The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Ask any specific question related to Cyprus.

Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Postby acaldeira » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi, I have dual citizenship of Cypriot (from my mother) and Portuguese citizenship from my father.

I was born in South Africa and lived there for 11 years and moved to Cyprus 4 years ago, i am only 15 now, but i am wondering for the future, will i have to do the army even though my father is not Cypriot?

If I leave Cyprus with my Portuguese passport when its time for me to do the army, what can they do?
I don't plan to live in Cyprus when i'm of age to serve in the army, only to come on holiday a few times a year to visit family.
I am aware that the laws may change by then, but i want to know what would happen if the laws stay the same.. and how long would i have to serve for if i have to do the army.
acaldeira
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Postby SKI-preo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:13 am

you should serve Cyprus even if you can't stay there.
User avatar
SKI-preo
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:17 am
Location: New Zealand/Australia

Re: Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Postby CBBB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:46 am

According to this article http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/citiz ... y/20120630, as you were born between August 16, 1960 and June 11, 1999, you don't have to serve.
User avatar
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Postby acaldeira » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:46 am

CBBB wrote:According to this article http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/citiz ... y/20120630, as you were born between August 16, 1960 and June 11, 1999, you don't have to serve.


I have a Cypriot passport and I.D swell as a portuguese passport and I.D
acaldeira
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Postby CBBB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:48 am

acaldeira wrote:
CBBB wrote:According to this article http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/citiz ... y/20120630, as you were born between August 16, 1960 and June 11, 1999, you don't have to serve.


I have a Cypriot passport and I.D swell as a portuguese passport and I.D


That is different then, but if you only come here for holidays you will be OK.
User avatar
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Postby acaldeira » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:02 am

CBBB wrote:
acaldeira wrote:
CBBB wrote:According to this article http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/citiz ... y/20120630, as you were born between August 16, 1960 and June 11, 1999, you don't have to serve.


I have a Cypriot passport and I.D swell as a portuguese passport and I.D


That is different then, but if you only come here for holidays you will be OK.


Is there a certain amount of time I can stay in Cyprus for the holidays?
Willi need something like an exit visa to leave Cyprus?
acaldeira
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Postby Get Real! » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 am

Acaldeira,

You should think hard about WHERE you’re planning to live in the next 5-10 years because if its Cyprus then you’d better get your national service over and done with because the obligation is not going away. Talk to your parents to find out what their intentions are.

As for the legal aspects refer to this PDF...

http://www.army.gov.cy/wp-content/uploa ... u-2011.pdf
Last edited by Get Real! on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40430
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Postby acaldeira » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 am

Get Real! wrote:Acaldeira,

You should think hard about WHERE you’re planning to live in the next 5-10 years because if its Cyprus then you’d better get your national service over and done with because the obligation is not going away. Talk to your parents to find out what their intentions are.

IO am planing to live oversease in England or Australia
acaldeira
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Postby Get Real! » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:31 am

acaldeira wrote:
Get Real! wrote:Acaldeira,

You should think hard about WHERE you’re planning to live in the next 5-10 years because if its Cyprus then you’d better get your national service over and done with because the obligation is not going away. Talk to your parents to find out what their intentions are.

IO am planing to live oversease in England or Australia

Ok then, this PDF explains all the legalities but its in Greek...

http://www.army.gov.cy/wp-content/uploa ... u-2011.pdf
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40430
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Cyprus army with dual citizenship

Postby acaldeira » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:10 am

Get Real! wrote:
acaldeira wrote:
Get Real! wrote:Acaldeira,

You should think hard about WHERE you’re planning to live in the next 5-10 years because if its Cyprus then you’d better get your national service over and done with because the obligation is not going away. Talk to your parents to find out what their intentions are.

IO am planing to live oversease in England or Australia

Ok then, this PDF explains all the legalities but its in Greek...

http://www.army.gov.cy/wp-content/uploa ... u-2011.pdf


sorry but i don't know greek.. any chance of an English version?
acaldeira
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Next

Return to Cyprus Questions and Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests