The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Re: Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Postby stpier » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:45 am

Paphitis wrote:He is quite right not to reply.

How can anyone reply to your stupid claims and assertions when you don't even know what you're talking about?


:lol:
User avatar
stpier
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:52 am

stpier wrote:
Paphitis wrote:He is quite right not to reply.

How can anyone reply to your stupid claims and assertions when you don't even know what you're talking about?


:lol:


Don't forget that Cyprus Airways can make extensive claims for compensation against Turkey in the ICJ:

THE GOVERNMENT has stepped in to provide much-needed liquidity to the tune of €5.6m to ailing national airline Cyprus Airways (CY), it transpired yesterday.

According to yesterday’s Politis, cabinet approved a proposal on Wednesday to provide the national carrier with the €5.6m in disbursements throughout the year, representing the sum that CY is expected to lose in 2013 from extra fuel costs as a result of the ban on Cypriot traffic over Turkish airspace.

The previous government first got EU approval in 2011 to provide the national carrier with compensation for the Turkish airspace ban, which violates the customs protocol signed between Turkey and the EU, and most likely the rules on fair competition.

As a result, the EU approved a formula to calculate how much extra fuel was needed by CY planes to circumvent Turkish airspace. It is not deemed to violate the EU’s state aid rules.

The first time the formula was used, the government came up with a €20m sum in compensation for the years between 2004, when Cyprus joined the EU, and 2010.

According to a source, the figure was not at all arbitrary but calculated in agreement with the EU, depending on the number of flights that would normally go over Turkey, and the extra fuel needed to circumvent Turkish airspace. The ban particularly affects flights to and from Russia from Cyprus.

The source said the formula was clearly a calculation based purely on fuel usage, and did not take into account commercial aspects like loss of customers due to the unfair competition, or extra maintenance costs as a result of greater usage of the fleet.

Following the lump sum given for the 2004-2010 period, around €5m-€6m was given out in compensation for the ban each following year.

However, instead of giving compensation for 2013 next year, after calculating the full cost of the ban on the airline, the company asked that cabinet give the money in advance.

Cabinet agreed to do so, and will distribute €5.6m in parts throughout the year, suggesting the company may be facing liquidity problems.

http://cyprus-mail.com/2013/07/12/cy-to ... rkish-ban/


So I wouldn't gloat if I were you because Turkey is well and truly exposed to fair trading litigation.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Postby stpier » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:06 pm

I am not worried about it at all. Everyone in EU knows both your country and your airlines are bankrupt as a result of your close affiliation to your motherland which is another bankrupt country. :D Stop blaming others for your failure and be an independent country, not a satellite of a bad example!
User avatar
stpier
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:15 pm

stpier wrote:I am not worried about it at all. Everyone in EU knows both your country and your airlines are bankrupt as a result of your close affiliation to your motherland which is another bankrupt country. :D


Obviously you do not know what you're talking about!

Cyprus Airways is not doing well, because it is not run efficiently by the Government and due to stiff competition from budget airlines as well as the illegal restrictions that apply to their aircraft by Turkey.

Cyprus Airways has never had any "affiliations" with Greek Airlines such as Olympic. In fact, both were fiercely competing against each other on the Larnaca-Athens-Larnaca and Larnaca-Thesaloniki-Larnaca routes.

But hey ho, whatever you say! it is just easier to agree with everything you have to say. What would I know? I am certainly not going to get involved in your silly argument with Oracle about absolute stupid nonsense!

One more thing, Cyprus Airways will continue as a reformed enterprise and in all likelihood, a big investor will enter into the fold which I believe will be Lufthansa/Aegean.

It certainly would make sense. Both have an all A319/A320 Fleet, can codeshare and set up joint Maintenance hubs in Athens, Larnaca, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Munich. The Cost savings over a big fleet of 40+ Buses will be enormous!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Postby stpier » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Cyprus Airways is not doing well, because it is not run efficiently by the Government and due to stiff competition from budget airlines as well as the illegal restrictions that apply to their aircraft by Turkey.


south Cyp air is not doing well because there is no efficiency yes. There are too many employees just like in Greek state institutions. So they are bankrupt as a result of the Greek legacy of laziness and let's not work and eat all the money that comes from the EU mindset. There was a limit to what Europeans could tolerate and now it is time to pay back. Blaming Turks for your failure will not save you this time. :mrgreen:
User avatar
stpier
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:31 pm

stpier wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Cyprus Airways is not doing well, because it is not run efficiently by the Government and due to stiff competition from budget airlines as well as the illegal restrictions that apply to their aircraft by Turkey.


south Cyp air is not doing well because there is no efficiency yes. There are too many employees just like in Greek state institutions. So they are bankrupt as a result of the Greek legacy of laziness and let's not work and eat all the money that comes from the EU mindset. There was a limit to what Europeans could tolerate and now it is time to pay back. Blaming Turks for your failure will not save you this time. :mrgreen:


Government inefficiency is a given. Yes there were too many employees. Laziness, I don't think so. The Flight Crews/Cabin crews and Engineering staff at Cyprus Airways are excellent and award winning too!

Add competition from Budget Airlines, and airspace restrictions which are acknowledged by the EU (hence hefty compensation entitlements).

Here is another possibility for Cyprus Air: Virgin Atlantic!

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/tr ... rways.html
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Postby miltiades » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:59 pm

stpier wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Cyprus Airways is not doing well, because it is not run efficiently by the Government and due to stiff competition from budget airlines as well as the illegal restrictions that apply to their aircraft by Turkey.


south Cyp air is not doing well because there is no efficiency yes. There are too many employees just like in Greek state institutions. So they are bankrupt as a result of the Greek legacy of laziness and let's not work and eat all the money that comes from the EU mindset. There was a limit to what Europeans could tolerate and now it is time to pay back. Blaming Turks for your failure will not save you this time. :mrgreen:

Hey stupid, there is no airway called south Cyprus Air, are this thick !!!
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16332
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:12 pm

stpier wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
stpier wrote:
Paphitis wrote: So both of you, grow up and stick to the facts and don't talk rubbish! :roll:


Both of us??? There is nothing against me here. Thank you for contradicting liar shithead's rubbish.


Yes absolutely! Both of you are talking childish drivel.

You have even attempted to insult Cypriot and Greek Airlines by claiming they are small and are not a member of the Star Alliance which is completely false.

Aegean Airlines is quite some airline and are doing a terrific job at being Greece's new Flag Carrier Airline and are closely linked to Lufthansa.

Cyprus Airways may soon become Cyprus Air. For a tiny country of 800K, they too will be OK provided they can run the airline properly as a fully privatized airline.

Both have a small Aviation Market compared to Turkey (80 million).


I never commented on Aegean which is our sister airline! :evil:


Hey Skidmark,

You did mention Olympic Air in a derogatory way which happens to be 100% owned by Aegean Airlines and is also a Star Alliance Airline which means it is a "sister airline" to TA.

Just send a PM to the Admin asking him to ban you because it appears you're too stupid to be on this forum. :lol:
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Postby stpier » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:17 pm

I am talking about Olympic Airways and south Cyp airways stupid. Both are bankrupt national carriers unlike great Turkish Airlines! :D Left over of your ex national carrier Olympic Air is not my concern.
Last edited by stpier on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
stpier
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Turkeys EU accession progress report - 2013

Postby Get Real! » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Yeah, Airline ownerships are definitely something that I lose a lot of sleep over so I fully understand you lot… :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Previous

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests