The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Demonax » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Paphitis wrote:Erdogan is a megalomaniac. It was obvious he will never cave in.

He even tried to exert his authority over Syria and Israel. Soon, it will catch up with him one way or another.

Right now, it is the people! Tomorrow, it could be a Military Coup backed by America and Israel. Who knows?

I am sure he is not sleeping well at night.


I think the knives are out for Erdogan. The Americans have been quite critical and would no doubt encourage his removal, probably in favour of a 'moderate' like Gul. He's already lost the backing of the Gulen-backed Zaman newspaper and foreign investors are starting to pull their money out.

Erdogan overplayed his hand in Syria and the country is filling with Syrian refugees. The recent bombings which killed many Turks are also suspected to have some kind of Turkish Intelligence involvement as well. Things have changed very quickly. Only last week the foreign press was filled with eulogies for Turkey's 'economic miracle'. Ten days later it looks like Erdogan is facing a struggle to survive.
User avatar
Demonax
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 am

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:50 pm

The only thing that would save Erdogan now, make him the most popular man in Europe and be heaped with tonnes of praise and blessings is if he ...... pulled the 40,000 Turkish troops out of Cyprus and negotiated re-homing the Settlers back to Turkey. :D

Go on - do it!

Save yourself, Erdogan. :)
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8948
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby kurupetos » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Demonax wrote:I think the knives are out for Erdogan. The Americans have been quite critical and would no doubt encourage his removal, probably in favour of a 'moderate' like Gul. He's already lost the backing of the Gulen-backed Zaman newspaper and foreign investors are starting to pull their money out.

Erdogan overplayed his hand in Syria and the country is filling with Syrian refugees. The recent bombings which killed many Turks are also suspected to have some kind of Turkish Intelligence involvement as well. Things have changed very quickly. Only last week the foreign press was filled with eulogies for Turkey's 'economic miracle'. Ten days later it looks like Erdogan is facing a struggle to survive.

The 'economic miracle' is BS. Turkey is about to go bankrupt...

Turkey’s fast growing economy has been the toast of the financial world, there was a recent vote of confidence with a credit rating upgrade from the agency Moody’s as shares rose.

But even before the protests, questions were being asked about how Ankara would repay its borrowings – at six percent of GDP – and the currency – the lira – was weakening.

The street violence triggered a stock market free-fall and the lira plunged. Economists say if the currency stays weak it will mean higher inflation and interest rates.

The stellar growth of recent years was already flagging. From 9.2 percent in 2010 to 8.5 percent in 2011, then just 2.6 percent last year. The International Monetary Fund predicts 3.4 percent this year.

The economic good times have fuelled a building boom. The government has been accused of being overly construction friendly. Indeed the spark for the protests was a shopping centre project on what is reported to be the only remaining green space in central Istanbul.

Foreign investors have kept pumping money into Turkey because the government has delivered stability and growth.

One analyst said that was no guarantee that the cash would keep flowing. “What we are seeing does not amount to a Turkish Spring,” said Zsolt Papp at Swiss investor UBP.

“But if a market has had a very good run and investors feel its economy is running out of steam, political instability provides the perfect excuse to sell,” added Papp.


http://www.euronews.com/2013/06/04/turkey-protests-a-trigger-for-economic-downturn/
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17896
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Lordo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:53 pm

considering greece has 155% and the rest of the southern europe states similar, why are you worried about 6%.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Demonax » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:11 pm

kurupetos wrote:The 'economic miracle' is BS. Turkey is about to go bankrupt...


Yes, I posted elsewhere that the New York Times has a similar story on why things could get very shaky for Turkey:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/06/world ... d=tw-share
User avatar
Demonax
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 am

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Maximus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:12 pm

You can count on Erdogan! It can only go to "zero".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby kurupetos » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:24 am

Lordo wrote:considering greece has 155% and the rest of the southern europe states similar, why are you worried about 6%.

Turkey's GDP per capita will always remain well below Greece and Cyprus. :wink:

There's also the Human Development Index (HDI): Turkey ranks 90th, whereas Greece and Cyprus rank 29th and 31st, respectively. 8)

With fools like you, I wouldn't expect Turkey to improve any time soon. :mrgreen:

http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr2013/

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17896
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Gülen has spoken

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:39 am

Tim Drayton wrote:The ‘Abant Platform’, known to be a mouthpiece for the Gülen organisation has issued a statement strongly condemning the AKP government’s handling of recent events, and calling for pluralism in Turkey to be respected and for there to be no interference in individuals’ lifestyles.

It includes the following:

Türkiye’nin gerçek zenginliği, farklılıklara saygıya dayanan çoğulculuğudur. Her birey kendi tercihleri ve inançlarıyla saygıya layıktır.

Turkey’s true richness is its pluralism based on respect for differences. Every individual deserves respect for their own preferences and beliefs.


That is the end of the matter, if you ask me. Turkey’s real ruler from behind the scenes is calling on the government to back off and re-engage with the sections of society that it has alienated. This is what will happen.
http://www.cumhuriyet.com.tr/?hn=421082&kn=7&ka=4&kb=7


Gülen himself has come out with a more hardline statement in which he berates the way that 'stray generations' have been raised and he compares the protests to an infestation by ants, saying that you cannot dismiss this by saying 'they are just ants' because ants can get in everywhere and cause a lot of harm.

http://www.cumhuriyet.com.tr/?hn=421282&kn=7&ka=4&kb=7
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby boomerang » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:00 pm

kurupetos wrote:
Demonax wrote:I think the knives are out for Erdogan. The Americans have been quite critical and would no doubt encourage his removal, probably in favour of a 'moderate' like Gul. He's already lost the backing of the Gulen-backed Zaman newspaper and foreign investors are starting to pull their money out.

Erdogan overplayed his hand in Syria and the country is filling with Syrian refugees. The recent bombings which killed many Turks are also suspected to have some kind of Turkish Intelligence involvement as well. Things have changed very quickly. Only last week the foreign press was filled with eulogies for Turkey's 'economic miracle'. Ten days later it looks like Erdogan is facing a struggle to survive.

The 'economic miracle' is BS. Turkey is about to go bankrupt...

Turkey’s fast growing economy has been the toast of the financial world, there was a recent vote of confidence with a credit rating upgrade from the agency Moody’s as shares rose.

But even before the protests, questions were being asked about how Ankara would repay its borrowings – at six percent of GDP – and the currency – the lira – was weakening.

The street violence triggered a stock market free-fall and the lira plunged. Economists say if the currency stays weak it will mean higher inflation and interest rates.

The stellar growth of recent years was already flagging. From 9.2 percent in 2010 to 8.5 percent in 2011, then just 2.6 percent last year. The International Monetary Fund predicts 3.4 percent this year.

The economic good times have fuelled a building boom. The government has been accused of being overly construction friendly. Indeed the spark for the protests was a shopping centre project on what is reported to be the only remaining green space in central Istanbul.

Foreign investors have kept pumping money into Turkey because the government has delivered stability and growth.

One analyst said that was no guarantee that the cash would keep flowing. “What we are seeing does not amount to a Turkish Spring,” said Zsolt Papp at Swiss investor UBP.

“But if a market has had a very good run and investors feel its economy is running out of steam, political instability provides the perfect excuse to sell,” added Papp.


http://www.euronews.com/2013/06/04/turkey-protests-a-trigger-for-economic-downturn/


In shenzen talking to a turkish national he condemn the riots for being greenies and talking to another turk in quangzhou he was livid against erdogan for supporting the rebels in syria...he said the erdogan government was giving the syrians turkish citizenship...he was quite vocal...I told him I was yunan and he said the tcs are taking the turks for a ride...his words were turkey has no business in cyprus...he was pro EU...

The turks are divided...they are pro and against...
User avatar
boomerang
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:56 am

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Demonax » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Fule just never learns:

@StefanFuleEU
Disappointed by the lost opportunity at the #Istanbul conference to reach out to those calling for respect & inclusive dialogue; #gezipark


Andrew Duff MEP ‏@Andrew_Duff_MEP
@StefanFuleEU One begins to wonder about #Turkey. Truly. #euwhatevernext #geziparki
User avatar
Demonax
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests