The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Re: To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:26 pm

kurupetos wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
kurupetos wrote:
Cap wrote:Forgive me.. but I have a hard time connecting Ancient Greece to the modern state.
Although I give credit to the awesome splendor of the ancients, how they've influenced every corner of the earth... the burning question remains:

What on Gawd's beautiful green earth happened after April 6, 1453?
Even more burning... after 1821?

Exactly! You shouldn't compare ancient Greece/Greeks with the modern Greek state.

Cypriots are descendants of the ancient Greeks and not the modern Greeks (Kalamaraes).

I hope it's all clear now. We're Hellenes! :wink:


That's not very accurate. There have been other waves of migrations, to and fro, and continual mixing up to and including the present day.

The point I was trying to make is that Hellenism is neither restricted, nor depended, to the modern Greek state.

Over the years, Hellenism has flourished throughout the whole world and will never die, even if the Rep. of Greece will vanish tomorrow. :wink:


That's fine. Completely agree with that. Greece will always be the heartland, the birthplace of humanity, no matter what it's called (but nevertheless, μη κακό).
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:42 pm

kurupetos wrote:Over the years, Hellenism has flourished throughout the whole world and will never die ...


A truism! :)

John Stuart Mill believed, and stated, that "the Battle of Marathon, even as an event in British history, is more important than the Battle of Hastings".

Says something, huh! That so much can be owed by so many to so few of our fathers/mothers of Hellenism.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Postby Sotos » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:22 pm

supporttheunderdog wrote:
kurupetos wrote:
Cap wrote:Forgive me.. but I have a hard time connecting Ancient Greece to the modern state.
Although I give credit to the awesome splendor of the ancients, how they've influenced every corner of the earth... the burning question remains:

What on Gawd's beautiful green earth happened after April 6, 1453?
Even more burning... after 1821?

Exactly! You shouldn't compare ancient Greece/Greeks with the modern Greek state.

Cypriots are descendants of the ancient Greeks and not the modern Greeks (Kalamaraes).

I hope it's all clear now. We're Hellenes! :wink:

Bullsh*t. Cypriots are descended from Ancient Cypriots. Hellenism was imposed by virtue of conquest not settlement.


Bullshit. Cypriots are Greek. But the English are a Germanic race who imposed themselves on Britain by conquest. :twisted:
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10662
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Postby kurupetos » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:02 pm

ZoC wrote:
kurupetos wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:Exactly! You shouldn't compare ancient Greece/Greeks with the modern Greek state.

Cypriots are descendants of the ancient Greeks and not the modern Greeks (Kalamaraes).

I hope it's all clear now. We're Hellenes! :wink:


That's not very accurate. There have been other waves of migrations, to and fro, and continual mixing up to and including the present day.


and G-I-G is living proof of this continued mix up.

No mixing involved. She's 100% Greek like every Cypriot. :wink:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17911
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Postby kurupetos » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 pm

supporttheunderdog wrote:
kurupetos wrote:Interesting stuff Kimon.

The Spaniards are also of Greek origin. Iberia is a Greek word. :wink:

The Greek historian Herodotus (5th C BC) provided the first clues about Greek visitors to Spain. According to Herodotus, the first Greek to land in Iberia (as the Greeks called the peninsula) was a sea captain, Kolaios, around the year 640 BC. Kolaios, from the Aegean island of Samos, was ostensibly on his way to Egypt when a storm blew his ship off-course and he landed eventually in Tartessus. Here he and his sailors were well received by the king, whose name --Arganthonius, man of the silver mountain– gives a clue to the mineral wealth of the area. They exchanged goods and Kolaios returned to Samos with a vast cargo of silver, the like of which had never before been brought back by any Greek ship. What remains uncertain is whether Kolaios was really bound for Egypt or whether some Phoenician rumours of great wealth in the western Mediterranean spurred him to make the journey. It could well be the latter.


http://www.spainthenandnow.com/spanish- ... lt_39.aspx


Oh my! oh my! oh my! Did you actually read what the article said?

The Spanish are not Greek.
I think you will find the article you post suggests that while the name may be Greek the inhabitants were not: indeed there was probbaly only one Greek Settlment on the Iberian peninsular where the Greeks livedin walled enclosure with one guarded gate.

Scary, isn't it? :lol:

Panhellenism all over the globe... :D
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17911
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Postby ZoC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:56 pm

kurupetos wrote:
ZoC wrote:
kurupetos wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:Exactly! You shouldn't compare ancient Greece/Greeks with the modern Greek state.

Cypriots are descendants of the ancient Greeks and not the modern Greeks (Kalamaraes).

I hope it's all clear now. We're Hellenes! :wink:


That's not very accurate. There have been other waves of migrations, to and fro, and continual mixing up to and including the present day.


and G-I-G is living proof of this continued mix up.

No mixing involved. She's 100% Greek like every Cypriot. :wink:


christ, i can extract more meaningful nuggets of discourse with the aid of a loo brush.
User avatar
ZoC
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3280
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:22 am

kurupetos wrote:
supporttheunderdog wrote:
kurupetos wrote:Interesting stuff Kimon.

The Spaniards are also of Greek origin. Iberia is a Greek word. :wink:

The Greek historian Herodotus (5th C BC) provided the first clues about Greek visitors to Spain. According to Herodotus, the first Greek to land in Iberia (as the Greeks called the peninsula) was a sea captain, Kolaios, around the year 640 BC. Kolaios, from the Aegean island of Samos, was ostensibly on his way to Egypt when a storm blew his ship off-course and he landed eventually in Tartessus. Here he and his sailors were well received by the king, whose name --Arganthonius, man of the silver mountain– gives a clue to the mineral wealth of the area. They exchanged goods and Kolaios returned to Samos with a vast cargo of silver, the like of which had never before been brought back by any Greek ship. What remains uncertain is whether Kolaios was really bound for Egypt or whether some Phoenician rumours of great wealth in the western Mediterranean spurred him to make the journey. It could well be the latter.


http://www.spainthenandnow.com/spanish- ... lt_39.aspx


Oh my! oh my! oh my! Did you actually read what the article said?

The Spanish are not Greek.
I think you will find the article you post suggests that while the name may be Greek the inhabitants were not: indeed there was probbaly only one Greek Settlment on the Iberian peninsular where the Greeks livedin walled enclosure with one guarded gate.

Scary, isn't it? :lol:

Panhellenism all over the globe... :D


Yeah, let's not forget our Eastern brothers of the Graeco-Indian Kingdom :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Greek_kingdom
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Postby Get Real! » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:16 am

kurupetos wrote:The point I was trying to make is that Hellenism is neither restricted, nor depended, to the modern Greek state.

It's all in the head of those who invented and of those who believed in all this imaginary shit! :lol:

Over the years, Hellenism has flourished throughout the whole world and will never die, even if the Rep. of Greece will vanish tomorrow. :wink:

Dude, had you been raised by a Chinese couple today you'd be eating rice and speaking Mandarin or Cantonese, but due to the fact that you were raised with lies today you're talking shit!

Let common sense guide you in life…
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40427
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Postby wyoming cowboy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:44 am

Cap wrote:Forgive me.. but I have a hard time connecting Ancient Greece to the modern state.
Although I give credit to the awesome splendor of the ancients, how they've influenced every corner of the earth... the burning question remains:

What on Gawd's beautiful green earth happened after April 6, 1453?
Even more burning... after 1821?



APOEL qualified for the European championship...
User avatar
wyoming cowboy
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:15 am

Re: To all who deny Cypriot Greekness, you fail!!!!!

Postby yialousa1971 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:47 am

Italy, Ireland and Spain etc............

posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=37218
User avatar
yialousa1971
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5811
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: With my friends on the Cyprus forum

Previous

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests