The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Postby Hermes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Here we can keep up to date with all the activities and events of Cyprus's Presidency of the European Union.

For details check out: http://www.cy2012.eu/en/page/home

Please feel free to add events as they occur. For tweets from the Cyprus' Presidency you can follow cy2012eu at https://twitter.com/cy2012eu

Exciting times ahead, boys and girls...
User avatar
Hermes
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mount Olympus

Re: CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:23 pm

Very useful. I don't have a clue about the twitter though.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Postby Hermes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:34 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:Very useful. I don't have a clue about the twitter though.

GIG, first you sign up for a twitter account at twitter.com. Then you simply add people, institutions or news sources you want to follow. Which means everytime they make an announcement (a 'tweet') you get to know about it. You can also search what people are saying about something that interests you under hashtags(#) such as #greece or #cyprus. You can also make announcements yourself which other people can read (once you have people who follow your account) or you can send your comments to #greece or #cyprus for people to look at.

It's actually not as complicated as it sounds... and quite useful.
User avatar
Hermes
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mount Olympus

Re: CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Hermes wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:Very useful. I don't have a clue about the twitter though.

GIG, first you sign up for a twitter account at twitter.com. Then you simply add people, institutions or news sources you want to follow. Which means everytime they make an announcement (a 'tweet') you get to know about it. You can also search what people are saying about something that interests you under hashtags(#) such as #greece or #cyprus. You can also make announcements yourself which other people can read (once you have people who follow your account) or you can send your comments to #greece or #cyprus for people to look at.

It's actually not as complicated as it sounds... and quite useful.


Can I follow meaningful sources without creating an account? And how do you know those 'tweeting' are official?
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Postby Hermes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:28 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:Can I follow meaningful sources without creating an account?

You can but it's easier if you have an account because once you log in to your account all the tweets come to your home page instead of you having to look up each one. Especially if you follow a lot of sources.
And how do you know those 'tweeting' are official?

There are some imposters out there - mainly of famous people - but you can usually tell by the number of followers if they are genuine or not. Famous 'tweeters' will have many thousands of followers - sometimes millions. You generally pick up pretty quickly who's genuine and who isn't. Also their twitter accounts will be promoted say on their web page.
User avatar
Hermes
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mount Olympus

Re: CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Postby Hermes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:32 pm

The six month Programme of the Cyprus Presidency is now online:
http://www.cy2012.eu/index.php/en/file/ ... o9+AUZw==/

Watch Pres. Christofias in a short video on the Presidency Priorities:
http://www.cy2012.eu/en/page/videos/cha ... y/video-52
User avatar
Hermes
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mount Olympus

Re: CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Postby bill cobbett » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:37 pm

Hermes wrote:The six month Programme of the Cyprus Presidency is now online:
http://www.cy2012.eu/index.php/en/file/ ... o9+AUZw==/

Watch Pres. Christofias in a short video on the Presidency Priorities:
http://www.cy2012.eu/en/page/videos/cha ... y/video-52


The Programme at the first link contains the following on Enlargement ... :D

Enlargement
The prospect of membership provides a strong incentive for democratic transformation, structural reforms and regional co-operation. The Cyprus Presidency will ensure that the enlargement agenda of the EU remains high amongst its priorities and will, therefore, further advance the process, on the basis of the “own merits” approach and strict conditionality.
The Cyprus Presidency is determined to contribute in taking forward Iceland’s accession negotiations, aiming at bringing the process as close as possible to its conclusion.
Moreover, the reinforcement of Turkey’s accession prospect is of critical importance and the Presidency will focus on advancing this prospect, in line with Turkey’s Negotiating Framework and relevant Council conclusions.
The Cyprus Presidency stands ready to implement swiftly the Union’s decision to open accession negotiations with Montenegro and to contribute to the decisive advancement of these negotiations.
The Presidency will seek to build on the momentum created by European Council Decision to grant candidate status to Serbia, a key country in the Western Balkans, aiming potentially to a European Council decision for the opening of accession negotiations.
User avatar
bill cobbett
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 15760
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 pm
Location: Embargoed from Kyrenia by Jurkish Army and Genocided (many times) by Thieving, Brain-Washed Lordo

Re: CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Hermes wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:Can I follow meaningful sources without creating an account?

You can but it's easier if you have an account because once you log in to your account all the tweets come to your home page instead of you having to look up each one. Especially if you follow a lot of sources.
And how do you know those 'tweeting' are official?

There are some imposters out there - mainly of famous people - but you can usually tell by the number of followers if they are genuine or not. Famous 'tweeters' will have many thousands of followers - sometimes millions. You generally pick up pretty quickly who's genuine and who isn't. Also their twitter accounts will be promoted say on their web page.


Thanks, Hermes. Who is responsible for tweeting stuff about the Cyprus-EU Presidency?
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Postby Hermes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:40 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:Thanks, Hermes. Who is responsible for tweeting stuff about the Cyprus-EU Presidency?

Official stuff is tweeted by a guy based in Brussels called N. Christodoulides who tweets here: https://twitter.com/cy2012eu_nc
Also Marianna Karageorgis https://twitter.com/cy2012eu_mk
And somebody from Nicosia who seems to run the official Cyprus end of the site. Probably a journalist/spokesperson.

If anybody wants to follow our esteemed Foreign Minister she (apparently) tweets here: https://twitter.com/eratokm1 under the twitter name @eratokm1
User avatar
Hermes
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mount Olympus

Re: CYPRUS EU PRESIDENCY CALENDAR

Postby Hermes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:50 pm

bill cobbett wrote:Moreover, the reinforcement of Turkey’s accession prospect is of critical importance and the Presidency will focus on advancing this prospect, in line with Turkey’s Negotiating Framework and relevant Council conclusions.


Looks like we're going out of our way to assist Turkey's EU accession process. Very generous of us. Exactly like an even-handed Presidency should behave! :D
User avatar
Hermes
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mount Olympus

Next

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests