The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


What are you drinking?

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Postby ZoC » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:00 pm

yialousa1971 wrote:Now on my eighth bottle of Keo. :D


are we meant to be impressed?
User avatar
ZoC
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3280
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Postby yialousa1971 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:53 pm

ZoC wrote:
yialousa1971 wrote:Now on my eighth bottle of Keo. :D


are we meant to be impressed?


Now drinking a cup of coffee. Impressed now?
User avatar
yialousa1971
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5811
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: With my friends on the Cyprus forum

Postby supporttheunderdog » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Just had a pleasant glass of Beaujolais Village Neuveau.
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8178
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Postby Oracle » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:21 pm

I dunno! :D But it's bloody good!

To Kafenes' health! :D
User avatar
Oracle
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 23507
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:13 am
Location: Anywhere but...

Postby SSBubbles » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:26 pm

denizaksulu wrote: :shock: What are you REALLY on? :?


Keep your socks on old man - it was one tiny vodka and coke! :roll: See - nothing sinister! :roll:
User avatar
SSBubbles
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11885
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:51 pm
Location: Right here! Right now!

Postby EricSeans » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Silenus wrote:
Filitsa wrote:
Silenus wrote:
Filitsa wrote:
Silenus wrote:
Gasman wrote:I was speaking American, my second language.

I believe Gregory was speaking Bostonian...


Kwafee is Long Islandese, definitely not Bostonian.

I was once asked if I would like a cup of "kauwfi" in Massachusetts somewhere. Never been to Long Island.

They've got a great accent in and around Boston though, I can't get enough of those movies in which it is depicted...'Mystic River', 'The Departed', 'Thirteen Days' (badly in the Kennedy brothers).


Perhaps the person who asked was a Long Islander living in Massachusetts. Bostonians would pronounce it "cahfee. We're lazy elocutionsists: "chowdah" instead of "chowder," "theya" instead of "there;" "foah" instead of "four." If you like the accent be sure to see The Fighter starring Micky Rourke, the actual fighter from Lowell, Massachusetts.

Thanks for the movie recommendation!

The pronunciation I heard wasn't like 'cahfee'; as you say the offerer might not have been from there. Perhaps it doesn't matter that much, but it wasn't in Boston, rather several hours away in the MA countryside. I was stopped on a back road by a state trooper and was even more impressed by his uniform and intimidating demeanor than I was by his accent.


This is bringing back some happy memories from Turners Falls, trips over the line to Brattleboro, Vermont so the <21s from Mass could get a drink. More Amaretta Sour than coffee as I remember. And oh, the grass... :oops: :wink:
User avatar
EricSeans
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby EricSeans » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:45 pm

But now it's a glass of Slovenian Laski Rizling then the rest of the bottle. :)
User avatar
EricSeans
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby SSBubbles » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 pm

EricSeans wrote:But now it's a glass of Slovenian Laski Rizling then the rest of the bottle. :)


Siga siga :lol:

I am musing about partaking in a coffee (with added Bailey's of course! :wink: )
User avatar
SSBubbles
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11885
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:51 pm
Location: Right here! Right now!

Postby Filitsa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:22 pm

EricSeans wrote:
Silenus wrote:
Filitsa wrote:
Silenus wrote:
Filitsa wrote:
Silenus wrote:
Gasman wrote:I was speaking American, my second language.

I believe Gregory was speaking Bostonian...


Kwafee is Long Islandese, definitely not Bostonian.

I was once asked if I would like a cup of "kauwfi" in Massachusetts somewhere. Never been to Long Island.

They've got a great accent in and around Boston though, I can't get enough of those movies in which it is depicted...'Mystic River', 'The Departed', 'Thirteen Days' (badly in the Kennedy brothers).


Perhaps the person who asked was a Long Islander living in Massachusetts. Bostonians would pronounce it "cahfee. We're lazy elocutionsists: "chowdah" instead of "chowder," "theya" instead of "there;" "foah" instead of "four." If you like the accent be sure to see The Fighter starring Micky Rourke, the actual fighter from Lowell, Massachusetts.

Thanks for the movie recommendation!

The pronunciation I heard wasn't like 'cahfee'; as you say the offerer might not have been from there. Perhaps it doesn't matter that much, but it wasn't in Boston, rather several hours away in the MA countryside. I was stopped on a back road by a state trooper and was even more impressed by his uniform and intimidating demeanor than I was by his accent.


This is bringing back some happy memories from Turners Falls, trips over the line to Brattleboro, Vermont so the <21s from Mass could get a drink. More Amaretta Sour than coffee as I remember. And oh, the grass... :oops: :wink:


You must be my age! :lol:
User avatar
Filitsa
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:26 am

Postby SSBubbles » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:25 pm

My cousins are always holidaying in Boston - I am going to have to ask them the attraction now :lol: :wink:
User avatar
SSBubbles
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11885
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:51 pm
Location: Right here! Right now!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests