The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


TURKISH IS AN OFFICIAL EU LANGUAGE

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

TURKISH IS AN OFFICIAL EU LANGUAGE

Postby duckerdiver » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:58 pm

Dear All

Thank for allowing me to use this forum/site as a method of disseminating this information.

I have recently filed a “Citizens Petition” with the European Parliament demanding that they correct an oversight during the accession of the 10 new member States in 2004.

During the accession of the 10 new member States’ on the 1st of May 2004, the official languages of all the States (bar one) were included as “Official languages of the EU.”

The official language of a member state that was not made an “official language of the EU” was the Turkish language.

Following on from the 1959 Zurich agreements, which led to the constitution of the Republic of Cyprus, Turkish was (and still is) an official language of the Republic of Cyprus.

I have therefore demanded that the Petitions Committee call the Commission to task and remedy this error.

In addition I have opened a petition on the Number 10 Downing Street “Petitions to the Prime Minister’s” site asking the Prime Minister and UK Government to support the petition before the European Parliament. I invite all interested parties to sign the petition and to ensure that justice is done for all Cypriots.

Link to sign the petition: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Turklang/



Brian Semmens
duckerdiver
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:20 pm

Postby phoenix » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:40 pm

Pedantic. :roll:

Unnecessary bureaucracy.
User avatar
phoenix
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Free From Forum

Re: TURKISH IS AN OFFICIAL EU LANGUAGE

Postby Kifeas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:44 pm

duckerdiver wrote:Dear All

Thank for allowing me to use this forum/site as a method of disseminating this information.

I have recently filed a “Citizens Petition” with the European Parliament demanding that they correct an oversight during the accession of the 10 new member States in 2004.

During the accession of the 10 new member States’ on the 1st of May 2004, the official languages of all the States (bar one) were included as “Official languages of the EU.”

The official language of a member state that was not made an “official language of the EU” was the Turkish language.

Following on from the 1959 Zurich agreements, which led to the constitution of the Republic of Cyprus, Turkish was (and still is) an official language of the Republic of Cyprus.

I have therefore demanded that the Petitions Committee call the Commission to task and remedy this error.

In addition I have opened a petition on the Number 10 Downing Street “Petitions to the Prime Minister’s” site asking the Prime Minister and UK Government to support the petition before the European Parliament. I invite all interested parties to sign the petition and to ensure that justice is done for all Cypriots.

Link to sign the petition: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Turklang/



Brian Semmens


Dear Brian Semmens, Turkish is indeed an official language of the RoC, as per the 1960 constitution!

Since you initiated a petition for the inclusion of the Turkish language as one of the EU official languages, based on the fact that it is one of the RoC official ones; am I right to assume that you also recognise the RoC as the only legal and sovereign government of the whole of the island, representing all of its people -GCs and TCs alike, as it is also another of the facts stipulated in the existing 1960 constitution?

The logical assumption would be that yes, you indeed recognise the RoC on the above basis! If this is true, then, can I also assume that you do not recognise the so called "TRNC," and that you in fact consider the north part of Cyprus as a territory belonging to the RoC, (as per also the treaty of accession that that the EU has co-signed with the RoC,) but which (area) is under an essentially illegal Turkish occupation?

If this is also true, are you then ready to initiate petitions towards all relevant directions, for the end of northern Cyprus' illegal occupation by Turkey, and the reinstitution of all the Cypriot people's violated human rights; issues far more important than the one concerning the making of Turkish an official EU language?

I am asking you all these questions, because all the information I have about your good self is that you in fact, do not recognise the RoC as the government sovereignly representing the whole island -as it is also marked in the 1960 constitution; you do recognise the "TRNC" as a legitimate authority or government -contrary to the provisions of the 1960 constitution, and finally, you do not regard the north as an area illegally occupied by Turkey!

Can you please explain yourself on the basis of my above very direct questions, because -rightfully or wrongfully, you indeed have the fame of a very obscure and mistakable fellow!
User avatar
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Lapithos, Kyrenia, now Pafos; Cyprus.

Re: TURKISH IS AN OFFICIAL EU LANGUAGE

Postby miltiades » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:56 pm

Kifeas wrote:
duckerdiver wrote:Dear All

Thank for allowing me to use this forum/site as a method of disseminating this information.

I have recently filed a “Citizens Petition” with the European Parliament demanding that they correct an oversight during the accession of the 10 new member States in 2004.

During the accession of the 10 new member States’ on the 1st of May 2004, the official languages of all the States (bar one) were included as “Official languages of the EU.”

The official language of a member state that was not made an “official language of the EU” was the Turkish language.

Following on from the 1959 Zurich agreements, which led to the constitution of the Republic of Cyprus, Turkish was (and still is) an official language of the Republic of Cyprus.

I have therefore demanded that the Petitions Committee call the Commission to task and remedy this error.

In addition I have opened a petition on the Number 10 Downing Street “Petitions to the Prime Minister’s” site asking the Prime Minister and UK Government to support the petition before the European Parliament. I invite all interested parties to sign the petition and to ensure that justice is done for all Cypriots.

Link to sign the petition: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Turklang/



Brian Semmens


Dear Brian Semmens, Turkish is an indeed official language of the RoC, as per the 1960 constitution!

Since you initiated a petition for the inclusion of the Turkish language as one of the EU official languages, based on the fact that it is one of the RoC official ones; am I right to assume that you also recognise the RoC as the only legal and sovereign government of the whole of the island, representing all of its people -GCs and TCs alike, as it is also another of the facts stipulated in the existing 1960 constitution?

The logical assumption would be that yes, you indeed recognise the RoC on the above basis! If this is true, then, can I also assume that you do not recognise the so called "TRNC," and that you in fact consider the north part of Cyprus as a territory belonging to the RoC, (as per also the treaty of accession that that the EU has co-signed with the RoC,) but which (area) is under an essentially illegal Turkish occupation?

If this is also true, are you then ready to initiate petitions towards all relevant directions for the end of north Cyprus' illegal occupation, and the reinstitution of all the Cypriot people's violated human rights, an issue far more important than the one concerning the making of Turkish and EU official language?

I am asking you all these questions, because all the information I have about your good self is that in fact you do not recognise the RoC as the government sovereignly representing the whole island, as it is also marked in the 1960 constitution; you do recognise the "TRNC" as a legitimate authority or government -contrary to the provisions of the 1960 constitution, and you do not regard the north as an area illegally occupied by Turkey!

Can you please explain yourself on the basis of my above very direct questions, because -rightfully or wrongfully, you indeed have the fame of a very obscure and mistakable fellow!

My dear Kifeas , please excuse my impertinent intrusion , I just felt that I should say a few words.
Irrespective whether an individual recognises or does not the legality of a nation recognised by all international bodies , the ROC , the fact of the matter is that the Turkish language IS an official EU language and should be included at the request and insistence of the ROC . The position of the ROC , supported Internationally , is that the part of Cyprus currently occupied by Turkey IS an integral part of Cyprus under foreign occupation. The ROC ought to appreciate that actions speak louder than words , and if indeed it took some serious steps into convincing the T/Cs that It , the ROC , has their interests at heart and considers them also as an integral part of Cyprus .
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16321
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: TURKISH IS AN OFFICIAL EU LANGUAGE

Postby free_cyprus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:57 pm

duckerdiver wrote:Dear All

Thank for allowing me to use this forum/site as a method of disseminating this information.

I have recently filed a “Citizens Petition” with the European Parliament demanding that they correct an oversight during the accession of the 10 new member States in 2004.

During the accession of the 10 new member States’ on the 1st of May 2004, the official languages of all the States (bar one) were included as “Official languages of the EU.”

The official language of a member state that was not made an “official language of the EU” was the Turkish language.

Following on from the 1959 Zurich agreements, which led to the constitution of the Republic of Cyprus, Turkish was (and still is) an official language of the Republic of Cyprus.

I have therefore demanded that the Petitions Committee call the Commission to task and remedy this error.

In addition I have opened a petition on the Number 10 Downing Street “Petitions to the Prime Minister’s” site asking the Prime Minister and UK Government to support the petition before the European Parliament. I invite all interested parties to sign the petition and to ensure that justice is done for all Cypriots.

Link to sign the petition: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Turklang/

zurich agreement that turkey and greece drew up to devide cyprus, wow that is soo interesting how you talk about our constetution its something i dont recognise but then again i have the right not to



Brian Semmens
free_cyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:08 am

Postby CopperLine » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:04 pm

Kifeas,
As far as the EU is concerned a language does not belong to a state, rather it is spoken by people. Since the right to speak one's own language is a fundamental human right and the EU claims to uphold human rights - and I think that in the field of language it has a pretty good record - then it follows that if a sizeable number of its population speak a given language, in this case Turkish, then the onus is on the EU to recognise and uphold this right.

As far as I can tell the case for recognition of Turkish as an EU language need not refer to, let alone depend on arguments about the RoC and TRNC. Brian Semmens' argument is one argument, to be sure, but I think it unnecessarily complicated. It is sufficient in my view simply to argue, for example, that many more people in the EU speak Turkish than say Welsh, Gaelic, Basque, or Maltese all of which are recognised languages. Why isn't Turkish so recognised ? (The answer CANNOT be because Turkey is not an EU member, because languages as I said do not belong to states).


Phoenix,
You say,
Pedantic.

Unnecessary bureaucracy.


Two points : First, how can people expect proper democratic representation and accountability if the institutions of power don't even recognise a people's language, nor how can people respect and support an institution that doesn't understand its citizens' languages ? Neither will the people understand and respect the institution. This is not an issue about the Turkish language per se but about languages in general.
Second, how do you square your earlier repeated (and no doubt justifiable) complaints of ethnic cleansing which has included the denial of language and all its cultural significance with a comment of 'pedantic, unnecessary bureaucracy' ? Perhaps it is only through institutionalising and obliging bureacracies to use 'minority' languages that this form of 'ethnic cleansing' can be fought ?

Even though the proliferation of official languages (not the same as recognised languages) in the EU is, I agree, an increasingly difficult task to manage, it is in my view a price worth paying. So I say, more languages for the EU. Vive la difference !
User avatar
CopperLine
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:04 pm

Postby michalis5354 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:10 pm

The exclusion of the Turkish language as an official language of the EU is illegal according to the ROC Constitution and this should be brought to the attention of all legal bodies in EU.

Following on from the 1959 Zurich agreements, which led to the constitution of the Republic of Cyprus, Turkish was (and still is) an official language of the Republic of Cyprus.
User avatar
michalis5354
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:48 am

Postby CopperLine » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:16 pm

The exclusion of the Turkish language as an official language of the EU is illegal according to the ROC Constitution and this should be brought to the attention of all legal bodies in EU.


That being the case wouldn't it be huge boost to 'inter-communal' relations if the RoC were able to secure the actual adoption of Turkish as an official EU language (as opposed to it being an EU language only 'in principle' and two steps removed) ?
User avatar
CopperLine
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:04 pm

Re: TURKISH IS AN OFFICIAL EU LANGUAGE

Postby Kifeas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:23 pm

miltiades wrote:
Kifeas wrote:
duckerdiver wrote:Dear All

Thank for allowing me to use this forum/site as a method of disseminating this information.

I have recently filed a “Citizens Petition” with the European Parliament demanding that they correct an oversight during the accession of the 10 new member States in 2004.

During the accession of the 10 new member States’ on the 1st of May 2004, the official languages of all the States (bar one) were included as “Official languages of the EU.”

The official language of a member state that was not made an “official language of the EU” was the Turkish language.

Following on from the 1959 Zurich agreements, which led to the constitution of the Republic of Cyprus, Turkish was (and still is) an official language of the Republic of Cyprus.

I have therefore demanded that the Petitions Committee call the Commission to task and remedy this error.

In addition I have opened a petition on the Number 10 Downing Street “Petitions to the Prime Minister’s” site asking the Prime Minister and UK Government to support the petition before the European Parliament. I invite all interested parties to sign the petition and to ensure that justice is done for all Cypriots.

Link to sign the petition: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Turklang/



Brian Semmens


Dear Brian Semmens, Turkish is an indeed official language of the RoC, as per the 1960 constitution!

Since you initiated a petition for the inclusion of the Turkish language as one of the EU official languages, based on the fact that it is one of the RoC official ones; am I right to assume that you also recognise the RoC as the only legal and sovereign government of the whole of the island, representing all of its people -GCs and TCs alike, as it is also another of the facts stipulated in the existing 1960 constitution?

The logical assumption would be that yes, you indeed recognise the RoC on the above basis! If this is true, then, can I also assume that you do not recognise the so called "TRNC," and that you in fact consider the north part of Cyprus as a territory belonging to the RoC, (as per also the treaty of accession that that the EU has co-signed with the RoC,) but which (area) is under an essentially illegal Turkish occupation?

If this is also true, are you then ready to initiate petitions towards all relevant directions for the end of north Cyprus' illegal occupation, and the reinstitution of all the Cypriot people's violated human rights, an issue far more important than the one concerning the making of Turkish and EU official language?

I am asking you all these questions, because all the information I have about your good self is that in fact you do not recognise the RoC as the government sovereignly representing the whole island, as it is also marked in the 1960 constitution; you do recognise the "TRNC" as a legitimate authority or government -contrary to the provisions of the 1960 constitution, and you do not regard the north as an area illegally occupied by Turkey!

Can you please explain yourself on the basis of my above very direct questions, because -rightfully or wrongfully, you indeed have the fame of a very obscure and mistakable fellow!

My dear Kifeas , please excuse my impertinent intrusion , I just felt that I should say a few words.
Irrespective whether an individual recognises or does not the legality of a nation recognised by all international bodies , the ROC , the fact of the matter is that the Turkish language IS an official EU language and should be included at the request and insistence of the ROC . The position of the ROC , supported Internationally , is that the part of Cyprus currently occupied by Turkey IS an integral part of Cyprus under foreign occupation. The ROC ought to appreciate that actions speak louder than words , and if indeed it took some serious steps into convincing the T/Cs that It , the ROC , has their interests at heart and considers them also as an integral part of Cyprus .


Miltiades, regardless of whether this was right or wrong, there are reasons the EU had chosen not to include Turkish as an official language; and there are reasons the RoC had chosen not to insist on that and let it pass without objection! If the majority of TCs and their leadership, are ready to convince me that (a) they do not aspire and aim partition, (b) they indeed recognise the RoC as the only sovereign legal entity of the whole of Cyprus (c) they do not recognise the "TRNC" as a valid legal entity, (d) they indeed consider the presence of Turkish troops in the north as occupational force violating both the sovereignty of the RoC and the human rights of a large portion of the Cypriot people -issues that all stem from the 1960 constitution; then I will also be ready to sign all the petitions and also take it up in the streets, not just for their rights to the use of the Turkish language, but also for any other fair and reasonable right they will be denied!

From the moment the majority of them (including their leadership) do not even recognise the 1960 constitution and the RoC, why should I or any other GC Cypriot sign any petition to their benefit? Does the majority of them or their leadership recognise my property rights in Kyrenia and Lapithos? No they do not, even though they are also based, provided and safeguarded by the 1960 constitution!

What is a more important set of rights? The right to ones country, heritage and property; or the right for Turkish to be an official EU language? The first set constitutes prime fundamental human rights! The later constitutes mere secondary cultural rights, not in Cyprus but in Brussels!
User avatar
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Lapithos, Kyrenia, now Pafos; Cyprus.

Postby phoenix » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:24 pm

CopperLine wrote:.
Phoenix,
You say,
Pedantic.

Unnecessary bureaucracy.


Two points : First, how can people expect proper democratic representation and accountability if the institutions of power don't even recognise a people's language, nor how can people respect and support an institution that doesn't understand its citizens' languages ? Neither will the people understand and respect the institution. This is not an issue about the Turkish language per se but about languages in general.
Second, how do you square your earlier repeated (and no doubt justifiable) complaints of ethnic cleansing which has included the denial of language and all its cultural significance with a comment of 'pedantic, unnecessary bureaucracy' ? Perhaps it is only through institutionalising and obliging bureacracies to use 'minority' languages that this form of 'ethnic cleansing' can be fought ?

Even though the proliferation of official languages (not the same as recognised languages) in the EU is, I agree, an increasingly difficult task to manage, it is in my view a price worth paying. So I say, more languages for the EU. Vive la difference !


Whilst the TCs are under the jurisdiction/protectorate of Turkey I (and speaking entirely on my OWN account) they have "opted" out of the RoC and its Laws/ Constitution. As far as I can ascertain they are then not part of the EU alongside the RoC. Once they re-join the RoC and remove the invaders then the issue of whether Turkish should be a second recognised language in the RoC would need to be addressed. I am only looking at the possibility (worse case scenario) that by the time there is re-unification the demographics may be such that there may well be other competing more dominant languages on the island.

I consider ethnic cleansing of paramount importance and a priority for the EU . . . if they did not get bogged down with pedantry they would have more time to devote to this more pressing matter (IMHO ie ME!).
User avatar
phoenix
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Free From Forum

Next

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests