The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Should the Cyprus National Anthem be changed?


Note: Your vote in this poll is NOT confidential. Your username will be displayed under the option(s) you select

Yes
21
60%
 
bill cobbett, boomerang, Cap, CBBB, gardash, Get Real!, humanist, insan, kentish, Maxx, Me Ed, Paphitis, Positive Vibe, Pyrpolizer, quattro, repulsewarrior, Schnauzer, Superstar, supporttheunderdog, Viewpoint, waldorf
No
14
40%
 
Byron, GreekIslandGirl, Hermes, joe, kimon07, kurupetos, pappy_sydney, proudgreekcyp, RAFAELLA, Sotos, SoulRose, wyoming cowboy, yialousa1971, ZoC
 
Total votes : 35

Re: Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

Postby B25 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:06 am

The Anthem should be change if, and only if, the Cypriot people want to change it. Not to please some MF turks, Brits and other piece of crap nation.

If you want to change any anthem, change the 'God Save the Queen' as it must be an insult to all the colonial countries in cluding the US and more so Ireland that had to fight to keep the Brits hands off their country.

I am sick of hearing what we should and shouldn't be doing by all these outside forces. The Cypriot people can decide whats best for themselves. Capish?
User avatar
B25
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Location: ** Classified **

Re: Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

Postby Viewpoint » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:21 pm

B25 wrote:The Anthem should be change if, and only if, the Cypriot people want to change it. Not to please some MF turks, Brits and other piece of crap nation.

If you want to change any anthem, change the 'God Save the Queen' as it must be an insult to all the colonial countries in cluding the US and more so Ireland that had to fight to keep the Brits hands off their country.

I am sick of hearing what we should and shouldn't be doing by all these outside forces. The Cypriot people can decide whats best for themselves. Capish?


We all know you support enosis so its no surprise you want to use their national anthem.
User avatar
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25211
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Nicosia/Lefkosa

Re: Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

Postby kimon07 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:06 pm

supporttheunderdog wrote:Bollox!

I would hardly decribe Athens as democratic when 50% of the popuation were excluded on grounds of Gender and where one had a society where the voters were estimated to be only 20% of the popllace and and hrived on the back of that most undemocratic institution, slavery.


I know you know the inacuracy of your above statements but let me point them out once more. Slavery was a general practice in the ancient world as you very well know.Slavery started being considered immoral, illegal, unethical etc only after Christianity was spread. It was when you and the Americans were conducting it that that it was immoral, indecent etc, etc. Nevertheless, you both conducted for profit and you, in particular, were the ones who spread it like a disease in all places hyou colonized. And need I remind you of the system under which the people of your island were ruled till Cromwell?

At least in an Athenian Society as woman GIG would probably have to keep her self mostly private..unless she was a hetaera .


Can you remind us all when it was that women in your island were granted a voting right please? And also be kind enough to tell us the conditions under which most women on your island lived at least up to the times your own Dickens sets his stories? Thanks in advance for educating us all.
kimon07
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3386
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

Postby B25 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Viewpoint wrote:
B25 wrote:The Anthem should be change if, and only if, the Cypriot people want to change it. Not to please some MF turks, Brits and other piece of crap nation.

If you want to change any anthem, change the 'God Save the Queen' as it must be an insult to all the colonial countries in cluding the US and more so Ireland that had to fight to keep the Brits hands off their country.

I am sick of hearing what we should and shouldn't be doing by all these outside forces. The Cypriot people can decide whats best for themselves. Capish?


We all know you support enosis so its no surprise you want to use their national anthem.

Total bollocks.
You knw jack shit hat I want, but I'll give you a clue, I want you MFs off m island and back to Mongolia and leave us in peace.
Moron.
User avatar
B25
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Location: ** Classified **

Re: Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

Postby Viewpoint » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 pm

B25 wrote:
Viewpoint wrote:
B25 wrote:The Anthem should be change if, and only if, the Cypriot people want to change it. Not to please some MF turks, Brits and other piece of crap nation.

If you want to change any anthem, change the 'God Save the Queen' as it must be an insult to all the colonial countries in cluding the US and more so Ireland that had to fight to keep the Brits hands off their country.

I am sick of hearing what we should and shouldn't be doing by all these outside forces. The Cypriot people can decide whats best for themselves. Capish?


We all know you support enosis so its no surprise you want to use their national anthem.

Total bollocks.
You knw jack shit hat I want, but I'll give you a clue, I want you MFs off m island and back to Mongolia and leave us in peace.
Moron.


FO
User avatar
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25211
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Nicosia/Lefkosa

Re: Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

Postby kurupetos » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:00 am

:lol:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17911
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

Postby kimon07 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:49 pm

So, the British brigade wants a new anthem eh? Here is my suggestion for one.

(Ποιητής Ιωάννης Περδίος)

Η Κύπρος μας που στέναζε τόσους αιώνες σκλάβα
και μάτωναν τα χέρια της τόσα βαριά δεσμά,
απ τη ψυχή της έχυσε τη φλογερή της λάβα
κι άνοιξε δρόμο φωτεινό να βρει τη Λευτεριά.

Σε κάθε πόλη και χωριό η λάβα της ξαπλώνει
σκλαβιάς να λειώσουν σίδερα και να ξεσκλαβωθεί
και στους ανέμους πού φυσούν η φλόγα της φουντώνει
και φλέγεται στης μάνας της τους κόρφους να ριφθεί.

Κι ας έλθουν όσοι είπανε την Κύπρο μας τσιγγάνα,
και την πλαστογραφούσανε χωρίς καμιά ντροπή,
να δουν κι αυτοί πως καίγεται για τη γλυκιά της μάνα
κι η γλώσσα τους να ρουφηχτή πριν σίρριζα κοπή.

http://www.churchofcyprus.org.cy/docume ... _VALUE.pdf
kimon07
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3386
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

Postby kimon07 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:55 pm

Another suggestion for a new national anthem (lyrics).

Θεέ μου τζιαί συχχώρησε τούς λάς που μάς μισούσιν,

Θεέ μου τζιαί ξησκλάβωσε τήν άχαρην φυλήν μας,

Θεέ μου τζιαί στερέωννε τούς λάς πού πολεμούσιν,

Θεέ μου τζιαί συχχώρα μας τζιαί δέχτου τήν ψυσιήν μας!

From the poem of Vassilis Michaelides «9th July 1821»

OR, my version

Θεέ μου τζιαί αφάνισε τούς λάς που μάς μισούσιν,

Θεέ μου τζιαί ξησκλάβωσε την άχαρη φυλήν μας,

Θεέ μου δώκε φώτισιν σ΄όποιους μας κυβερνούσιν,

Θεέ μου αφουγκράστου μας και σιέπε το νησίν μας.
kimon07
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3386
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

Postby yialousa1971 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:49 am

kimon07 wrote:Another suggestion for a new national anthem (lyrics).

Θεέ μου τζιαί συχχώρησε τούς λάς που μάς μισούσιν,

Θεέ μου τζιαί ξησκλάβωσε τήν άχαρην φυλήν μας,

Θεέ μου τζιαί στερέωννε τούς λάς πού πολεμούσιν,

Θεέ μου τζιαί συχχώρα μας τζιαί δέχτου τήν ψυσιήν μας!

From the poem of Vassilis Michaelides «9th July 1821»

OR, my version

Θεέ μου τζιαί αφάνισε τούς λάς που μάς μισούσιν,

Θεέ μου τζιαί ξησκλάβωσε την άχαρη φυλήν μας,

Θεέ μου δώκε φώτισιν σ΄όποιους μας κυβερνούσιν,

Θεέ μου αφουγκράστου μας και σιέπε το νησίν μας.


Kimon according to another Greek blog I read, Dionysios Solomos mother was a Cypriot! Have you ever heard this before?
User avatar
yialousa1971
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5811
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: With my friends on the Cyprus forum

Re: Should Cyprus change its National Anthem?

Postby kimon07 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:01 am

yialousa1971 wrote:Kimon according to another Greek blog I read, Dionysios Solomos mother was a Cypriot! Have you ever heard this before?


No but that would be veeeeery interesting. I will research a bit and come back.
kimon07
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3386
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 am

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests