The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Propose and discuss specific solutions to aspects of the Cyprus Problem

Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Postby Me Ed » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:45 am

From another thread:

Me Ed wrote:Yes, some out-of-the-box thinking is required as both partition and any solutions giving privilege based on ethnicity are out of the question, especially in this day and age (post apartheid South Africa).

What is required is the Cypriotization of Cyprus which should be led by the RoC and formed of a delegation of Cypriots from both sides of the divide to define the following:

1) what it is to be a Cypriot including culture and cuisine etc.
2) a set of values that identifies us as Cypriots.
3) a new flag
4) a new national anthem

These should then be implemented by the RoC, with the removal of the flags of foreign countries as a symbol of the RoC and the replacement of the national anthem.

The display of other flags will be acceptable in places of worship and other specially defined establishments, but banned in Government buildings.

If an establishment, such as a Hotel, wishes to display the flag of Greece, the flag of Turkey must also be displayed along side it and vice-versa.

Affirmation of a visible Cypriot identity by the RoC will then give the TCs trapped in the occupied areas something to aspire to and to eventually join maintream Cypriot society as equal Cypriots and EU citizens.
User avatar
Me Ed
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Re: Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Postby Cap » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:48 am

Yes.

The cream of cultures, the best of the best of all foreign occupiers (except for the inferior terrorist Islamic regime).
All rolled into one.

Cypriotization.
User avatar
Cap
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Cypriot Empire

Re: Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Postby Me Ed » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:53 am

Whilst I cannot say what the settlers represent, our fellow Cypriots up north aren't exactly your fundamentalist types.
User avatar
Me Ed
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Re: Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Postby Sotos » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:10 pm

3) a new flag

Is our flag not Cypriot enough? :?

The display of other flags will be acceptable in places of worship and other specially defined establishments, but banned in Government buildings.


Government buildings only have Cyprus and EU flags.

If an establishment, such as a Hotel, wishes to display the flag of Greece, the flag of Turkey must also be displayed along side it and vice-versa.

Why?
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10662
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Oh for goodness sake! :roll:

We are illegally occupied by Turkey. We are trying to remove them from our country. We are not trying to legalise their occupation!

Have some respect.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Postby Panicos UK » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Me Ed wrote:From another thread:

Me Ed wrote:Yes, some out-of-the-box thinking is required as both partition and any solutions giving privilege based on ethnicity are out of the question, especially in this day and age (post apartheid South Africa).

What is required is the Cypriotization of Cyprus which should be led by the RoC and formed of a delegation of Cypriots from both sides of the divide to define the following:

1) what it is to be a Cypriot including culture and cuisine etc.
2) a set of values that identifies us as Cypriots.
3) a new flag
4) a new national anthem

These should then be implemented by the RoC, with the removal of the flags of foreign countries as a symbol of the RoC and the replacement of the national anthem.

The display of other flags will be acceptable in places of worship and other specially defined establishments, but banned in Government buildings.

If an establishment, such as a Hotel, wishes to display the flag of Greece, the flag of Turkey must also be displayed along side it and vice-versa.

Affirmation of a visible Cypriot identity by the RoC will then give the TCs trapped in the occupied areas something to aspire to and to eventually join maintream Cypriot society as equal Cypriots and EU citizens.


The only problem is that sometimes when you try to forcefully prove or demonstrate something, this indirectly proves that the entity or concept itself (in this case Cypriotness) doesn't exist. It might be a nice idea, but Cyprus is a melting pot of cultures and the 'Greek' culture is the most prominent.
User avatar
Panicos UK
Member
Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Southend on Sea, UK

Re: Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Postby humanist » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:55 pm

The TC's are too entrenched in their racism to be Cypriotised .... we have the status quo till they become extinct and then our fight will be to rid if the settlers that have been brought into Cyprus illegally to change demographics ... a War Crime according to UN.


I also love the Cypriot Flag and probably a good example where the TC's played part in the Cypriot society in a positive respected manner. But if they really want to change the flag upon a Reunification am supportive of this also.
User avatar
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:46 am

Re: Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Postby Viewpoint » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:19 pm

humanist wrote:The TC's are too entrenched in their racism to be Cypriotised .... we have the status quo till they become extinct and then our fight will be to rid if the settlers that have been brought into Cyprus illegally to change demographics ... a War Crime according to UN.


I also love the Cypriot Flag and probably a good example where the TC's played part in the Cypriot society in a positive respected manner. But if they really want to change the flag upon a Reunification am supportive of this also.


What unification?
User avatar
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25211
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Nicosia/Lefkosa

Re: Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Postby Get Real! » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Me Ed wrote:If an establishment, such as a Hotel, wishes to display the flag of Greece, the flag of Turkey must also be displayed along side it and vice-versa.

Absolutely! The Greek and Turkish flags must be eternally paired to represent the "two communities" that so many are on about. Alternatively they can omit the pair and just hoist the Cypriot.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40428
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Should Cyprus be Cypriotized?

Postby Get Real! » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Panicos UK wrote:The only problem is that sometimes when you try to forcefully prove or demonstrate something, this indirectly proves that the entity or concept itself (in this case Cypriotness) doesn't exist. It might be a nice idea, but Cyprus is a melting pot of cultures and the 'Greek' culture is the most prominent.

I don't think so. But I can see the influence from your Greek-sponsored gymnasium education! :lol:

You are all like a bunch of factory Wombles! :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40428
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Next

Return to Cyprus Problem Solution Proposals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests