The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

We all need a good laugh.

The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

Postby Me Ed » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:55 am

Some years ago a small rural town in Spain twinned with a similar town in Greece.

The Mayor of the Greek town visited the Spanish town.

When he saw the palatial mansion belonging to the Spanish mayor he wondered how he could afford such a house.

The Spaniard said; "You see that bridge over there? The EU gave us a grant to build a two-lane bridge, but by building a single lane bridge with traffic lights at either end this house could be built".

The following year the Spaniard visited the Greek town. He was simply amazed at the Greek Mayor's house, gold taps, marble floors, it was marvelous.

When he asked how this could be afforded the Greek said; "You see that bridge over there?"

The Spaniard replied; "No."
User avatar
Me Ed
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Re: The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

Postby kurupetos » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:40 pm

:lol:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17896
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

Postby Hermes » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Actually one of the criticisms you can level at Greece is that it hasn't been spending enough of the EU money allocated towards it. Greece has spent only a quarter of the 20 billion-euro package provided as part of the EU's regional aid programme because Greece is unable to pay its contribution to projects which the aid is meant to co-finance.

There are lots of blocked programs in Greece because of this, not just bridges but five motorway projects. Because infrastructure spending is a good way to kick-start economic growth you should expect the EU to be looking at ways to make sure Greece builds lots more bridges as well as roads! :D
User avatar
Hermes
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mount Olympus

Re: The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

Postby kurupetos » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Hermes, your joke is good too. :lol:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17896
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

Postby Hermes » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:35 pm

kurupetos wrote:Hermes, your joke is good too. :lol:

Bridges are good, kurupetos. Here is the Rio-Antirio bridge in Greece funded by the EU. Finished ahead of schedule and within budget. Beautiful, don't you think? :wink:

Image
User avatar
Hermes
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mount Olympus

Re: The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Hermes wrote:
kurupetos wrote:Hermes, your joke is good too. :lol:

Bridges are good, kurupetos. Here is the Rio-Antirio bridge in Greece funded by the EU. Finished ahead of schedule and within budget. Beautiful, don't you think? :wink:

Image


That's a phenomenal bridge. Driven over it once and it was awesome. Stunning to sail close to as well . :D Love it - can't beat the Greeks when they set their minds to things.

As for the infrastructure; they may have some blocked projects at the moment, but they certainly made some hefty improvements within the Peloponnese (despite the extra setbacks from the year of devastating fires).
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8948
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

Postby supporttheunderdog » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:19 pm

User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8158
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

Postby Hermes » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:57 pm

Someone really ought to do something about those corrupt Germans:

How Corrupt Is Germany?

Germany is reeling. Deutschland GmbH, famed for the quality of its products rather than the largesse of its bribes, has been rocked by scandal after scandal. Nowhere is this more evident and more surprising than in the case of Siemens, the Bavarian power and communications giant embroiled in the largest bribery case in the history of the Federal Republic.

Siemens is not alone, however. Volkswagen, DaimlerChrysler, Deutsche Bank, Infineon, Deutsche Bahn, GM/Opel, Linde and Ratiopharm have all been the subject of stories about questionable practices that management either knew nothing of or actively participated in.


http://www.cnbcmagazine.com/story/how-c ... many/85/1/
User avatar
Hermes
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mount Olympus

Re: The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

Postby kurupetos » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:35 am

Hermes wrote:Someone really ought to do something about those corrupt Germans:

How Corrupt Is Germany?

Germany is reeling. Deutschland GmbH, famed for the quality of its products rather than the largesse of its bribes, has been rocked by scandal after scandal. Nowhere is this more evident and more surprising than in the case of Siemens, the Bavarian power and communications giant embroiled in the largest bribery case in the history of the Federal Republic.

Siemens is not alone, however. Volkswagen, DaimlerChrysler, Deutsche Bank, Infineon, Deutsche Bahn, GM/Opel, Linde and Ratiopharm have all been the subject of stories about questionable practices that management either knew nothing of or actively participated in.


http://www.cnbcmagazine.com/story/how-c ... many/85/1/

That's old news (April 2007). :roll:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17896
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: The Benefits of being in the Eurozone

Postby Hermes » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:54 am

kurupetos wrote:
Hermes wrote:Someone really ought to do something about those corrupt Germans:

How Corrupt Is Germany?

Germany is reeling. Deutschland GmbH, famed for the quality of its products rather than the largesse of its bribes, has been rocked by scandal after scandal. Nowhere is this more evident and more surprising than in the case of Siemens, the Bavarian power and communications giant embroiled in the largest bribery case in the history of the Federal Republic.

Siemens is not alone, however. Volkswagen, DaimlerChrysler, Deutsche Bank, Infineon, Deutsche Bahn, GM/Opel, Linde and Ratiopharm have all been the subject of stories about questionable practices that management either knew nothing of or actively participated in.


http://www.cnbcmagazine.com/story/how-c ... many/85/1/

That's old news (April 2007). :roll:


Is it?

The year is 2011, how corrupt is Germany?
http://www.hellenesonline.com/go/2011/0 ... s-germany/

In The Fight Against Corruption Germany Falls Behind
http://blog.transparency.org/2011/05/16 ... ls-behind/
User avatar
Hermes
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mount Olympus

Next

Return to Jokes and Enigmas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests