The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Sufis in Cyprus...

Ask any specific question related to Cyprus.

Re: Sufis in Cyprus...

Postby bill cobbett » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:46 pm

kimon07 wrote:
kurupetos wrote:I think Linus van Pelt was sort of a sufi. He carried a wool blanket and talked nonsense, no? :?


NO!!! because "sufism" had nothing to do with wool and nonsense. It was/is wisdom. Don't listen to bill. It was all about "sopfia"


In an English Language forum, there is only one definitive source of the language and that is the OED, which supports D's "wool" source, as well as an Arabic origin for the word.
User avatar
bill cobbett
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 15760
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 pm
Location: Embargoed from Kyrenia by Jurkish Army and Genocided (many times) by Thieving, Brain-Washed Lordo

Re: Sufis in Cyprus...

Postby Get Real! » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:59 pm

bill cobbett wrote:
kimon07 wrote:
kurupetos wrote:I think Linus van Pelt was sort of a sufi. He carried a wool blanket and talked nonsense, no? :?


NO!!! because "sufism" had nothing to do with wool and nonsense. It was/is wisdom. Don't listen to bill. It was all about "sopfia"


In an English Language forum, there is only one definitive source of the language and that is the OED, which supports D's "wool" source, as well as an Arabic origin for the word.

I demand that you declare it of Spartan origin and apologize to Kimon for upsetting him! :evil:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40485
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Sufis in Cyprus...

Postby bill cobbett » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Get Real! wrote:
bill cobbett wrote:
kimon07 wrote:
kurupetos wrote:I think Linus van Pelt was sort of a sufi. He carried a wool blanket and talked nonsense, no? :?


NO!!! because "sufism" had nothing to do with wool and nonsense. It was/is wisdom. Don't listen to bill. It was all about "sopfia"


In an English Language forum, there is only one definitive source of the language and that is the OED, which supports D's "wool" source, as well as an Arabic origin for the word.

I demand that you declare it of Spartan origin and apologize to Kimon for upsetting him! :evil:


ouch... leggo of me arm... it hurts.... no... never... ouch... oh alright then...

Sorry Kimon... for having burst another one of your bubbles.
User avatar
bill cobbett
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 15760
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 pm
Location: Embargoed from Kyrenia by Jurkish Army and Genocided (many times) by Thieving, Brain-Washed Lordo

Re: Sufis in Cyprus...

Postby Get Real! » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:04 pm

bill cobbett wrote:
Get Real! wrote:
bill cobbett wrote:
kimon07 wrote:
kurupetos wrote:I think Linus van Pelt was sort of a sufi. He carried a wool blanket and talked nonsense, no? :?


NO!!! because "sufism" had nothing to do with wool and nonsense. It was/is wisdom. Don't listen to bill. It was all about "sopfia"


In an English Language forum, there is only one definitive source of the language and that is the OED, which supports D's "wool" source, as well as an Arabic origin for the word.

I demand that you declare it of Spartan origin and apologize to Kimon for upsetting him! :evil:


ouch... leggo of me arm... it hurts.... no... never... ouch... oh alright then...

Sorry Kimon... for having burst another one of your bubbles.

:lol: I can almost picture him kicking and screaming!
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40485
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Sufis in Cyprus...

Postby kurupetos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:27 pm

kimon07 wrote:
kurupetos wrote:I think Linus van Pelt was sort of a sufi. He carried a wool blanket and talked nonsense, no? :?


NO!!! because "sufism" had nothing to do with wool and nonsense. It was/is wisdom. Don't listen to bill. It was all about "sopfia"

I disagree. I cannot see anything wise in Islam. :?
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17936
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Sufis in Cyprus...

Postby denizaksulu » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 pm

KP, what would you say had someone said to you,"you should thank Islamic scholars for saving and resurrecting the lost Hellenic heritage for future generations"? :D
User avatar
denizaksulu
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 36050
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 11:04 am

Re: Sufis in Cyprus...

Postby Get Real! » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:15 pm

kurupetos wrote:I disagree. I cannot see anything wise in Islam. :?

As if you’ve read the Quran and have made an informed decision! :roll:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40485
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Sufis in Cyprus...

Postby kurupetos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Get Real! wrote:
kurupetos wrote:I disagree. I cannot see anything wise in Islam. :?

As if you’ve read the Quran and have made an informed decision! :roll:

That's exactly what I did! :wink:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17936
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Sufis in Cyprus...

Postby kurupetos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:42 pm

denizaksulu wrote:KP, what would you say had someone said to you,"you should thank Islamic scholars for saving and resurrecting the lost Hellenic heritage for future generations"? :D

I would say that this is a lie. The Arabs burned 40,000 books when they conquered Alexandria. :roll:

The Moslems invaded Egypt during the seventh century as their fanaticism carried them on conquests that would take form an empire stretching from Spain to India. There was not much of a struggle in Egypt and the locals found the rule of the Caliph to be more tolerant than that of the Byzantines before them. However, when a Christian called John informed the local Arab general that there existed in Alexandria a great Library preserving all the knowledge in the world he was perturbed. Eventually he sent word to Mecca where Caliph Omar ordered that all the books in the library should be destroyed because, as he said "they will either contradict the Koran, in which case they are heresy, or they will agree with it, so they are superfluous." Therefore, the books and scrolls were taken out of the library and distributed as fuel to the many bathhouses of the city. So enormous was the volume of literature that it took six months for it all to be burnt to ashes heating the saunas of the conquerors.
Last edited by kurupetos on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17936
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Sufis in Cyprus...

Postby Get Real! » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:56 pm

kurupetos wrote:
denizaksulu wrote:KP, what would you say had someone said to you,"you should thank Islamic scholars for saving and resurrecting the lost Hellenic heritage for future generations"? :D

I would say that this is a lie. The Arabs burned 40,000 books when they conquered Alexandria. :roll:

Maybe they were Greek books... :?
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40485
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Questions and Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest