The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


BBC exposed as a false and misleading media circus in Cyprus

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Re: BBC exposed as a false and misleading media circus in Cy

Postby Get Real! » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:21 pm

Viewpoint wrote:Especially when its reporting anything negative about the GCs eh Maxi, if it was about Turkey then they would be the most accurate source of news on the planet :wink:

:lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40428
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: BBC exposed as a false and misleading media circus in Cy

Postby Cap » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Even the North's coverage was more accurate.
User avatar
Cap
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Cypriot Empire

Re: BBC exposed as a false and misleading media circus in Cy

Postby Get Real! » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Cap wrote:Even the North's coverage was more accurate.


You mean when they were saying... "They deserve everything they get!" :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40428
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: BBC exposed as a false and misleading media circus in Cy

Postby Kikapu » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:45 pm

bill cobbett wrote:One of the most poorly researched and suspect cases of reporting by the BBC was at ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21974466

Which contained the following sentences on the hope of the Illegal Regime to cash in on the problem and which gave a platform to Ersin Tatar, without a reference to his time as the Finance Director of the firm Polly Peck at a time when Asil Nadir was defrauding the firm and GB investors to the tune of 00s of millions of GBP...

...At the office of Ersin Tatar, the finance minister of the breakaway Turkish Cypriot state, they talk up a banking system that has certainly had its problems in the past but looks like a safer bet at the moment.

"Anyone who wants to open a bank account can come here, as long as they abide by international rules and regulations," Mr Tatar says.

He is particularly keen to attract some of the tens of thousands of British citizens who have money in banks in the Republic of Cyprus.

"We don't want any dirty money," he asserts, "but we have a good banking system supported by Turkey, and we have a good life..."


... and you go and tell that to the '000s of CarpetShaggers who have, quite deservedly, been shafted in the Occupied Areas.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

But Haram money is OK, gained from sale of stolen GC properties. :roll:
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13541
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: BBC exposed as a false and misleading media circus in Cy

Postby Cap » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:02 pm

To put it into perspective, my neighbors who are English were suddenly bombarded by phone calls and text messages from concerned friends and relatives in England offering money and food parcels who were misled by the British media.
Perplexed and confused they responded by confirming they were ok.
They told me they were more worried after that than during the whole fiasco.
User avatar
Cap
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Cypriot Empire

Re: BBC exposed as a false and misleading media circus in Cy

Postby apc2010 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:35 am

Cap wrote:To put it into perspective, my neighbors who are English were suddenly bombarded by phone calls and text messages from concerned friends and relatives in England offering money and food parcels who were misled by the British media.
Perplexed and confused they responded by confirming they were ok.
They told me they were more worried after that than during the whole fiasco.


We had the same calls offering to pay for tickets to the UK ................and somewhere to stay........
User avatar
apc2010
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2522
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: BBC exposed as a false and misleading media circus in Cy

Postby Tim Drayton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:56 am

Tim Drayton wrote:I agree. There is a BBC World Service programme called "World Have Your Say", which is open for listeners to contribute to. One such programme during the first week of the bank closure was devoted to life in Cyprus with the banks shut. I sent in an e-mail saying, that as far as I could see, life was continuing pretty much as normal, although noting that obviously if the banks eventually failed things would get worse. Of course that e-mail was not read out, nor any others on a positive note, only messages that suited the sensationalist agenda that the BBC seemed intent to promote.
Early on in the programme, we were told that business had almost come to a standstill as nobody had any money to spend. Later, one of the guests said that some people were stocking up on basic goods. The programme moderator jumped on this, wanting to know if the supermarkets were full of people desperately grabbing everything in sight and whether they had emptied the shelves etc. What a contradiction! One minute business has come to a standstill, ten minutes later everybody is out on a panic buying spree. Only one of these can be true!


As of Sunday, they have stopped broadcasting the BBC World Service on the medium wave frequency that you could pick it up on here in Cyprus. Was it something I said?
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: BBC exposed as a false and misleading media circus in Cy

Postby CBBB » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:17 am

Tim Drayton wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:I agree. There is a BBC World Service programme called "World Have Your Say", which is open for listeners to contribute to. One such programme during the first week of the bank closure was devoted to life in Cyprus with the banks shut. I sent in an e-mail saying, that as far as I could see, life was continuing pretty much as normal, although noting that obviously if the banks eventually failed things would get worse. Of course that e-mail was not read out, nor any others on a positive note, only messages that suited the sensationalist agenda that the BBC seemed intent to promote.
Early on in the programme, we were told that business had almost come to a standstill as nobody had any money to spend. Later, one of the guests said that some people were stocking up on basic goods. The programme moderator jumped on this, wanting to know if the supermarkets were full of people desperately grabbing everything in sight and whether they had emptied the shelves etc. What a contradiction! One minute business has come to a standstill, ten minutes later everybody is out on a panic buying spree. Only one of these can be true!


As of Sunday, they have stopped broadcasting the BBC World Service on the medium wave frequency that you could pick it up on here in Cyprus. Was it something I said?


No, something the British Chancellor of the Exchequer said, "No more dosh for the World Service!".
User avatar
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11434
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: BBC exposed as a false and misleading media circus in Cy

Postby Tim Drayton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:33 am

CBBB wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:I agree. There is a BBC World Service programme called "World Have Your Say", which is open for listeners to contribute to. One such programme during the first week of the bank closure was devoted to life in Cyprus with the banks shut. I sent in an e-mail saying, that as far as I could see, life was continuing pretty much as normal, although noting that obviously if the banks eventually failed things would get worse. Of course that e-mail was not read out, nor any others on a positive note, only messages that suited the sensationalist agenda that the BBC seemed intent to promote.
Early on in the programme, we were told that business had almost come to a standstill as nobody had any money to spend. Later, one of the guests said that some people were stocking up on basic goods. The programme moderator jumped on this, wanting to know if the supermarkets were full of people desperately grabbing everything in sight and whether they had emptied the shelves etc. What a contradiction! One minute business has come to a standstill, ten minutes later everybody is out on a panic buying spree. Only one of these can be true!


As of Sunday, they have stopped broadcasting the BBC World Service on the medium wave frequency that you could pick it up on here in Cyprus. Was it something I said?


No, something the British Chancellor of the Exchequer said, "No more dosh for the World Service!".


That might have something to do with as well.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Previous

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests