The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Kikapu » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Viewpoint wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Viewpoint wrote:You will never get it, unfortunately when it comes to Turkey your thinking is flawed dont worry all GCs are raised that way, Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months.


By just stating that Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months doesn't help anyone get it. Never mind the GC's you have singled out.

Please tell us why Turkey is happy to have gained 4 months and what they going to do in these 4 months to avert a crisis with the EU in October?


Man havent they said enough? Merkel has them where exactly? if you really do not have any intention whatsoever to join who do you think is one up? thats why its smiles all round on the Turkish officials faces, all they have to do is keep the EU door open, after 4 mnoths it will be extended yet again...this is the EU we are talking about I dont call it the "toothless tiger" for nothing.


Sultan Ayip Erdogan is not always going to be ruling Turkey. Soon you will have people demonstrating to join the EU because they want to have their democratic freedoms. But as soon as Turkey breaks up, everyone will get what they want.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13541
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Viewpoint » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Maximus wrote:
Viewpoint wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Viewpoint wrote:You will never get it, unfortunately when it comes to Turkey your thinking is flawed dont worry all GCs are raised that way, Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months.


By just stating that Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months doesn't help anyone get it. Never mind the GC's you have singled out.

Please tell us why Turkey is happy to have gained 4 months and what they going to do in these 4 months to avert a crisis with the EU in October?


Man havent they said enough? Merkel has them where exactly? if you really do not have any intention whatsoever to join who do you think is one up? thats why its smiles all round on the Turkish officials faces, all they have to do is keep the EU door open, after 4 mnoths it will be extended yet again...this is the EU we are talking about I dont call it the "toothless tiger" for nothing.


Ok, so your saying that they are happy to have gained 4 months because come October, they will gain even more time so they can continue to pretend that they want to join the EU?

Do I get it now?


Exactly, I know its difficult for you but try and think outside of the box you have been put in by your upbringing and education.
User avatar
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25211
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Nicosia/Lefkosa

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Demonax » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Maximus wrote:
Ok, so your saying that they are happy to have gained 4 months because come October, they will gain even more time so they can continue to pretend that they want to join the EU?

Do I get it now?


Turkey’s EU accession is virtually frozen. No-one is pretending that Turkey will ever join the EU on the current basis and with the current leadership in Turkey. The EU have more or less given up on Erdogan. In the next four months Erdogan will not use the time to reform but to crack down on opposition, the media and all who disagree with him.

This final drift to autocracy will make it impossible for the EU to open further chapters. So the EU will keep adding conditions to further chapters, such as the Ankara Protocol, Varosha etc.

This way they will put the onus back on Turkey to move its EU accession, without formally closing down its EU accession altogether.
User avatar
Demonax
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 am

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Viewpoint » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:15 pm

Demonax wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Ok, so your saying that they are happy to have gained 4 months because come October, they will gain even more time so they can continue to pretend that they want to join the EU?

Do I get it now?


Turkey’s EU accession is virtually frozen. No-one is pretending that Turkey will ever join the EU on the current basis and with the current leadership in Turkey. The EU have more or less given up on Erdogan. In the next four months Erdogan will not use the time to reform but to crack down on opposition, the media and all who disagree with him.

This final drift to autocracy will make it impossible for the EU to open further chapters. So the EU will keep adding conditions to further chapters, such as the Ankara Protocol, Varosha etc.

This way they will put the onus back on Turkey to move its EU accession, without formally closing down its EU accession altogether.


Exactly playing into Turkeys hands and declaring GC leverage null and void.
User avatar
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25211
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Nicosia/Lefkosa

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby MR-from-NG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Turkey and EU should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. Even though I'm no great fan of the EU Turkey as it is now and the path it's taken should never be allowed into the EU.

Turkey has always been around 50 years behind from the rest of the developed countries, the lunatic Recep T Erdogan will take Turkey back to the stone ages by the time he is finished. All I can say is if the public are stupid enough to elect such an idiot to lead then they deserve no better. BASLARINA GELENI CEKSIN ELIN KOYUN SURUSU.
MR-from-NG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Maximus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:00 pm

Viewpoint wrote:
Demonax wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Ok, so your saying that they are happy to have gained 4 months because come October, they will gain even more time so they can continue to pretend that they want to join the EU?

Do I get it now?


Turkey’s EU accession is virtually frozen. No-one is pretending that Turkey will ever join the EU on the current basis and with the current leadership in Turkey. The EU have more or less given up on Erdogan. In the next four months Erdogan will not use the time to reform but to crack down on opposition, the media and all who disagree with him.

This final drift to autocracy will make it impossible for the EU to open further chapters. So the EU will keep adding conditions to further chapters, such as the Ankara Protocol, Varosha etc.

This way they will put the onus back on Turkey to move its EU accession, without formally closing down its EU accession altogether.


Exactly playing into Turkeys hands and declaring GC leverage null and void.


Its just a stupid game VP because the EU has virtually shut down Turkeys' EU accession process. So, in essence, Turkey has all the time in the world to pretend to herself that she wants to join the EU because if she does not comply, she still isn't going anywhere.

The GC's leverage will always be there for as long as Turkey wants to pretend. Will it not?
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Get Real! » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:02 pm

MR-from-NG wrote:Turkey and EU should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. Even though I'm no great fan of the EU Turkey as it is now and the path it's taken should never be allowed into the EU.

Turkey has always been around 50 years behind from the rest of the developed countries, the lunatic Recep T Erdogan will take Turkey back to the stone ages by the time he is finished. All I can say is if the public are stupid enough to elect such an idiot to lead then they deserve no better. BASLARINA GELENI CEKSIN ELIN KOYUN SURUSU.

I pretty much agree with that except for the Turkish part I don’t get, but I also want to add that incessant posting about Turkey’s shortcomings by some, is getting tiresome.

There’s no point in us repeating the same things over and over when it’s pretty clear that…

1. It’s a Muslim country and thus incompatible with democracy. Well duh!

2. Their current government has a well known appalling foreign policy and it’s not likely to change until elections next year inshallah!

3. There are too many hurdles for Turkey to overcome making EU entry difficult if not impossible. Not that they’re missing out on much.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40444
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby B25 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:07 pm

The Customs Union with Turkey should be stopped, then we will see how eager Turkey will be to join this shitty EU club.

What's the point of Turkey wanting in, when she can get all the benefits and not be controlled by the EU?

Time to get Tough With Turkey.
User avatar
B25
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6078
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Location: ** Classified **

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Maximus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:08 pm

Get Real! wrote:
MR-from-NG wrote:Turkey and EU should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. Even though I'm no great fan of the EU Turkey as it is now and the path it's taken should never be allowed into the EU.

Turkey has always been around 50 years behind from the rest of the developed countries, the lunatic Recep T Erdogan will take Turkey back to the stone ages by the time he is finished. All I can say is if the public are stupid enough to elect such an idiot to lead then they deserve no better. BASLARINA GELENI CEKSIN ELIN KOYUN SURUSU.

I pretty much agree with that except for the Turkish part I don’t get, but I also want to add that incessant posting about Turkey’s shortcomings by some, is getting tiresome.

There’s no point in us repeating the same things over and over when it’s pretty clear that…

1. It’s a Muslim country and thus incompatible with democracy. Well duh!

2. Their current government has a well known appalling foreign policy and it’s not likely to change until elections next year inshallah!

3. There are too many hurdles for Turkey to overcome making EU entry difficult if not impossible. Not that they’re missing out on much.


I agree with you both.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby MR-from-NG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Get Real! wrote:
MR-from-NG wrote:Turkey and EU should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. Even though I'm no great fan of the EU Turkey as it is now and the path it's taken should never be allowed into the EU.

Turkey has always been around 50 years behind from the rest of the developed countries, the lunatic Recep T Erdogan will take Turkey back to the stone ages by the time he is finished. All I can say is if the public are stupid enough to elect such an idiot to lead then they deserve no better. BASLARINA GELENI CEKSIN ELIN KOYUN SURUSU.

I pretty much agree with that except for the Turkish part I don’t get, but I also want to add that incessant posting about Turkey’s shortcomings by some, is getting tiresome.

There’s no point in us repeating the same things over and over when it’s pretty clear that…

1. It’s a Muslim country and thus incompatible with democracy. Well duh!

2. Their current government has a well known appalling foreign policy and it’s not likely to change until elections next year inshallah!

3. There are too many hurdles for Turkey to overcome making EU entry difficult if not impossible. Not that they’re missing out on much.

Very eloquently put my dear friend. The Turkish bit is a Turkish saying which roughly translates to "suffer as deserve you lousy herd of sheep"
MR-from-NG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests