The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


about admins and site language

Do you have any suggestions on how we can improve our forums?

Moderator: Admin

about admins and site language

Postby test004 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:11 am

im wondering if the admins and moderators from this site are cypriot
and also im wondering why you speak only english against greek
thanks and i will be happy to see your replys
test004
Trial Member
Trial Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:15 am

Postby GAVCARoCOM » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:33 am

You are in Cyprus forum and moderators are cypriots.

Republic of Cyprus have official 3 languages which is Turkish Greek and English. Because everyone speaks english and more then one communitie in Cyprus we choose to talk English that everyone can understand each other. Cyprus is not a Greek island !!!
User avatar
GAVCARoCOM
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: LONDON PARIS KYRENIA

Postby Svetlana » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:49 am

Admin knows the definitive answer, but I would guess that English is used as it opens the Forum up to the most number of people.

Most Cypriots these days can read and write in English; it also allows input from those of Cypriot descent who have been brought up in other countries, such as Australia, the US, Uk etc - as well as many Europeans, living in Cyprus, for whom English is either their first or second language.

Of course, a large number of Cypriots do not speak Greek

Lana
User avatar
Svetlana
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Paphos

Postby iceman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:33 am

GAVCARoCOM wrote:You are in Cyprus forum and moderators are cypriots.

Republic of Cyprus have official 3 languages which is Turkish Greek and English. Because everyone speaks english and more then one communitie in Cyprus we choose to talk English that everyone can understand each other. Cyprus is not a Greek island !!!


Gav
get your facts right....Republic of Cyprus NEVER had three official languages....English is not and has never been an official language of ROC..
iceman
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2015
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Originally from Limassol now living in Kyrenia

Postby GAVCARoCOM » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:48 am

iceman wrote:
GAVCARoCOM wrote:You are in Cyprus forum and moderators are cypriots.

Republic of Cyprus have official 3 languages which is Turkish Greek and English. Because everyone speaks english and more then one communitie in Cyprus we choose to talk English that everyone can understand each other. Cyprus is not a Greek island !!!


Gav
get your facts right....Republic of Cyprus NEVER had three official languages....English is not and has never been an official language of ROC..


i didnt know because on my passport Writes 3 languages. then official is turkish and greek :lol: thanks iceman
User avatar
GAVCARoCOM
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: LONDON PARIS KYRENIA

Postby Tim Drayton » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:26 am

GAVCARoCOM wrote:
iceman wrote:
GAVCARoCOM wrote:You are in Cyprus forum and moderators are cypriots.

Republic of Cyprus have official 3 languages which is Turkish Greek and English. Because everyone speaks english and more then one communitie in Cyprus we choose to talk English that everyone can understand each other. Cyprus is not a Greek island !!!


Gav
get your facts right....Republic of Cyprus NEVER had three official languages....English is not and has never been an official language of ROC..


i didnt know because on my passport Writes 3 languages. then official is turkish and greek :lol: thanks iceman


You may have made a fatal error there. There is no Greek on a TRNC passport!
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Postby Raymanoff » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:01 am

GAVCARoCOM, 2 languages are official, Greek and Turkish...
User avatar
Raymanoff
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Vraxonisida

Postby GAVCARoCOM » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:13 am

i have british , RoC and TRNC passport :wink:
User avatar
GAVCARoCOM
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: LONDON PARIS KYRENIA

Postby Tim Drayton » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:28 am

GAVCARoCOM wrote:i have british , RoC and TRNC passport :wink:


Lucky you.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Postby Bill » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:55 am

GAVCARoCOM wrote:i have british , RoC and TRNC passport :wink:


Well that's what I call edging your bets and being prepared for any eventuality.

The mind boggles with how many TC's have ROC passports and ID cards ~ there's nothing wrong with this in a legal sense but considering the problems and the supposed general feelings of TC's I feel it's wrong in a moral sense .

It's very much a case of having your cake and eating others cake too.

Bill
Bill
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:58 am
Location: ~ Sunny South East Coast of Cyprus

Next

Return to Suggestions and Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests