The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Kikapu turns a new leaf.........!!!

Propose and discuss specific solutions to aspects of the Cyprus Problem

Postby zan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:39 pm

Kikapu wrote:
zan wrote:How did I miss this thread :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah yeah yeah Kikapu...new leaf and all that...just admit it you lost :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



Anyway...As this is your baby I have an idea :idea: and I think you should ythink up a way to execute it.

I want you to set up a system on this forum so that we can have a working model of the system you discribe and we should then try to see if it works. You are charged with sorting out the preliminaries first though in what is to happen with the refugees from both sides and what happens with the land distribution etc.....
This is not to see who is more clever or who can win points but will the system work properly. It will also help people like me that are not so technically minded in this respect to understand the system. If it is something that works for all concerned I see no reason why it should not be implimented and that is what VP and all the TCs have been saying all along. All we want is a fair deal that is all. I really want to explore this and why you think it is any different than the A Plan. It will also be your job to sell it to all parties. So what are you waiting for Mr Kofi Kikapu!!!! :lol: I am not joking by the way.


I don't know what is it that I lost Zan. :?:

Actually you inspired me the other day Zan, when we were talking about movies, that after all the fighting and name calling, we were able to have a decent friendly exchanges on something that we both enjoyed, so why can't the same apply to the Cyprus Problem...you deserve some credit.

As for your challenge for me to come up with a working plan for Cyprus, I will try only if you want a system that is Truly Democratic, Non Racist, and Guarantees Human Rights to all Cypriots under one Government without hidden agendas to Partition the island, otherwise I'll be wasting my time.



Don't worry about what you lost. It was meant as a bit of light hearted banter but never mind.

I can remember the exact moment that I fell out with you Kikapu and that was with one word and that was "what?" but we won't dwell on that either.

I object to your use of the word democratic in the way you used it above. Democracy has not got a perfect blue print example in Cyprus but is an open interpretation depending on what side you are on so don't try to claim it for yourself.

Now! I have suggested the idea to you as good heartedly as I could in the hope that you will see that looking at the end product without looking at the road taken is not the way to go. I can ask you to accept many things before the discussions begin just like what is happening in Cyprus today and I know we will end up in the same impass as the two sides are in anyway. Start the talks and see where it leads. We all have working models of what Cyprus should be like and many of us have one for the world but the road has not even been built yet. If I could drop a happy bomb on Cyprus tomorrow and make everything alright then I would without hesitation but No such thing exists so lets be practical. You have put forward a finished building but now you have to get the engineers and the builders and the planning all working together to make your dream come true. Can you do that?
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby Kikapu » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:40 am

zan wrote:

Don't worry about what you lost. It was meant as a bit of light hearted banter but never mind.

I can remember the exact moment that I fell out with you Kikapu and that was with one word and that was "what?" but we won't dwell on that either.

I object to your use of the word democratic in the way you used it above. Democracy has not got a perfect blue print example in Cyprus but is an open interpretation depending on what side you are on so don't try to claim it for yourself.

Now! I have suggested the idea to you as good heartedly as I could in the hope that you will see that looking at the end product without looking at the road taken is not the way to go. I can ask you to accept many things before the discussions begin just like what is happening in Cyprus today and I know we will end up in the same impass as the two sides are in anyway. Start the talks and see where it leads. We all have working models of what Cyprus should be like and many of us have one for the world but the road has not even been built yet. If I could drop a happy bomb on Cyprus tomorrow and make everything alright then I would without hesitation but No such thing exists so lets be practical. You have put forward a finished building but now you have to get the engineers and the builders and the planning all working together to make your dream come true. Can you do that?


Gee Wees Zan, that could have been anything. :lol:

OK, here we go.

So you like the finished product you said, the "building" and you want to know how we got there, the road to it in another words.

The road to the "Finished Building" will take 10 years, so lets us assume we are at the end of 10 years today, so the year in Cyprus now is 2017 and we have a "New Country". So lets see how we got there.

Year 2007, both TC's and GC's agree on a Federation System with two separate states within the country of Cyprus. Lets call it the "United States of Cyprus" which will be North and South Cyprus. Both sides agree to take the full implementation of the Federal System into 2017, so that it becomes as such at the end of the road. in 2017, there are no longer the RoC or "TRNC". Just "United States of Cyprus"

All these events then need to be activated right away, in order to show that both sides are on their way to a Federal System.

1. Remove all checkpoints. No longer needed to show any ID to go back and forth between the North and the South.

2. All non Cypriots who are in the country will need to Register with the RoC. 2007 will be the cut off date for all those immigrants that are already in the country. All new arrivals will need to apply to the RoC first, before arrival.

3. RoC will have full control of it's borders to be able to control immigration, but these duties will be performed by the TC's in the North and GC's in the South until 2017.

4. The North will have Direct Trade and Flights to bring their economy up to par "leveling the playing field".

5. Turkish Troops and Greek Troops and their equipment start withdrawing from the island 10% each year for the next 10 years. For the TT, it will be 4,000 a year based on 40,000 and 1,000 GT based on 10,000. By year 2017, all foreign troops are gone.

6. All mine fields are cleared up by both sides.

7. Replace the Lira with the Cyprus Pound followed by the Euro.

8. Continue with the present political arrangement as it is now with both sides having their elected leaders until 2017. In 2017 there are no longer RoC or "TRNC".

9. All construction on GC land will stop and preserved to be returned back to its owners in the next 10 years. Those who bought GC land, will lose their rights to keep them. They can be reimbursed by a funds set up by the UN, on what they actually paid for the land, plus interest. Those who built homes or businesses on GC land, will have the option to buy the land from the GC owners at the market rate at that time, or else they can sell their house or businesses built on GC land, to the GC's. The TC's must be given the option to buy the land first from the original GC owners and cannot be forced out if they have a house or a business already built on it. Same will apply in the South. Then in the next 10 years, those GC's and TC's who wish to move back to their villages of before 1974, should be made possible and re united with their property.

Then we keep this going for the next 5 years for all sides to get to "know" each other a little better and build confidence. The North will start to develop economically.

By the end of 5th year, talks will start to form the new Federal Constitution by both sides. Using the last 5 years as a confidence building measure, it will be easier for both sides to agree on how to write the new constitution, to be put into use as of 2017. There is no hurry to get this done overnight. Lets take the time to put in all the ingredients that will make the Federal System workable. I would suggest we take 2 years to finish the New Constitution, so by year 2014, it will be ready to put into a referendum, to be voted by all Cypriots as "one man one vote" in a single referendum, but there must be at least 50+ % from each community must vote in favour, in order for the referendum to pass. This will be a safeguard as not to have just a majority vote, which will be dominated by the GC's.

After 8 years of making the adjustments of people shifting around the island, we will have better idea as to how many Cypriots will reside on which part of the island, plus the settlers whom half will gain automatic citizenship either through marriage or being born on the island, and the other half will have to follow the rules of the new immigration policies of the New Constitution. Based on the number of Cypriots now living in the North, plus by those who intend on living in the North once the Federal System is in full force by 2017, will determine what the actual boundaries of the North and the South will be. It will only be a imaginary line, but never the less, those will be the borders between the two States. No doubt the North will be mostly TC's and the South will be mostly GC's.

On the 9th year, each State will then write their own state Constitution, knowing full well, that the Federal Constitution has all the protections to all Cypriots and that State Constitution cannot override it. Once again, the State constitution will be put into a State referendum which will needs to have the support of at least 50+% of the GC's and the TC's to pass.

By the end of year 10, we are ready to start our new federal Government.

We are all worried about the majority out voting the minority, due to the numbers. What I would like to suggest is, we get rid of all the Political Parties as they stand right now, from both sides. Lets get away from the coalition movement of a government ( Parliamentary system) to a direct majority win kind of voting. Just like in the states, we have the Democrats, the Republicans and Independents. Let people vote based on ideology and not on ethnic lines.

For instance, and this is just for fun by the way. If we had a "Extremist Party", who do you think will belong to that Party, as Cypriots.? My guess is, it will be all the Fascists, AOKA (A & B), TMT, the Grey Wolves, the Hawks and the Mean spirited!!. They all have something in common, don't they. Why does it matter, that they belong to different ethnicity when they all believe in similar ideology. Well, the same will apply to all those who want to belong to the Democratic, Republican and a Independent Party. Leaders will emerge to represent the Citizens of Cyprus who fall into these three main groups. The leaders can be a TC, GC, Armenian, and anyone else who is a Cypriot Citizen by birth. Citizens from all sides will vote for the party and it's leader because of what they stand for and not because they are GC ot a TC. This will take few years to adjust to this system, but in the end, it will be the way to go.

I wil try to find Kifeas's voting Formula in the Government, even though it was based on a Parliamentary system of voting I believe, but it can be used as a model, as to how the citizens from each states are represented in the government.

You can all add your inputs if you like. This is just my idea as to how we can get from here to there in 10 years, with a Federal System as it is in the States for the most part. Of course it is just a "skeleton version", but will look better as pieces are added to the idea, as time goes on, within the 10 years period.

Will add more later..........
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13543
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Postby denizaksulu » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:53 pm

The heat wave must have affected Piratis in a positive manner. His gramaphone needle has melted. Thanks Piratis for your comments. I find them rather positive, for a change. So when you really try you can really be a nice guy and in reality you might even be that.
Thank you.......Did I write that? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards
DA
User avatar
denizaksulu
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 36050
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 11:04 am

Postby Kikapu » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:43 am

Kikapu wrote:
zan wrote:

Don't worry about what you lost. It was meant as a bit of light hearted banter but never mind.

I can remember the exact moment that I fell out with you Kikapu and that was with one word and that was "what?" but we won't dwell on that either

I object to your use of the word democratic in the way you used it above. Democracy has not got a perfect blue print example in Cyprus but is an open interpretation depending on what side you are on so don't try to claim it for yourself.

Now! I have suggested the idea to you as good heartedly as I could in the hope that you will see that looking at the end product without looking at the road taken is not the way to go. I can ask you to accept many things before the discussions begin just like what is happening in Cyprus today and I know we will end up in the same impass as the two sides are in anyway. Start the talks and see where it leads. We all have working models of what Cyprus should be like and many of us have one for the world but the road has not even been built yet. If I could drop a happy bomb on Cyprus tomorrow and make everything alright then I would without hesitation but No such thing exists so lets be practical. You have put forward a finished building but now you have to get the engineers and the builders and the planning all working together to make your dream come true. Can you do that?


Gee Wees Zan, that could have been anything. :lol:

OK, here we go.

So you like the finished product you said, the "building" and you want to know how we got there, the road to it in another words.

The road to the "Finished Building" will take 10 years, so lets us assume we are at the end of 10 years today, so the year in Cyprus now is 2017 and we have a "New Country". So lets see how we got there.

Year 2007, both TC's and GC's agree on a Federation System with two separate states within the country of Cyprus. Lets call it the "United States of Cyprus" which will be North and South Cyprus. Both sides agree to take the full implementation of the Federal System into 2017, so that it becomes as such at the end of the road. in 2017, there are no longer the RoC or "TRNC". Just "United States of Cyprus"

All these events then need to be activated right away, in order to show that both sides are on their way to a Federal System.

1. Remove all checkpoints. No longer needed to show any ID to go back and forth between the North and the South.

2. All non Cypriots who are in the country will need to Register with the RoC. 2007 will be the cut off date for all those immigrants that are already in the country. All new arrivals will need to apply to the RoC first, before arrival.

3. RoC will have full control of it's borders to be able to control immigration, but these duties will be performed by the TC's in the North and GC's in the South until 2017.

4. The North will have Direct Trade and Flights to bring their economy up to par "leveling the playing field".

5. Turkish Troops and Greek Troops and their equipment start withdrawing from the island 10% each year for the next 10 years. For the TT, it will be 4,000 a year based on 40,000 and 1,000 GT based on 10,000. By year 2017, all foreign troops are gone.

6. All mine fields are cleared up by both sides.

7. Replace the Lira with the Cyprus Pound followed by the Euro.

8. Continue with the present political arrangement as it is now with both sides having their elected leaders until 2017. In 2017 there are no longer RoC or "TRNC".

9. All construction on GC land will stop and preserved to be returned back to its owners in the next 10 years. Those who bought GC land, will lose their rights to keep them. They can be reimbursed by a funds set up by the UN, on what they actually paid for the land, plus interest. Those who built homes or businesses on GC land, will have the option to buy the land from the GC owners at the market rate at that time, or else they can sell their house or businesses built on GC land, to the GC's. The TC's must be given the option to buy the land first from the original GC owners and cannot be forced out if they have a house or a business already built on it. Same will apply in the South. Then in the next 10 years, those GC's and TC's who wish to move back to their villages of before 1974, should be made possible and re united with their property.

Then we keep this going for the next 5 years for all sides to get to "know" each other a little better and build confidence. The North will start to develop economically.

By the end of 5th year, talks will start to form the new Federal Constitution by both sides. Using the last 5 years as a confidence building measure, it will be easier for both sides to agree on how to write the new constitution, to be put into use as of 2017. There is no hurry to get this done overnight. Lets take the time to put in all the ingredients that will make the Federal System workable. I would suggest we take 2 years to finish the New Constitution, so by year 2014, it will be ready to put into a referendum, to be voted by all Cypriots as "one man one vote" in a single referendum, but there must be at least 50+ % from each community must vote in favour, in order for the referendum to pass. This will be a safeguard as not to have just a majority vote, which will be dominated by the GC's.

After 8 years of making the adjustments of people shifting around the island, we will have better idea as to how many Cypriots will reside on which part of the island, plus the settlers whom half will gain automatic citizenship either through marriage or being born on the island, and the other half will have to follow the rules of the new immigration policies of the New Constitution. Based on the number of Cypriots now living in the North, plus by those who intend on living in the North once the Federal System is in full force by 2017, will determine what the actual boundaries of the North and the South will be. It will only be a imaginary line, but never the less, those will be the borders between the two States. No doubt the North will be mostly TC's and the South will be mostly GC's.

On the 9th year, each State will then write their own state Constitution, knowing full well, that the Federal Constitution has all the protections to all Cypriots and that State Constitution cannot override it. Once again, the State constitution will be put into a State referendum which will needs to have the support of at least 50+% of the GC's and the TC's to pass.

By the end of year 10, we are ready to start our new federal Government.

We are all worried about the majority out voting the minority, due to the numbers. What I would like to suggest is, we get rid of all the Political Parties as they stand right now, from both sides. Lets get away from the coalition movement of a government ( Parliamentary system) to a direct majority win kind of voting. Just like in the states, we have the Democrats, the Republicans and Independents. Let people vote based on ideology and not on ethnic lines.

For instance, and this is just for fun by the way. If we had a "Extremist Party", who do you think will belong to that Party, as Cypriots.? My guess is, it will be all the Fascists, AOKA (A & B), TMT, the Grey Wolves, the Hawks and the Mean spirited!!. They all have something in common, don't they. Why does it matter, that they belong to different ethnicity when they all believe in similar ideology. Well, the same will apply to all those who want to belong to the Democratic, Republican and a Independent Party. Leaders will emerge to represent the Citizens of Cyprus who fall into these three main groups. The leaders can be a TC, GC, Armenian, and anyone else who is a Cypriot Citizen by birth. Citizens from all sides will vote for the party and it's leader because of what they stand for and not because they are GC ot a TC. This will take few years to adjust to this system, but in the end, it will be the way to go.

I will try to find Kifeas's voting Formula in the Government, even though it was based on a Parliamentary system of voting I believe, but it can be used as a model, as to how the citizens from each states are represented in the government.

You can all add your inputs if you like. This is just my idea as to how we can get from here to there in 10 years, with a Federal System as it is in the States for the most part. Of course it is just a "skeleton version", but will look better as pieces are added to the idea, as time goes on, within the 10 years period.

Will add more later..........


Listen up people, I would appreciate if you can also add few suggestions on here on how to "Structure the Road" to year 2017. I have few ideas on the political set up for Government Power Structure , but I really do not want to be a "Dictator" and propose all the ideas in only what I believe. I think Zan wanted this to be a joint effort the get the discussion going. I've set up the scenario as to what can be done to get us from "here to there".

I'll add more soon after reading your ideas.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13543
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Postby Viewpoint » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Its really the Gcs that the BBF idea has to be sold to, not many are in favor...The TCs have been saying this for ages dont forget the demonized AP was a BBF solution according to 99% of the world.
User avatar
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25211
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Nicosia/Lefkosa

Postby humanist » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:53 pm

Kikapu
Gee Wees Zan, that could have been anything.

OK, here we go.

So you like the finished product you said, the "building" and you want to know how we got there, the road to it in another words.

The road to the "Finished Building" will take 10 years, so lets us assume we are at the end of 10 years today, so the year in Cyprus now is 2017 and we have a "New Country". So lets see how we got there.

Year 2007, both TC's and GC's agree on a Federation System with two separate states within the country of Cyprus. Lets call it the "United States of Cyprus" which will be North and South Cyprus. Both sides agree to take the full implementation of the Federal System into 2017, so that it becomes as such at the end of the road. in 2017, there are no longer the RoC or "TRNC". Just "United States of Cyprus"

All these events then need to be activated right away, in order to show that both sides are on their way to a Federal System.

1. Remove all checkpoints. No longer needed to show any ID to go back and forth between the North and the South.

2. All non Cypriots who are in the country will need to Register with the RoC. 2007 will be the cut off date for all those immigrants that are already in the country. All new arrivals will need to apply to the RoC first, before arrival.

3. RoC will have full control of it's borders to be able to control immigration, but these duties will be performed by the TC's in the North and GC's in the South until 2017.

4. The North will have Direct Trade and Flights to bring their economy up to par "leveling the playing field".

5. Turkish Troops and Greek Troops and their equipment start withdrawing from the island 10% each year for the next 10 years. For the TT, it will be 4,000 a year based on 40,000 and 1,000 GT based on 10,000. By year 2017, all foreign troops are gone.

6. All mine fields are cleared up by both sides.

7. Replace the Lira with the Cyprus Pound followed by the Euro.

8. Continue with the present political arrangement as it is now with both sides having their elected leaders until 2017. In 2017 there are no longer RoC or "TRNC".

9. All construction on GC land will stop and preserved to be returned back to its owners in the next 10 years. Those who bought GC land, will lose their rights to keep them. They can be reimbursed by a funds set up by the UN, on what they actually paid for the land, plus interest. Those who built homes or businesses on GC land, will have the option to buy the land from the GC owners at the market rate at that time, or else they can sell their house or businesses built on GC land, to the GC's. The TC's must be given the option to buy the land first from the original GC owners and cannot be forced out if they have a house or a business already built on it. Same will apply in the South. Then in the next 10 years, those GC's and TC's who wish to move back to their villages of before 1974, should be made possible and re united with their property.

Then we keep this going for the next 5 years for all sides to get to "know" each other a little better and build confidence. The North will start to develop economically.

By the end of 5th year, talks will start to form the new Federal Constitution by both sides. Using the last 5 years as a confidence building measure, it will be easier for both sides to agree on how to write the new constitution, to be put into use as of 2017. There is no hurry to get this done overnight. Lets take the time to put in all the ingredients that will make the Federal System workable. I would suggest we take 2 years to finish the New Constitution, so by year 2014, it will be ready to put into a referendum, to be voted by all Cypriots as "one man one vote" in a single referendum, but there must be at least 50+ % from each community must vote in favour, in order for the referendum to pass. This will be a safeguard as not to have just a majority vote, which will be dominated by the GC's.

After 8 years of making the adjustments of people shifting around the island, we will have better idea as to how many Cypriots will reside on which part of the island, plus the settlers whom half will gain automatic citizenship either through marriage or being born on the island, and the other half will have to follow the rules of the new immigration policies of the New Constitution. Based on the number of Cypriots now living in the North, plus by those who intend on living in the North once the Federal System is in full force by 2017, will determine what the actual boundaries of the North and the South will be. It will only be a imaginary line, but never the less, those will be the borders between the two States. No doubt the North will be mostly TC's and the South will be mostly GC's.

On the 9th year, each State will then write their own state Constitution, knowing full well, that the Federal Constitution has all the protections to all Cypriots and that State Constitution cannot override it. Once again, the State constitution will be put into a State referendum which will needs to have the support of at least 50+% of the GC's and the TC's to pass.

By the end of year 10, we are ready to start our new federal Government.

We are all worried about the majority out voting the minority, due to the numbers. What I would like to suggest is, we get rid of all the Political Parties as they stand right now, from both sides. Lets get away from the coalition movement of a government ( Parliamentary system) to a direct majority win kind of voting. Just like in the states, we have the Democrats, the Republicans and Independents. Let people vote based on ideology and not on ethnic lines.

For instance, and this is just for fun by the way. If we had a "Extremist Party", who do you think will belong to that Party, as Cypriots.? My guess is, it will be all the Fascists, AOKA (A & B), TMT, the Grey Wolves, the Hawks and the Mean spirited!!. They all have something in common, don't they. Why does it matter, that they belong to different ethnicity when they all believe in similar ideology. Well, the same will apply to all those who want to belong to the Democratic, Republican and a Independent Party. Leaders will emerge to represent the Citizens of Cyprus who fall into these three main groups. The leaders can be a TC, GC, Armenian, and anyone else who is a Cypriot Citizen by birth. Citizens from all sides will vote for the party and it's leader because of what they stand for and not because they are GC ot a TC. This will take few years to adjust to this system, but in the end, it will be the way to go.

I wil try to find Kifeas's voting Formula in the Government, even though it was based on a Parliamentary system of voting I believe, but it can be used as a model, as to how the citizens from each states are represented in the government.

You can all add your inputs if you like. This is just my idea as to how we can get from here to there in 10 years, with a Federal System as it is in the States for the most part. Of course it is just a "skeleton version", but will look better as pieces are added to the idea, as time goes on, within the 10 years period.

Will add more later..........


Kikapu, I think your on the right track. How do we get the UN and the politicians of Cyprus to actually pay attention and perhaps implement this fair plan. Thanks for being a caring Cypriot to think of the details and true unification of all Cypriots.

But as someone keeps telling me what gives the arogant rigt to think that I know the Cyprus problem :wink:
User avatar
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:46 am

Postby humanist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:06 am

Kikapu,

My suggestions

1/ a register on the RoC's side to register those refugees not wishing to return to the north state and happy to accept compensation. This will free up more land to be made available for those TC's not wishing to move to the south state.
2/ I believe the Turkish Troop withdrawl and devolution of National Guard can occur sooner than 10 years. Lots more money will be saved to put towards unification.
3/ If I have not read correctly your plan does not include a united social, economic, educational and health structures.
4/ I read an article a few months back that said Cyprus was mine free.
5/All Cypriot property taken by each side for building public anemities such as hospitals, airports etc to be appropriately compensated
6/the current green line to be used a s natioanl peace park to be shared by all Cypriots and people with property within that ought ot be very well compensated to encourage them to let it go.
User avatar
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:46 am

Postby Kikapu » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:14 am

Viewpoint wrote:Its really the Gcs that the BBF idea has to be sold to, not many are in favor...The TCs have been saying this for ages dont forget the demonized AP was a BBF solution according to 99% of the world.


I just returned from over the weekend trip to the UK for a special occasions, and needless to say, too much had happened there and on the forum since last Friday morning. Managed to book a car before flying to London Heathrow, due to the 2 cars found to contain explosive devices, so that we did not have to ride the trains and buses. July 7th anniversary is just around the corner, so we just avoided London all together, and high tailed to Birmingham for the occasion. Then there was the incident in Glasgow Airport Friday night. Then after arriving home last night in Switzerland, we learned that one of the Terminals in Heathrow was evacuated due to suspicious package. We do live in strange times.

About the forum. Since last Friday, it appears Piratis and VP have reached an agreement to divide Cyprus along 82%-18% ratios.

That was nice of them, while I was out of town. :lol:

Can I assume in that case, that Piratis does not see a solution anytime in the foreseeable future, so he is willing to let the 18% of his country go, so that the GC's will make do with 82%.??

Can I also assume, that VP does not see a Recognition and lifting of isolation coming to any meaningful conclusion anytime in the foreseeable future, so therefore, he would settle to let 82% of his country go, so that the TC's can make something of the 18%.??

Then our good friend Turkish_Cypriot gets to meet "real GC's" in the RoC, for the first time I'm sure. It was nice of "Iceman" and "Halil" to come along. Also nice to see the faces of GR, DT, and Bananiot, along with Halil, T_C and iceman, who looked like the "real thing" from "Top Gun" with his Aviators on.!!

And not too much has been added to my "solution plan" except from Humanist...thank you, and the above comment from VP.

VP, you can talk about the AP being the BBF, but in reality it was a Federal System based on Swiss model, which makes it a Confederation, so as the main reason as to why it was voted down, plus all the points Kifeas pointed out, on another thread, regarding TC state constitution. I can see not too many GC's jumping over my proposals yet, but then again, I have not seen too many TC's jumping either. You can all draw your own conclusion as to the reasons why.

I will add more to the above "solution plan" later today.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13543
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Postby humanist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:37 am

Can we send the plan to UN please and I am serious may be they need some assistance to draw it up. I think the healthy thing to do is have referendums as much as possible it is a fair way to solve it and the last one is a great indication that people can do it safely unlike Palestine/ Israel.
User avatar
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:46 am

Postby Kikapu » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:51 am

I'll add few more suggestion toward a peaceful "settlement plan".

Having already agreed on a TWO State solution with a Federal System of Government, which the line separating both states will run East to West as it does right now, through Nicosia. I believe in today's society, it is counter productive to have a Capital City in TWO pieces, such as South and North Nicosia. It will be very disruptive to have TWO separate State laws (North & South) in ONE location. What I would propose, is to declare the whole of Nicosia as an Independent entity all together from the North and South States. Once again, the "United States of Cyprus" can take a lesson from the USA system, where the Capital city of the USA is Washington, which is situated in no ONE particular State at all, but at a non-state location, District of Columbia, DC. It is a fairly small place and all it has is just US Government Agencies as well as locals who live and work there. In another words, No ONE state can claim to be the Capital State of America. So, I would like to propose, that we do the same in Cyprus, which is to declare Nicosia the Capital of "United States of Cyprus". We can call it, Nicosia DC ( District of Cyprus).

Nicosia DC will be governed by a Mayor and board of Supervisors on all aspects of running a city, with TC's and GC's living and working under this system. Only Federal Laws will apply in Nicosia DC, but each ethnic group living in Nicosia DC, can register to vote for State Senators either in the North or the South, but cannot participate in the local elections of those States, even voting for representatives to congress, in the districts within those states. The residence of Nicosia DC, can vote for all Federal elections, as well as for their local government, ie Mayor, education secretary and so on. Police will be a Federal Force. One more way to really bring the citizens of Cyprus together with this arrangement.

So I think I have the physical structures worked out, for myself anyway, as what I see it to be fair to both sides and what is needed now is the power structure to be held by each ethnic group, as in a Parliamentary system, or close to what we had with the 1960 agreements, which was a disaster from the beginning, or as to what I've suggested, is to get rid of all Political Parties in Cyprus, and just adopt 3 main ones, Democrats, Republicans and Independents, and allow all Cypriots to vote on ideology and not along ethnic lines on choosing their political leaders.

Here are the main differences between the Democrats and the Republicans that I have copied for you:

The Democratic Party is considered to be the more liberal party, and the Republican, the more conservative. Democrats generally
believe that government has an obligation to provide social and
economic programs for those who need them. Republicans are not necessarily opposed to such programs but believe they are too costly to taxpayers. Republicans put more emphasis on encouraging private enterprise in the belief that a strong private sector makes citizens less dependent on government.

Both major parties have supporters among a wide variety of Americans and embrace a wide range of political views. Americans do not have to join a political party to vote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic ... _States%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican ... _States%29

If Cypriots follow these ideology of what the above represents, why would anyone care, if those running for office or become a representative of the citizens of the North State, South State or Nicosia DC, are a TC or GC or any other member of the Cypriot Citizen.

I have just found Kifeas's Plan for POWER sharing in a Parliamentary system.

Quote:
If we have a house of 100 members (80 GCs plus 20 TCs) and decisions are taken on simple majority, it means that at least any 51 members out of the above 100 members will have to approve it. However, in order to qualify as simple majority, at least 4 (or 6) of the votes must come (included in the 51 votes needed) from the 20 TCs (20% or 30% of the TC members,) and at least 16 (or 24) of the votes must come from (included in the 51votes needed) from the 80 GCs.

For example we can have the following combination for simple majority to qualify.
I take a special case example that needs 30% minimum from each side.

Case 1:
6 TCs plus 45 GCs equals 51 /100. (Qualifies)

Case 2:
20 TCs plus 31 GCs equals 51 /100. (Qualifies)

Case 3:
5 TCs plus 46 GCs equals 51 /100 (it doesn’t qualify)

Case 4:
1 TC plus 80 GCs equals 81 /100 (it doesn’t qualify)
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13543
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem Solution Proposals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest