The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Austerity and the health of a nation

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Re: Austerity and the health of a nation

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:53 pm

If you really want to believe every country compiles its data in the same way and every country's laws define murder/homicide in the same way, then it just shows us the limits of your understanding.

Perhaps in that case you can mess about with this one:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... unodc#data
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Austerity and the health of a nation

Postby cyprusgrump » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:02 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:If you really want to believe every country compiles its data in the same way and every country's laws define murder/homicide in the same way, then it just shows us the limits of your understanding.

Perhaps in that case you can mess about with this one:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... unodc#data


Not at all... but then I didn't claim that did I...? :roll:

That is just one of your Straw Man arguments that you use so frequently...
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6594
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: Austerity and the health of a nation

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:11 pm

How can you accuse me of a straw man argument when it was you who quoted me with your fallacious response?

Here's another one for you, since you didn't like the previous one and turned personal:

http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=UNODC&f=tableCode%3A1

UK 1.6; Greece 1.2.

But as I said, homicide is defined differently in different countries, so try and stick to the topic of changing trends due to austerity!
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Austerity and the health of a nation

Postby cyprusgrump » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:17 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:How can you accuse me of a straw man argument when it was you who quoted me with your fallacious response?

Here's another one for you, since you didn't like the previous one and turned personal:

http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=UNODC&f=tableCode%3A1

UK 1.6; Greece 1.2.

But as I said, homicide is defined differently in different countries, so try and stick to the topic of changing trends due to austerity!


Because I didn't claim what you said I claimed is why! :lol:

You are oh so funny!

GreekIslandGirl wrote:"The reliability of underlying national murder rate data may vary.[1] The legal definition of "intentional homicide" differs among countries."


Yet now you scrape around trying to find figures which show Greece is 'better' than the UK!

Where is that 'clutching at straws' emoticon when you need it...?
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6594
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: Austerity and the health of a nation

Postby Paphitis » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Actual Eurostat figures can be found here:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statis ... statistics

Unfortunately, suicide rates, and the burden on the Health System which is now funded inadequately is on a sharp rise since the introduction of austerity.

Migration is also dramatically increased.

The advantage Cyprus has is that it will bounce back quicker than Greece will. Cyprus just has 2-5 years of pain so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Greece on the other hand, is in dire trouble with a lot less prospects and the outlook is more dim.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Austerity and the health of a nation

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:44 pm

cyprusgrump wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:How can you accuse me of a straw man argument when it was you who quoted me with your fallacious response?

Here's another one for you, since you didn't like the previous one and turned personal:

http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=UNODC&f=tableCode%3A1

UK 1.6; Greece 1.2.

But as I said, homicide is defined differently in different countries, so try and stick to the topic of changing trends due to austerity!


Because I didn't claim what you said I claimed is why! :lol:

You are oh so funny!

GreekIslandGirl wrote:"The reliability of underlying national murder rate data may vary.[1] The legal definition of "intentional homicide" differs among countries."


Yet now you scrape around trying to find figures which show Greece is 'better' than the UK!

Where is that 'clutching at straws' emoticon when you need it...?


Why don't you do us all a favour and go somewhere where communication is only possible via your favoured emoticons, and where you will then not be out of your depth in discussions.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Austerity and the health of a nation

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Taking advantage of the peace whilst he is busy searching for the "incredulous" emoticon with which to communicate:

Interesting corroboration of alarm from (of all sources) Spiegel:

"Austerity measures haven't solved the economic problems and they have also created big health problems," Martin McKee, a professor of European Public Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who led the research, told news agency AP.

It will take years to understand the health consequences of the euro crisis and the policies it has prompted, but some effects are already clear, the study said. Not only has there been an increase of mental disorders in Greece and Spain, but the number of suicides for those younger than 65 has increased in the EU since 2007 -- "reversing a steady decrease."


http://www.spiegel.de/international/eur ... 91308.html

And in the UK, not since the height of Thatcher's rule have suicide rates, for some, been so high.

The male suicide rate in 2011 was the highest since 2002, and among 45-59-year-old men the highest since 1986, according to the Office for National Statistics


http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/ ... icide-rate


And for those who only believe the Daily Mail:


And even in more affluent London and the Home Counties, large swathes of the region have seen suicide verdicts soar by more than 50 per cent.



http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -toll.html
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Austerity and the health of a nation

Postby cyprusgrump » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:00 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
cyprusgrump wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:How can you accuse me of a straw man argument when it was you who quoted me with your fallacious response?

Here's another one for you, since you didn't like the previous one and turned personal:

http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=UNODC&f=tableCode%3A1

UK 1.6; Greece 1.2.

But as I said, homicide is defined differently in different countries, so try and stick to the topic of changing trends due to austerity!


Because I didn't claim what you said I claimed is why! :lol:

You are oh so funny!

GreekIslandGirl wrote:"The reliability of underlying national murder rate data may vary.[1] The legal definition of "intentional homicide" differs among countries."


Yet now you scrape around trying to find figures which show Greece is 'better' than the UK!

Where is that 'clutching at straws' emoticon when you need it...?


Why don't you do us all a favour and go somewhere where communication is only possible via your favoured emoticons, and where you will then not be out of your depth in discussions.


I'm sorry.... when did you get to speak for everybody on the board...? :shock:

I must have missed that announcement... :roll:

Or perhaps you don't.... :wink:
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6594
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: Austerity and the health of a nation

Postby bill cobbett » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:51 pm

More emoticons please Grump... they're really good.
User avatar
bill cobbett
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 15760
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 pm
Location: Embargoed from Kyrenia by Jurkish Army and Genocided (many times) by Thieving, Brain-Washed Lordo

Previous

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests