The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


I withdraw

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

I withdraw

Postby Turks » Fri May 27, 2005 8:18 pm

I am sorry to leave this forum but i joined thinking it was a fair and equal for all sadly its not the case . This forum like so many before is a greek propaganda forum see relpy from admin for a simple request

From: Admin
To: Turks
Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:50 pm
Subject: Re: avatar
Hello Turks,

TRNC Flag is an illegal flag and the promotion of anything illegal is not allowed in this forum.

You can use the Turkish flag if you want. You can find it in the one of the avatars galleries.

_________________
Cyprus-Forum Administrator
Turks
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 12:12 pm
Location: UK

Postby Main_Source » Fri May 27, 2005 8:38 pm

see ya.
Main_Source
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2009
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:11 pm

Postby erolz » Fri May 27, 2005 9:21 pm

Turks

I understand your frustration. The fact is this forum is run and owned by a GC. He is free to decide how it wishes to run the forum as we are free to decide if we wish to participate here or not.

Although it may seem that the owner of the site is running in a 'propaganda' way, I personaly do not think this is the case. If it were then I myself would not participate here. In general the owner is extremely 'cautious' about censorship. If anything in general terms I think they probabaly err on the side of too little moderation and not enough. Clearly the use of the TRNC flag as an avatar is a sensitvie issue for them. However I have seen no cases where they have removed a post or blocked a users because of what that users has said.

I would urge you to not leave the forums. I would urge you to ignore the issue of what avatar you are allowed to use or not (which in the general scheme of thins is really not that important imo) and continue to particpate and share your views as a TC with the forum community. If you choose not to do this and leave I will sadly understand and respect your decision. I just respectfully suggest you do not throw away the opportuinty of sharing your view here and hearing the views of others, all over this single issue. The real issue for me is, does this site allow free speech (rather than the less important issue of free chocie of avatar) regardless of the ethnic background or position of the poster. I believe it does. If this were to change believe me when I say that I would be the first to leave.
erolz
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:00 pm
Location: Girne / Kyrenia

Postby GammaDragon » Fri May 27, 2005 9:37 pm

Well, that was quick :D


So long
User avatar
GammaDragon
Member
Member
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Piratis » Fri May 27, 2005 9:42 pm

Its kinda funny when some TCs start screaming when some nationalist GCs post some messages and use some pictures for avatars/signatures and then they accept no kind of moderation on themselves.

Erolz you are wrong than no message was ever erased. Message of that guy that posted with several nick names (Nikos Samson etc) hate messages against Turks, Islam etc were erased and I guess he was banned also.

I think the decision of the Admin is to "mildly enforce" moderate views on this forum and to leave the extremists out.

Supporting the TRNC is as extremist as a GC supporting that the solution of the Cyprus problem is the relocation of all TCs out of Cyprus. I believe the admin has been a lot more flexible with TC extremists than with the GC ones.
User avatar
Piratis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:08 pm

Postby Turks » Fri May 27, 2005 10:24 pm

erolz

Thank you for your reply but you can see comments below that reflect this forum

"Supporting the TRNC is as extremist" by Piratis

And as the flag i consider the Greek cypriot flag illegal claiming to represent the whole island which it clearly does not .

but then again it comes down to opinions and i belive this forum not to be fair but biased unfortunately , I am sorry Erolz i wish you luck and good fortune .

Bye

www.btinternet.com/~cy74
Turks
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 12:12 pm
Location: UK

Postby erolz » Fri May 27, 2005 10:26 pm

Piratis wrote:Erolz you are wrong than no message was ever erased. Message of that guy that posted with several nick names (Nikos Samson etc) hate messages against Turks, Islam etc were erased and I guess he was banned also.


I didn't say no message has ever been erased. I believe that no message has ever been erased simply because the poster was from one background or the other or that they said something the owner did not agree with. Some poster have come here to cause trouble (imo) and I beleive these people should be stopped from trying to destroy the forums. Just as I believe that posters that come here and spam the site with adverts with no other input should also be removed. There is a big difference from a GC runing a site that then removes any psot by a TC that expresses (for one example) the view that Turkish action in 74 was a 'peace mission' and one run by a GC where a new posters comes here and posts aggressive racist and inciting posts from the off who then takes action against them. Moderating a forum is not an easy job. It involves making value judgments and sometimes these will be considered wrong judgments by some - that is the reality of moderation. However I do not believe there has been (to date) moderation based on silencing on group of set of views over another.

Piratis wrote:I think the decision of the Admin is to "mildly enforce" moderate views on this forum and to leave the extremists out.


I disagree and thin in fact you are being unfair on the admin here. I do not believe they seek to enforce anything on people. They do however recognise that some people are not here to participate in the forums in an adult way but in fact come here simply to cause trouble (trolling) and I am glad they tkae the thankless taks of making such difficult value judgments and enforcing some control where they deem necessary.

Piratis wrote:Supporting the TRNC is as extremist as a GC supporting that the solution of the Cyprus problem is the relocation of all TCs out of Cyprus. I believe the admin has been a lot more flexible with TC extremists than with the GC ones.


So would you like a forum where no TC that 'supports' the TRNC is allowed to post? If so I suspect your are on the wrong forum. Like I say above moderation is never an easy task. Value judgements are never easy to make. Balance is not easy to achieve. That you feel that the GC admin is 'biased' in favour of TC and against GC is to me plain evidence of how difficult and thankless the tasl of moderation is.
erolz
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:00 pm
Location: Girne / Kyrenia

Postby erolz » Fri May 27, 2005 10:34 pm

Turks wrote:
Thank you for your reply but you can see comments below that reflect this forum

"Supporting the TRNC is as extremist" by Piratis


Piratis is not this forum nor does he run it or moderate it.

Turks wrote:
And as the flag i consider the Greek cypriot flag illegal claiming to represent the whole island which it clearly does not .

but then again it comes down to opinions and i belive this forum not to be fair but biased unfortunately , I am sorry Erolz i wish you luck and good fortune .


And I do not think the admin here would ever censor you for expressing such a view (in the appropriate section of the forum). I can see why, because of the avatar ssue you feel the moderation of the site is biased, but I can assure, as a long time particpant here, that other than this specific issue of your avatar the moderation on this site is not biased.

Turks wrote:
Bye


If that is your decsision then I say bye to you as well. I would once again urge you not to jump to conclusions. I would prefer it if you put aside the issue of the avatar and contributed to the forum in an adult and reason way - for if you did I am sure you would come to the same conclusion that I have that the forum is not moderated in a biased way (beyond perhaps a couple of relatively uniportant issue in the larger scheme of things). Forums survive and thrive by having members and diverse views and I lament the loss of every users to these forums - especialy when I feel their decision for levaing in based on assumptions that may not be correct. I am saddend by the apprent 'welcoming' of your announcment that you are leaving by some posters here - but they do not moderate the forum, they just contribute as I am sure you would be free to do.
[/quote]
erolz
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:00 pm
Location: Girne / Kyrenia

Postby Kifeas » Fri May 27, 2005 10:35 pm

Turks wrote:
And as the flag i consider the Greek cypriot flag illegal claiming to represent the whole island which it clearly does not .


Which one is the "Greek Cypriot" flag?
User avatar
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Lapithos, Kyrenia, now Pafos; Cyprus.

Postby Marinella » Sat May 28, 2005 12:24 am

Turks wrote:erolz

Thank you for your reply but you can see comments below that reflect this forum

"Supporting the TRNC is as extremist" by Piratis

And as the flag i consider the Greek cypriot flag illegal claiming to represent the whole island which it clearly does not .

but then again it comes down to opinions and i belive this forum not to be fair but biased unfortunately , I am sorry Erolz i wish you luck and good fortune .

Bye



LOL

Thought you were going after your last post?

Turks is hanging around like a wet fart :D
User avatar
Marinella
Member
Member
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 2:57 pm

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests