The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


TURKISH IS AN OFFICIAL EU LANGUAGE

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Postby duckerdiver » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:01 pm

Dear Pyrpolizer

Re your

"Do you think Greek would ever become official EU language just because of the GCs? If it weren’t Greece already in the EU "no way Hoze", we would just end using English like Ireland"

I am afraid you are wrong about Irish not being translated; You said the Irish have to make do with English "we would just end using English like Ireland" but Gaelic is an official language of the EU see link to Gaelic translation of the Europa portal http://europa.eu/index_ga.htm

Your argument is that; A) financial concerns and B) the small size or low population numbers of the State, are the reason languages are either included or excluded?

As regards small states Maltese is an official language of the EU (see link to the Maltese language translation of the Europa portal: http://europa.eu/index_mt.htm. They only have a population of 401,880 (estimated July 2007) so it is not size that matters.

Financial concerns or size are not the reasons why languages are or are not translated so I am afraid your argument does not hold water on either of the premises you put forward

Just to show how informative and concerned the EU is about languages here is link to a page where you can see (and hear) all 23 official languages of the EU: http://europa.eu/abc/european_countries ... dex_en.htm

As to who I am and what I do; yes I am the man who was (illegally) deported from the R of C but who are you to question my right to be on any forum I chose to be on? What I do or where I write is none of your business.


Brian Semmens
duckerdiver
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:20 pm

Postby Pyrpolizer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:57 pm

I said Gaellic (Irish) WAS NOT an official EU language. It became one in 2007. You came back telling me I am wrong, giving me also a link to confirm that TODAY Gaellic is an official language!!!! What is the date today my friend??

Indeed Malta is almost half a million population. It's language became official EU language because it was the one and only FIRST language of that country. So you are right Greek would become official language in the EU just for the GCs even without Greece.

wrote: Just to show how informative and concerned the EU is about languages here is link to a page where you can see (and hear) all 23 official languages of the EU: http://europa.eu/abc/european_countries ... dex_en.htm


I don’t see any Basque, Catalan and Galician in there. Any ideas?

wrote: Financial concerns or size are not the reasons why languages are or are not translated so I am afraid your argument does not hold water on either of the premises you put forward


You must be joking really. Do a little further reading and you will soon discover this is a huge problem in the EU, that absorbs too much budget. There are thoughts already to limit the official languages to 3-5 in fact despite the fact the official languages are 23 the working languages are already limited to 5.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9090
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Postby Kifeas » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:20 pm

Corrupted Brian Semmens! You would have been more sincere with your "crusades," if you had initiated a petition towards the government of Kemalist Turkey (the country which had been paying you to conduct espionage against the RoC in the south -and this is the reason you were deported) to allow the human right of the 20% of Kurdish origin citizens of Turkey to speak and communicate among themselves in their language!

My information is that you were caught acting as a spy for Turkey in the south, and you are lucky that you were simply deported! If you were caught in Turkey doing the same against them, you most likely would have been dumped in some bottomless well, after they would have made you to eat your own genitals and torture you without mercy! You now show your “gratitude” for having your life been spared, by coming here and adding more insult to injury against the Greek Cypriots and the RoC!
Last edited by Kifeas on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Lapithos, Kyrenia, now Pafos; Cyprus.

Postby phoenix » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:24 pm

Kifeas

Do you live near my village? . . .
User avatar
phoenix
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Free From Forum

Postby Kifeas » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:25 pm

phoenix wrote:Kifeas

Do you live near my village? . . .


Yes I do!
User avatar
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Lapithos, Kyrenia, now Pafos; Cyprus.

Postby zan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:39 am

Kifeas

Do you live near my village? . . .



Yes I do!





AWWWWW..So cute!!! :D
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby Eric dayi » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:10 am

Kifeas wrote:
phoenix wrote:Kifeas

Do you live near my village? . . .


Yes I do!


hope you've got lots and lots of socks. :wink:

Image
User avatar
Eric dayi
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:37 pm

Postby boomerang » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:49 am

why was brians semen deported from the RoC?
User avatar
boomerang
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:56 am

Postby duckerdiver » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:08 am

Dear Boomerang (and others)

Having been asked a million+ times why the R of C deported me and because the likes of Kifeas spout the official spin and gossip from the R of C, I created a web site of MSN Groups to give all the details. In the documents section you will see every piece of evidence the R of C presented to the Supreme Court trying to defend their decision.

Link to site: http://uk.msnusers.com/CyprusDeportations

Kifeas incorrectly states that the reason I was deported was that I was a spy for Turkey (paranoia rules) but if you read the secret KYP file it clearly states they followed me for 3 months and saw nothing untoward and further that despite the authorities suspicions that I was travelling to see Rauf Denktas, during the time I was being observed I did not cross to the North although they did say that I could have crossed over via the Eastern SBA but offered no evidence that I had ever been seen in or near the Eastern SBA. I fact have never been to the Eastern SBA only the Western base area. As regards me going to the North, I have not been to the North since 1996

So Kifeas is wrong (again) it's becoming a habit with him


Brian Semmens

http://uk.msnusers.com/CyprusDeportations
duckerdiver
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:20 pm

Re: TURKISH IS AN OFFICIAL EU LANGUAGE

Postby Get Real! » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:53 am

duckerdiver wrote:I have recently filed a “Citizens Petition” with the European Parliament demanding that they correct an oversight during the accession of the 10 new member States in 2004.

Both Turkey and the “TRNC” openly campaign their disapproval and non recognition of the 1959/60s agreements in which the Turkish language is declared as one of the official languages of the Republic of Cyprus so your campaign to include the Turkish language in the official EU languages is therefore pointless.

Turkey and the “TRNC” need to understand that in order for the Turkish Cypriot community to be able to enjoy Republic of Cyprus entitlements such the language issue above they must first recognize the entity that upholds these entitlements!

Applying a little common sense in what we campaign for goes a long way so you might first want to take your plight to Turkey and the “TRNC”…

Regards, GR.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40497
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests