The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Varosha

Propose and discuss specific solutions to aspects of the Cyprus Problem

Postby Nikitas » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:31 am

I remember riding my bike along those streets when people lived there. I can stil identify some houses and recall the people who lived in them. Seeing the dereliction I am still trying to figure out how keeping 40 000 out of their town helps anyone's cause.
Nikitas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:49 pm

Postby phoenix » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:27 am

Nikitas wrote:I remember riding my bike along those streets when people lived there. I can stil identify some houses and recall the people who lived in them. Seeing the dereliction I am still trying to figure out how keeping 40 000 out of their town helps anyone's cause.


We don't have a rational kind of enemy!
User avatar
phoenix
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Free From Forum

Postby denizaksulu » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:19 am

phoenix wrote:
Nikitas wrote:I remember riding my bike along those streets when people lived there. I can stil identify some houses and recall the people who lived in them. Seeing the dereliction I am still trying to figure out how keeping 40 000 out of their town helps anyone's cause.


We don't have a rational kind of enemy!



.,,,,,,and you do have an irrational kind of leader. Had he any sense, Varosha would have been with its proper owners , and a chance of gaining more was on the table.
User avatar
denizaksulu
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 36050
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 11:04 am

New photos of Sandy Beach Hotel etc.

Postby cymart » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:46 pm

By visiting the Msngroups 'return to famagustavarosha' site there are new photos on display which I presume were taken by a member of the Turkish military last summer showing the Sandy beach Hotel and other places.They are of course very interesting for us members of this site nd it is a pity that only a couple of them can be enlarged to show more detail etc.The buildings in use appear to be in very good condition, especially as they were built during the early 1970's.I really hope'Oranos' is right and the Cyprus problem will be sorted out in 2008 as he believes!
cymart
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:42 am
Location: PAPHOS

Postby Andros » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:32 pm

In my opinion, if the Turkish Cypriot can not persuade Turkey to hand back Varosha as part of a future negotitations process with our newly elected President Christofias, then I would dub the talks as a failure long before any future referendum on a unification plan.
User avatar
Andros
Member
Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 pm
Location: London

Varosha

Postby cymart » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:22 pm

This will be given up as part of an overall agreement and not separately-Turkey know it's their strongest card and will not risk losing it before then....
cymart
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:42 am
Location: PAPHOS

Postby Nikitas » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:55 pm

Hardly the strongest card if the other side has managed very nicely without it for 34 years.

It is more a sign of the mental inertia of the Turkish side. Returning Varosi would be the biggest boost imaginable to TC income and economy. There is no way that the town can be rebuilt without resorting to TC engineers and construction workers, while GC property owners will borrow money to pay for the work.


Naturally there is also the challenge to all of us, whether this project will benefit Cyprus and Cypriots as whole or the usual "five families" of each community and the koumbaros network.
Nikitas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:49 pm

Postby Andros » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:22 pm

According to the latest land survey conducted by the United Nations even if Varosha was handed back, after so many years of neglect and decay, most, if not all of the building would probably have to be demolished and rebuilt - what a waste. If the Turks are not going to hand it back of open it in some way, at least allow people to take a bus ride through it, kind of like a Tourist attraction, at least we could reminisce on the good old days of when people used to compare the area to Miami beach.

The entire issue makes me feel very sad - how could it have come to this stage? Thinking of how special that area was, and how much entertainment and joy, and pride, people had of Varosha when it was referred to by foreigners visiting the island, makes me wonder what the area would have been like today if it was not closed-off. Forget about the London Dockland or the City of London for that matter, The Varosha would have now have been probably one of the most advanced tourist and business centres in the Med.

Is there not at least a way of revamping the area as, at least, a neutral zone until an agreement is found?
User avatar
Andros
Member
Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 pm
Location: London

Postby denizaksulu » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Andros wrote:According to the latest land survey conducted by the United Nations even if Varosha was handed back, after so many years of neglect and decay, most, if not all of the building would probably have to be demolished and rebuilt - what a waste. If the Turks are not going to hand it back of open it in some way, at least allow people to take a bus ride through it, kind of like a Tourist attraction, at least we could reminisce on the good old days of when people used to compare the area to Miami beach.

The entire issue makes me feel very sad - how could it have come to this stage? Thinking of how special that area was, and how much entertainment and joy, and pride, people had of Varosha when it was referred to by foreigners visiting the island, makes me wonder what the area would have been like today if it was not closed-off. Forget about the London Dockland or the City of London for that matter, The Varosha would have now have been probably one of the most advanced tourist and business centres in the Med.

Is there not at least a way of revamping the area as, at least, a neutral zone until an agreement is found?



I agree with you Andros. Like Nikitas says, its not even a trump card no more. At least not the strongest one. However I dont see the Turks opening it up to show the world what a mess they have left. It would be a good idea (imo) to open it up and restore the area under the auspices of the UN as a temporary measure. Not a totally satisfying situation but as mentioned above , the employement it will provide for all Cypriots should not be ignored. The only thing that worries me is the fall in tourist numbers (both sides) will have to be taken in to account.

Regards
User avatar
denizaksulu
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 36050
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 11:04 am

Postby humanist » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:00 am

Just wondering, Varosha is a blockaded city in now northern Cyprus where no one lives. From what I here it was a thriving tourist city. If it was returned, it be competition for larnaca, right? Or was there a total difference between them i don't know about.

Also why doesn't northern Cyprus not just give it back if there not using it? Are they using it as a bargaining chip?


yes it is used as bargaining chip and because our TC brthers and sisters are mean.
User avatar
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:46 am

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem Solution Proposals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests