The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Anything related to the Internet, computers and technology in general.

Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Postby Get Real! » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:47 pm

Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Some programmers may have received an email recently from Stack Overflow that reads…

“In recognition of your contributions to Stack Overflow, we’d like to invite you to create a professional profile on Stack Overflow Careers 2.0. A Careers 2.0 profile is a great place to showcase your professional work as a programmer – Stack Exchange answers, open source projects, even the books you’ve read.”

This is clearly a desperate attempt by Stack Overflow to reenergize their dying community as a result of a small group of programmers who were abusing a undemocratic points system to play God that drove hundreds of decent programmers if not thousands from around the world, away!

In other words, once they had attained enough programming kudos from their past posts and contributions they would automatically attain the power to delete other people’s contributions which they abused to control who could or could not get into the “elite”!

I was active in SO up to about a year ago while working on a couple of projects and only made about 25 replies to other people’s problems when suddenly one of these hotshots began to attack by blowing away my contributions and making the most absurd excuses in red!

So great was the power handed to the hotshots that you couldn’t even respond for an enquiry so the decision to abandon such a fascist environment wasn’t difficult to make!

Today Stack Overflow is asking us to return but have they fixed their problem? Have they announced that their demigod system has been abolished and replaced with the standard democratic forum management? No they have not!

So does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

The answer to that is an emphatic NO!

I for one won’t be going back to that shit again!

Regards, MP.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40426
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Postby Sotos » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:32 pm

I never posted anything there but it often comes up when I search Google for solutions. I don't know what their system is but I am not surprised they are deleting your posts. It is a technical forum and you need to know what you are talking about ... you can't just type nonsense like you do here and expect them to show any kind of respect to you ;) I think strict moderation is good in those kind of forums. Years ago I used to participate in some similar forums but I visited again recently and it is now full with clueless noobs! Better to have fewer members who know what they are talking about than a lot of people that are of no use.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10662
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Postby FragnaticDeath » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:14 pm

I guess you're both programmers?
User avatar
FragnaticDeath
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:21 pm
Location: Cyprus, United Kingdom Kent Canterbury

Re: Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Postby yialousa1971 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Sotos wrote:I never posted anything there but it often comes up when I search Google for solutions. I don't know what their system is but I am not surprised they are deleting your posts. It is a technical forum and you need to know what you are talking about ... you can't just type nonsense like you do here and expect them to show any kind of respect to you ;) I think strict moderation is good in those kind of forums. Years ago I used to participate in some similar forums but I visited again recently and it is now full with clueless noobs! Better to have fewer members who know what they are talking about than a lot of people that are of no use.


:mrgreen: :lol:
User avatar
yialousa1971
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5811
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: With my friends on the Cyprus forum

Re: Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Postby Get Real! » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Sotos wrote:I don't know what their system is but I am not surprised they are deleting your posts. It is a technical forum and you need to know what you are talking about ... you can't just type nonsense like you do here and expect them to show any kind of respect to you ;)

Apparently, I have since learned that they’ve only sent out a small number of invites from the thousands who had left the forum from all over the world, so it looks like I made the shortlist and I’m probably the only one in Cyprus so keep sucking that lemon Sotos… :wink:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40426
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Postby Get Real! » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:44 pm

FragnaticDeath wrote:I guess you're both programmers?

I’m a former 2nd and 3rd generation programmer who still dabbles in source code from time to time when I get bored and/or inspired by something, and I think Sotos drives a forklift at a fruit & veg department somewhere in Limassol.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40426
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Postby B25 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Get Real! wrote:Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Some programmers may have received an email recently from Stack Overflow that reads…

“In recognition of your contributions to Stack Overflow, we’d like to invite you to create a professional profile on Stack Overflow Careers 2.0. A Careers 2.0 profile is a great place to showcase your professional work as a programmer – Stack Exchange answers, open source projects, even the books you’ve read.”

This is clearly a desperate attempt by Stack Overflow to reenergize their dying community as a result of a small group of programmers who were abusing a undemocratic points system to play God that drove hundreds of decent programmers if not thousands from around the world, away!

In other words, once they had attained enough programming kudos from their past posts and contributions they would automatically attain the power to delete other people’s contributions which they abused to control who could or could not get into the “elite”!

I was active in SO up to about a year ago while working on a couple of projects and only made about 25 replies to other people’s problems when suddenly one of these hotshots began to attack by blowing away my contributions and making the most absurd excuses in red!

So great was the power handed to the hotshots that you couldn’t even respond for an enquiry so the decision to abandon such a fascist environment wasn’t difficult to make!

Today Stack Overflow is asking us to return but have they fixed their problem? Have they announced that their demigod system has been abolished and replaced with the standard democratic forum management? No they have not!

So does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

The answer to that is an emphatic NO!

I for one won’t be going back to that shit again!

Regards, MP.


Really GR, who gives a fuck. :lol:
User avatar
B25
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6072
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Location: ** Classified **

Re: Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Postby Get Real! » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Hey Sotos, when you finish sucking that lemon you’d better grab your self a grapefruit this time… :lol:

“We noticed you have not accepted our invitation to join Stack Overflow Careers. Only 3 days remain before it expires, and we’d love to have you. In case you missed the invitation, or never got it, here it is again:”
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40426
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Postby Get Real! » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:13 pm

B25 wrote:Really GR, who gives a fuck. :lol:

We can always devote 100% of our time to hellenism! You like?
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40426
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Does Stack Overflow deserve to be revitalized?

Postby Sotos » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:29 am

Get Real! wrote:Hey Sotos, when you finish sucking that lemon you’d better grab your self a grapefruit this time… :lol:

“We noticed you have not accepted our invitation to join Stack Overflow Careers. Only 3 days remain before it expires, and we’d love to have you. In case you missed the invitation, or never got it, here it is again:”


:lol: First time I see somebody get so excited over automated email! Was it at least personalized, e.g. "Dear [user-firstname], we noticed you have not accepted our invitation..."? That can make some internet noobs feel special ;)
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10662
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Next

Return to Internet, Computers and Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests