The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Your banks are toast

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Your banks are toast

Postby Tim Drayton » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Viewpoint wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:The queue entering a bank as they opened at 12 noon today as captured in a photograph published in the Turkish Cypriot press:

http://www.yeniduzen.com/Haberler/guney ... cildi/2020

Image


These people could be going into the WC for all we know. :lol:


You do not trust the Turkish Cypriot press to tell the truth, then? Again, this is your prerogative, and I respect that.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Your banks are toast

Postby Jerry » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:57 pm

The orderly queues were first item on BBC TV news at 1.00pm, no pushing or shoving. A bank employee handed out information sheets about new regulations to people in the line, 5 or 6 went in at a time, only one guard/policeman at the door. Certainly no sign of a run on the bank, impossible in fact if you can't withraw more than 300 euros each day.
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Your banks are toast

Postby Tim Drayton » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Jerry wrote:The orderly queues were first item on BBC TV news at 1.00pm, no pushing or shoving. A bank employee handed out information sheets about new regulations to people in the line, 5 or 6 went in at a time, only one guard/policeman at the door. Certainly no sign of a run on the bank, impossible in fact if you can't withraw more than 300 euros each day.


Happy to hear that. My respect for the BBC has taken a bit of dent with some of the over-the-top reports they have broadcast.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Your banks are toast

Postby Tim Drayton » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:15 pm

From an American financial news bulletin:

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/bank ... ml/?ref=YF

“We expected much more people,” said Argyros Eraclides, manager of a Bank of Cyprus branch in Nicosia, told the publication. “Fortunately there are only some people who needed cash for the day, but customers reacted fantastically. We expected some people to be more aggravated.”
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Your banks are toast

Postby supporttheunderdog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Only queue I saw was about a dozen outside the Laiki at Linopetra. all very orderly.

Some of the reports mentioned that there were more Journo's outside lokking for a story than there were queueing customers....
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8158
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Your banks are toast

Postby Cap » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 pm

Says it all really..

Image
User avatar
Cap
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6790
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Cypriot Empire

Re: Your banks are toast

Postby Get Real! » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Cap wrote:Says it all really..

Image

Because people want blood and gore these days… I say sacrifice a goat outside an ATM and push its testicles in the slot! 8)
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40382
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Your banks are toast

Postby Kikapu » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Viewpoint wrote:Of course as you have done to us in the past when we gave you first hand accounts we dont believe a word of what you say, most banks experienced a tension and verbal abuse how could you not when you lose 40%-60% of your money...reminds me of when the GCs used to try and ridicule us about the banks collapsing in the TRNC...karma is a bitch.


You don't know what you are talking about. You are just upset because people are not rioting in the RoC in front of the banks. The reason why that is not happening, is because majority of Cypriots, Turkish or Greek do not have anywhere 100,000 Euros in their bank accounts just sitting there. If they had money, they would most probably either buy a property or a piece of land or put it into their small businesses. The majority who took it in the shorts with the levy were the foreigners, not that that makes it ok, because it doesn't.

By the way, how much GC money fled to the banks in the north today as it was expected in the north?
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13540
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Your banks are toast

Postby repulsewarrior » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:15 am

Cap wrote:Says it all really..

Image


...feeds, the it can't happen to me syndrome.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7592
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Your banks are toast

Postby Viewpoint » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:37 am

Who was trying to burn the Turkish flag while waiting in the queue?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21950913

Theres a man here who threatens to close the banking system again he says he has the power.
User avatar
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25211
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Nicosia/Lefkosa

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests