The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

For Cypriots in the UK, Australia, USA and the rest of the world.

CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

Postby bill cobbett » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:15 pm

News reported by the CY Mail at http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/citiz ... y/20120630


... of a legal challenge to the the ancestry provisions of the National Guard law that determines foreign nationals to be liable for service in the NG of the Republic through [b]ancestry [/b]even though no application has been made or granted for CY citizenship.

The Court has ruled that the National Guard law that has relied on ancestry through a Cypriot parentage to compel males who are not Cypriot Citizens to serve is void and illegal.

The CY Ministry of Defence is appealing the judgment but as things stand, this ruling has massive implications for those in the Diaspora who can no longer be deemed by the CY MoD to be liable for service in the NG, no matter how long they stay in CY, unless they apply for and are granted CY citizenship.
User avatar
bill cobbett
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 15760
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 pm
Location: Embargoed from Kyrenia by Jurkish Army and Genocided (many times) by Thieving, Brain-Washed Lordo

Re: CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

Postby CBBB » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:26 pm

You're still screwed if your father and/or grandfather are Cypriot. This case only applies where the mother is Cypriot, and the father is not.
User avatar
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

Postby supporttheunderdog » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:08 pm

may find that bit goes down too! sex discrimination and all that.
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

Postby CBBB » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:31 pm

supporttheunderdog wrote:may find that bit goes down too! sex discrimination and all that.


For boys born between August 1960 and June 1999, it is the father's nationality which is important, after June 1999 either parent being Cypriot means the boys have to serve in the NG. So they removed the sex discrimination, they just didn't make it retroactive.
User avatar
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

Postby bill cobbett » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Yes, think the whole rotten idea of a foreigner being deemed a citizen through ancestry is being questioned in this ruling... and atop that the "sexist" clauses.

These laws are in a mess.
User avatar
bill cobbett
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 15760
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 pm
Location: Embargoed from Kyrenia by Jurkish Army and Genocided (many times) by Thieving, Brain-Washed Lordo

Re: CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:20 pm

CBBB wrote:You're still screwed if your father and/or grandfather are Cypriot. This case only applies where the mother is Cypriot, and the father is not.


No, it now applies if the mother is GC also. We were told, about a month ago, my son will be due for his.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

Postby CBBB » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:46 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
CBBB wrote:You're still screwed if your father and/or grandfather are Cypriot. This case only applies where the mother is Cypriot, and the father is not.


No, it now applies if the mother is GC also. We were told, about a month ago, my son will be due for his.


Not if he was born between August 1960 and June 1999, as were my sons.
User avatar
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:16 pm

CBBB wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
CBBB wrote:You're still screwed if your father and/or grandfather are Cypriot. This case only applies where the mother is Cypriot, and the father is not.


No, it now applies if the mother is GC also. We were told, about a month ago, my son will be due for his.


Not if he was born between August 1960 and June 1999, as were my sons.


He was born in that time frame. But we still got taken aside by passport control/ immigration when he last traveled with me about a month ago. He was told next time he visits, he is staying or will need an exit visa. He already told them he wants to do it. Either here or back in Greece. They smiled warmly. Needless to say, I came without him on my last trip.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

Postby CBBB » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:37 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
CBBB wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
CBBB wrote:You're still screwed if your father and/or grandfather are Cypriot. This case only applies where the mother is Cypriot, and the father is not.


No, it now applies if the mother is GC also. We were told, about a month ago, my son will be due for his.


Not if he was born between August 1960 and June 1999, as were my sons.


He was born in that time frame. But we still got taken aside by passport control/ immigration when he last traveled with me about a month ago. He was told next time he visits, he is staying or will need an exit visa. He already told them he wants to do it. Either here or back in Greece. They smiled warmly. Needless to say, I came without him on my last trip.


The article is talking about a Supreme Court ruling, which I presume was made this week, which says he doesn't have to serve.
User avatar
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: CY Court Rules Against National Guard Ancestry Law

Postby kurupetos » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:26 pm

CBBB wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
CBBB wrote:You're still screwed if your father and/or grandfather are Cypriot. This case only applies where the mother is Cypriot, and the father is not.


No, it now applies if the mother is GC also. We were told, about a month ago, my son will be due for his.


Not if he was born between August 1960 and June 1999, as were my sons.

IMO, you and your sons should serve too. :evil:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17911
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Next

Return to Cypriot Diaspora

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests