The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Is there a coherent GC strategy to reunify Cyprus?

Propose and discuss specific solutions to aspects of the Cyprus Problem

Postby humanist » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:24 am

Is there a coherent GC strategy to reunify Cyprus?


No there isn't because the Turkish Cypriots want to go their own way to create Enosis with Turkey
User avatar
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:46 am

Postby Talisker » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:44 pm

Nikitas wrote:Talisker,

All three leading candidates are in favor of the BBF solution, bicommunal, biregional, federation.

Seeing them on RIK interviews, facing pro and con journalists, there are differences in the approach to the means they plan to use to achieve this BBF solution. Christofias wants to utilise the good contacts his party has with TCs. Kassoulides, as a current Eurodeputy, stresses the role of Europe. Papadopoulos wants a workable solution and goes into details more than the other two, something to be expected from a man who has been involved in the problem most of his working life.

All three candidates have emphasised the need to have a solution worked out by Cypriots this time, without the reliance on foreign powers shown in the past. None of the candidates have analysed the territorial aspect of the problem which for me is the most vital issue on many levels. Christofias did say that with the right territorial adjustments it is possible to have a bizonal solution, with all displaced GC returning to the north (as it will be under a solution) and still have a subsantial TC majority in the north. Reading the map, this would involve the return of major GC population centers, like Famagusta, Morphou, the bigger villages of Mesaoria, the Karpasia peninsula tip, and some kind of enclaves in Kyrenia and Lapithos thus returning more than three quarters of the displace people back to their properties.

All three candidates have said that any solution will have to be put to a referendum to get approved by the people of both communities.

Well, it is three days away to round one. I see a second round between Christofias and Papadopoulos.


Thanks for the summary on the three main candidates, Nikitas. Did any of them come up with new proposals in the debate last night?
User avatar
Talisker
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:41 pm
Location: UK

Postby Andros » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:21 pm

Talisker,

I hope that you have read my recent posting on what I, as a Greek Cypriot, believes is our country's idea of a solution. Please read and comment. Meanwhile, in short, it is a solution with no barriers, no innner states, no derogations, no strong bi-zonal structure, but only a realistic bi-communal emphasis where are Cypriot people, regardless of their spoken language can live under one roof. Anything other, in my opinion, is just another Annan Plan ready to be rejected!

I would even suggest partition if our Cypriots were forced to accept an unrealistic unification plan. At least with partition will would know exactly where we stand, and could perhaps build on unification gestures like breaking down certain political barriers. While accepting a bad plan could, in my view, once again lead to inter-communal fighting if it consists of unrealitc control policies and barriers; like constituent states, the non-return of foreign soldiers, the British bases, two Presidential leaders (very unrealistic, I must say), and areas where certain people can or can not purchase.

We are not living in the 1950s America!
User avatar
Andros
Member
Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 pm
Location: London

Postby Talisker » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:50 pm

Andros wrote:Talisker,

I hope that you have read my recent posting on what I, as a Greek Cypriot, believes is our country's idea of a solution. Please read and comment. Meanwhile, in short, it is a solution with no barriers, no innner states, no derogations, no strong bi-zonal structure, but only a realistic bi-communal emphasis where are Cypriot people, regardless of their spoken language can live under one roof. Anything other, in my opinion, is just another Annan Plan ready to be rejected!

I would even suggest partition if our Cypriots were forced to accept an unrealistic unification plan. At least with partition will would know exactly where we stand, and could perhaps build on unification gestures like breaking down certain political barriers. While accepting a bad plan could, in my view, once again lead to inter-communal fighting if it consists of unrealitc control policies and barriers; like constituent states, the non-return of foreign soldiers, the British bases, two Presidential leaders (very unrealistic, I must say), and areas where certain people can or can not purchase.

We are not living in the 1950s America!


Andros,

Sorry, have been off the forum for a few weeks so have only just picked up your post. Where in the forum is your proposed solution?

Regards,
Talisker
User avatar
Talisker
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:41 pm
Location: UK

Postby kentish » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:04 pm

humanist wrote:
Is there a coherent GC strategy to reunify Cyprus?


No there isn't because the Turkish Cypriots want to go their own way to create Enosis with Turkey


NO a greek cypriots idea of unity is to control the whole island economically and socially resulting in turkish cypriots becoming a minority with no voice and no means of advancement socially as turkish cpriots.in other words back to the dark days.
i'll stick please
kentish
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Postby Get Real! » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:23 pm

kentish wrote:
humanist wrote:
Is there a coherent GC strategy to reunify Cyprus?


No there isn't because the Turkish Cypriots want to go their own way to create Enosis with Turkey

NO a greek cypriots idea of unity is to control the whole island economically and socially resulting in turkish cypriots becoming a minority with no voice and no means of advancement socially as turkish cpriots.in other words back to the dark days.
i'll stick please

The RoC has had a free market economy backed by a modern democracy for decades, and today it’s also an EU member, so there are NO EXCUSES so you can only blame your shortcomings if unable to compete.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40500
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Postby kentish » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:05 pm

we are competing doughnut and thats the way it should stay.the competion is not a level playing field but so be it,its better than obliteration.there are no shortcomings we just want to avoid being swallowed up which is the agenda of the south
kentish
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Postby Get Real! » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:50 pm

kentish wrote:we are competing doughnut and thats the way it should stay.the competion is not a level playing field but so be it,its better than obliteration.there are no shortcomings we just want to avoid being swallowed up which is the agenda of the south

Capitalism is a bitch... compete or get swallowed up as you say. The system is no different to the US, UK, or Australia so quit complaining and swim.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40500
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Postby zan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:56 pm

Get Real! wrote:
kentish wrote:
humanist wrote:
Is there a coherent GC strategy to reunify Cyprus?


No there isn't because the Turkish Cypriots want to go their own way to create Enosis with Turkey

NO a greek cypriots idea of unity is to control the whole island economically and socially resulting in turkish cypriots becoming a minority with no voice and no means of advancement socially as turkish cpriots.in other words back to the dark days.
i'll stick please

The RoC has had a free market economy backed by a modern democracy for decades, and today it’s also an EU member, so there are NO EXCUSES so you can only blame your shortcomings if unable to compete.



Free to launder money....Plant bombs....Trade in drugs...... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby kentish » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:15 pm

Get Real! wrote:
kentish wrote:we are competing doughnut and thats the way it should stay.the competion is not a level playing field but so be it,its better than obliteration.there are no shortcomings we just want to avoid being swallowed up which is the agenda of the south

Capitalism is a bitch... compete or get swallowed up as you say. The system is no different to the US, UK, or Australia so quit complaining and swim.


whose complaining, we are competing and swimming and like it very much

as for your comments zan, you are a deluded sad fool and it is people like you that ensure cyprus will never change from its present format
kentish
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem Solution Proposals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests