The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


EU Objective 1 status for "Northern" Cyprus.

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Postby shahmaran » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Makes no difference to me GR.

I can round up numbers as much as I please as I always choose to discuss greater truths, at the end of the day if you cant get passed "the finger" that points at the real issue, you are evading not me...

Avoiding answers only means 1 thing to me... :roll:
User avatar
shahmaran
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5461
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: In conflict

Postby Get Real! » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:53 pm

shahmaran wrote:Makes no difference to me GR.

I can round up numbers as much as I please as I always choose to discuss greater truths, at the end of the day if you cant get passed "the finger" that points at the real issue, you are evading not me...

Avoiding answers only means 1 thing to me... :roll:

Admit it Shah, you “Turkish Cypriots” are a bunch of slackers!

You couldn’t manage or keep a state if it was handed to you on a plate! :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40379
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Postby shahmaran » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Get Real! wrote:
shahmaran wrote:Makes no difference to me GR.

I can round up numbers as much as I please as I always choose to discuss greater truths, at the end of the day if you cant get passed "the finger" that points at the real issue, you are evading not me...

Avoiding answers only means 1 thing to me... :roll:

Admit it Shah, you “Turkish Cypriots” are a bunch of slackers!

You couldn’t manage or keep a state if it was handed to you on a plate! :lol:


Well you are the ones who have been "handed over a state" because you have never managed to own one yourselves.

Talk about slacking :lol:
User avatar
shahmaran
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5461
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: In conflict

Postby vaughanwilliams » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:44 am

shahmaran,

It doesn't suit the GCs to address the original posting because the financing of the TRNC, post solution, will prove the old saying that you should be careful about what you wish for.
User avatar
vaughanwilliams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:54 pm

Postby apc2010 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:06 am

I thought gary robb took most of the uk funds back to the uk ...????
User avatar
apc2010
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2522
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Postby larnacaman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:14 am

Vaughan,

You have brought up some very interesting points in this thread. Going by the replies from this side of the Island, it's obvious that they haven't any answers for you. So your just getting there usual rhetoric!!!

I can see some very big problems for Cyprus ...post solution, and as you say, they could be wishing for something that they now can't afford. I wonder then, how long it will take for them, to start backing away from what will then be, there responsibility, and want the EU, and everyone else to foot the bills.

I can also see consortium's of private companies coming in and offering to do the reconstructions, but it will be at a price. ....instead of Turkey owning these areas it'll be Private companies and the like. Depending on the cost to these consortiums, will in all likelihood dictate the lease durations of these areas, these consortium's will be demanding....

In fact, the more i think about the reconstruction/modernisation costs, the more problems i become aware of. As you say, the costs are going to be enormous!!!! This sides posters, are only worried about the names of various places/areas... let them now come up with some financial plans of how they are going to finance the North, and all the work needed to comply with minimal EU standards...

This is gonna be good, if they can and do in fact address these financial money pit's... My bet is you'll just get the same old rhetoric bullshit here.... and the thread be dragged down to gutter snipping again!!!
larnacaman
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Pervolia, Larnaca

Postby Piratis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:30 am

I can see some very big problems for Cyprus ...post solution


This depends on the "solution". Obviously we will not accept a "solution" that instead of solving our problems it will create more. Only an idiot would consider such thing a solution, and the majority of Cypriots are not idiots (otherwise we would have accepted the Annan plan).
User avatar
Piratis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:08 pm

Re: EU Objective 1 status for "Northern" Cyprus.

Postby Piratis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:44 am

vaughanwilliams wrote:Cyprus currently has Objective 2 status as regards the EU regional policy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_p ... pean_Union
This is because the TRNC is not taken into account.
After any reunification the whole of Cyprus may be granted Objective 1 status, or what is now Southern Cyprus may stay as O2 whilst Northern Cyprus becomes O1.
Given that this is a regional policy, and that "Eastern" Germany still enjoys O1 status after 20 odd years, what is the likelyhood of Northern Cyprus being given O1 status for a similarly long time? Also, what would be the EU funding implications of the split between O1 and O2 on the same island?


Once the north part of our country is liberated and given back to us we would be the first ones who would want to improve its economic well being. And this is the only solution we will accept. A "solution" which will officially give the north part of Cyprus to the Turks is not a solution for us and such thing will never be accepted.
User avatar
Piratis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:08 pm

Postby vaughanwilliams » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:42 am

larnacaman wrote:Vaughan,

You have brought up some very interesting points in this thread. Going by the replies from this side of the Island, it's obvious that they haven't any answers for you. So your just getting there usual rhetoric!!!

I can see some very big problems for Cyprus ...post solution, and as you say, they could be wishing for something that they now can't afford. I wonder then, how long it will take for them, to start backing away from what will then be, there responsibility, and want the EU, and everyone else to foot the bills.

I can also see consortium's of private companies coming in and offering to do the reconstructions, but it will be at a price. ....instead of Turkey owning these areas it'll be Private companies and the like. Depending on the cost to these consortiums, will in all likelihood dictate the lease durations of these areas, these consortium's will be demanding....

In fact, the more i think about the reconstruction/modernisation costs, the more problems i become aware of. As you say, the costs are going to be enormous!!!! This sides posters, are only worried about the names of various places/areas... let them now come up with some financial plans of how they are going to finance the North, and all the work needed to comply with minimal EU standards...

This is gonna be good, if they can and do in fact address these financial money pit's... My bet is you'll just get the same old rhetoric bullshit here.... and the thread be dragged down to gutter snipping again!!!


I suspect, as I think you do, that most GC posters here can't see past the emotional politics to the actual costs that would need to be addressed. A further implication to be considered is what happens if the EU regionalises the south as O2 and the north O1? In the past this has meant that most aid goes to the O1 region, to the detriment of the O2 region. In effect, the south will be starved of EU funding while still having to contribute towards the "rejuvination" of the north.
Interesting times ahead.
User avatar
vaughanwilliams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: EU Objective 1 status for "Northern" Cyprus.

Postby vaughanwilliams » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:39 am

Piratis wrote:
vaughanwilliams wrote:Cyprus currently has Objective 2 status as regards the EU regional policy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_p ... pean_Union
This is because the TRNC is not taken into account.
After any reunification the whole of Cyprus may be granted Objective 1 status, or what is now Southern Cyprus may stay as O2 whilst Northern Cyprus becomes O1.
Given that this is a regional policy, and that "Eastern" Germany still enjoys O1 status after 20 odd years, what is the likelyhood of Northern Cyprus being given O1 status for a similarly long time? Also, what would be the EU funding implications of the split between O1 and O2 on the same island?


Once the north part of our country is liberated and given back to us we would be the first ones who would want to improve its economic well being. And this is the only solution we will accept. A "solution" which will officially give the north part of Cyprus to the Turks is not a solution for us and such thing will never be accepted.


What you would want to do and what you would need to do could turn out to be very different.
User avatar
vaughanwilliams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests