The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Ledra Street (both sides) - Easter Saturday

Visiting Cyprus? Ask any questions you have here.

Moderator: Piratis

Ledra Street (both sides) - Easter Saturday

Postby juliesewell » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:52 pm

We took advantage of our Easter Hols break of a few days and took a trip down Ledra Street in Nicosia and through the new crossing point on Saturday.

Thought I would share a few photos with you. Unfortunately, as usual - I forgot my camera but used my phone instead

Image
TRNC - around Ledra Street

Image
Efes - after the queue!

Image
Around the area of Ledra Street (TRNC)

Image
Taken in Ataturk Square

Later, we had a wander around the shopping areas on the TRNC side of Ledra Street and then lunch at one of the pavement cafes by the crossing point, before returning for a walk around the shops in the Republic side. Ledra Street itself was very busy but absolutely dead once you walked in the shopping streets behind it.

We managed to park in the underground car park situated just behind Ledra Street. Purely by good luck than by design, as it's quite a while since we've driven around that part of the city.

We gave the Mall of Cyprus a miss We didn't come to live in Cyprus to shop in Ikea and Debenhams
juliesewell
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:29 pm
Location: Limassol, Cyprus

Postby Tim Drayton » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:33 pm

I crossed over at Ledra Street last Thursday for the second time, having made a point of travelling to Nicosia to cross on the very first day.
I was happy to see the crossing still thronged with people.
I noticed that several shops in the Arasta Street area which were previously unused have now opened. I saw some other shops being refurbished so that they can be put back into service.
When I crossed over on the first day, there seemed to be some doubt in the minds of the local Turkish Cypriot merchants as to whether they would derive any benefit from the increased flows of people. I spoke to one or two merchants there last week, and the unanimous view was that the area is definitiely benefitting commercially. It seems that both Greek Cypriots and foreign tourists are spending money when they come across. This in my opinion is making a contribution towards the process of peace and reconciliation in Cyprus.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Postby tessintrnc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:I crossed over at Ledra Street last Thursday for the second time, having made a point of travelling to Nicosia to cross on the very first day.
I was happy to see the crossing still thronged with people.
I noticed that several shops in the Arasta Street area which were previously unused have now opened. I saw some other shops being refurbished so that they can be put back into service.
When I crossed over on the first day, there seemed to be some doubt in the minds of the local Turkish Cypriot merchants as to whether they would derive any benefit from the increased flows of people. I spoke to one or two merchants there last week, and the unanimous view was that the area is definitiely benefitting commercially. It seems that both Greek Cypriots and foreign tourists are spending money when they come across. This in my opinion is making a contribution towards the process of peace and reconciliation in Cyprus.


You are quite right Tim, a lot of local shopkeepers thought they would lose business as a result of the opening, but are of course delighted that the opposite has happened. I too hope that the opening contributes towards reconciliation.
Tess
ps lovely pics!!!
User avatar
tessintrnc
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2743
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Ozanköy

Postby denizaksulu » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:50 pm

tessintrnc wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:I crossed over at Ledra Street last Thursday for the second time, having made a point of travelling to Nicosia to cross on the very first day.
I was happy to see the crossing still thronged with people.
I noticed that several shops in the Arasta Street area which were previously unused have now opened. I saw some other shops being refurbished so that they can be put back into service.
When I crossed over on the first day, there seemed to be some doubt in the minds of the local Turkish Cypriot merchants as to whether they would derive any benefit from the increased flows of people. I spoke to one or two merchants there last week, and the unanimous view was that the area is definitiely benefitting commercially. It seems that both Greek Cypriots and foreign tourists are spending money when they come across. This in my opinion is making a contribution towards the process of peace and reconciliation in Cyprus.


You are quite right Tim, a lot of local shopkeepers thought they would lose business as a result of the opening, but are of course delighted that the opposite has happened. I too hope that the opening contributes towards reconciliation.
Tess
ps lovely pics!!!



It was a group of local TC traders who persistently put pressure on the TC admin to open the barricade. They had began harassing the leaders for many years. I am happy for them and indeed it will benefit the process of peace on the island.
User avatar
denizaksulu
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 36050
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 11:04 am

Re: Ledra Street (both sides) - Easter Saturday

Postby webbo » Sun May 04, 2008 12:13 am

juliesewell wrote:We took advantage of our Easter Hols break of a few days and took a trip down Ledra Street in Nicosia and through the new crossing point on Saturday.

Thought I would share a few photos with you. Unfortunately, as usual - I forgot my camera but used my phone instead

Image
TRNC - around Ledra Street

Image
Efes - after the queue!

Image
Around the area of Ledra Street (TRNC)

Image
Taken in Ataturk Square

Later, we had a wander around the shopping areas on the TRNC side of Ledra Street and then lunch at one of the pavement cafes by the crossing point, before returning for a walk around the shops in the Republic side. Ledra Street itself was very busy but absolutely dead once you walked in the shopping streets behind it.

We managed to park in the underground car park situated just behind Ledra Street. Purely by good luck than by design, as it's quite a while since we've driven around that part of the city.

We gave the Mall of Cyprus a miss We didn't come to live in Cyprus to shop in Ikea and Debenhams



Ahh! Efes!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Efes................... :)

Bubbles x 8)
User avatar
webbo
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4699
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:08 pm


Return to Cyprus Tourism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest