culture had developed on Cyprus. The island's culture was tempered and enriched by its position as a crossroads for the commerce of three continents, but in essence it was distinctively Hellenic.


First Turks in Cyprus:

Throughout the period of Venetian rule, Ottoman Turks raided and attacked at will. In 1489, the first year of Venetian control, Turks attacked the Karpas Peninsula, pillaging and taking captives to be sold into slavery. In 1539 the Turkish fleet attacked and destroyed Limassol. Fearing the ever-expanding Ottoman Empire, the Venetians had fortified Famagusta, Nicosia, and Kyrenia, but most other cities were easy prey.

In the summer of 1570, the Turks struck again, but this time with a full-scale invasion rather than a raid. About 60,000 troops, including cavalry and artillery, under the command of Lala Mustafa Pasha landed unopposed near Limassol on July 2, 1570, and laid siege to Nicosia. In an orgy of victory on the day that the city fell--September 9, 1570--20,000 Nicosians were put to death, and every church, public building, and palace was looted.



So nobody said that Greeks were always on the island. However Greeks came in peace brought to Cyprus a lot of civilization and intermingled with Cypriots to create what is known today as Greek Cypriots.

So Greek Cypriots are the native population of Cyprus that mixed with Greeks and adopted the Greek civilization.

So I hope now you will not tell me again that I didn't manage to answer your question.


As per usual your claim that Greeks took over certain places with love and compassion is laughable.

http://www.aish.com/literacy/jewishhist ... cution.asp


:lol: What is laughable is you. What you gave has nothing to do with Cyprus and the era that Greeks came to Cyprus.

I understand how a person like you can not understand how a civilization can be spread in peaceful ways. I am sure you wonder why the Bible was first written in Greek in an era that Greeks didn't rule anything, and why the whole Western civilization is based on the Greek one even though the Greeks never went to occupy and force on other Europeans their culture.


If you can play about with numbers that mean nothing to a modern Cypriot then so can I. The facts on the link I posted are an indication as o how the Greeks took over certain islands and lands and show the reality of he situation. You tend o live n a world of feathers where the Greeks did no wrong and killed no one to populate the world as they have. You really are crazy to think that anyone here will even contemplate that the Greeks just settled in he places they are at and there was no conflict. :lol: I suppose Alexander belonged to EOKA-B :roll:

I did not know that the bible was written in Greek first, if that is true. I thought it was written in Latin??? If it was written by the Greeks then that explains why there is so much crap in it :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: Although I read that the bible was commissioned by he Roman catholic church but I may be wrong.
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem Solution Proposals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests