The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Cinema, theater, music etc.

Re: Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Postby kurupetos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:11 pm

Flying Horse wrote:I never bother with reviews. I've fancied watching it since I saw it trailered on another DVD.

For us, we could relate. Rich man loses fortune, lives a life not accustomed, but rises a better man for it. The loss of loved ones, and of course......

Everyone should have an uncle Spiros in their life :D

No, that film has nothing to do with real Cypriots. :roll:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17911
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Postby Paphitis » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:37 pm

kurupetos wrote:
Flying Horse wrote:I never bother with reviews. I've fancied watching it since I saw it trailered on another DVD.

For us, we could relate. Rich man loses fortune, lives a life not accustomed, but rises a better man for it. The loss of loved ones, and of course......

Everyone should have an uncle Spiros in their life :D

No, that film has nothing to do with real Cypriots. :roll:


I agree with you! Very tacky film.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:06 pm

kurupetos wrote:
Flying Horse wrote:I never bother with reviews. I've fancied watching it since I saw it trailered on another DVD.

For us, we could relate. Rich man loses fortune, lives a life not accustomed, but rises a better man for it. The loss of loved ones, and of course......

Everyone should have an uncle Spiros in their life :D

No, that film has nothing to do with real Cypriots. :roll:


It doesn't pretend to be about all Cypriots. It's more a sad reflection on how quickly one can lose their roots and become impoverished spiritually. Of course, the protagonists were not real Charlies because they were born in Cyprus and only moved to the UK because of the Turkish invasion, so they still had an awareness of what they lost.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Postby Paphitis » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:54 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
kurupetos wrote:
Flying Horse wrote:I never bother with reviews. I've fancied watching it since I saw it trailered on another DVD.

For us, we could relate. Rich man loses fortune, lives a life not accustomed, but rises a better man for it. The loss of loved ones, and of course......

Everyone should have an uncle Spiros in their life :D

No, that film has nothing to do with real Cypriots. :roll:


It doesn't pretend to be about all Cypriots. It's more a sad reflection on how quickly one can lose their roots and become impoverished spiritually. Of course, the protagonists were not real Charlies because they were born in Cyprus and only moved to the UK because of the Turkish invasion, so they still had an awareness of what they lost.


Have you been drinking? :?
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Postby Flying Horse » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:06 pm

For goodness sake, its a family film. A little light entertainment!
No Hollywood blockbuster.

It's not meant as a serious film, comedy aimed at Sunday afternoon with the kids.

Blooming heck, do you lot ever kick off your shoes and have a night off from all this serious talk or what?
User avatar
Flying Horse
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:25 pm

Flying Horse wrote:For goodness sake, its a family film. A little light entertainment!
No Hollywood blockbuster.

It's not meant as a serious film, comedy aimed at Sunday afternoon with the kids.

Blooming heck, do you lot ever kick off your shoes and have a night off from all this serious talk or what?


You what? :shock:

It's 'Greek-inspired' .... therefore .... DEEP! 8) You must search for meaning! No relaxing .... :P
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Postby Oceanside50 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Paphitis wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
kurupetos wrote:
Flying Horse wrote:I never bother with reviews. I've fancied watching it since I saw it trailered on another DVD.

For us, we could relate. Rich man loses fortune, lives a life not accustomed, but rises a better man for it. The loss of loved ones, and of course......

Everyone should have an uncle Spiros in their life :D

No, that film has nothing to do with real Cypriots. :roll:


It doesn't pretend to be about all Cypriots. It's more a sad reflection on how quickly one can lose their roots and become impoverished spiritually. Of course, the protagonists were not real Charlies because they were born in Cyprus and only moved to the UK because of the Turkish invasion, so they still had an awareness of what they lost.


Have you been drinking? :?


Its actually very Cypriot(Greek) ive seen these types of stories play out many times in real life. A Cypriot in the diaspora hits it big, (usually a refugee) , then through all fault of his own becomes a "refugee" again and seeks help from close friends or family.....
Oceanside50
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Postby Paphitis » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:04 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
Flying Horse wrote:For goodness sake, its a family film. A little light entertainment!
No Hollywood blockbuster.

It's not meant as a serious film, comedy aimed at Sunday afternoon with the kids.

Blooming heck, do you lot ever kick off your shoes and have a night off from all this serious talk or what?


You what? :shock:

It's 'Greek-inspired' .... therefore .... DEEP! 8) You must search for meaning! No relaxing .... :P


I thought it was suppose to be a Cypriot Film!

Anyway, it is neither Cypriot nor Greek. It is just British stereotypical claptrap just like that stupid Portokallos Film! :roll:
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Postby Flying Horse » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:58 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
Flying Horse wrote:For goodness sake, its a family film. A little light entertainment!
No Hollywood blockbuster.

It's not meant as a serious film, comedy aimed at Sunday afternoon with the kids.

Blooming heck, do you lot ever kick off your shoes and have a night off from all this serious talk or what?


You what? :shock:

It's 'Greek-inspired' .... therefore .... DEEP! 8) You must search for meaning! No relaxing .... :P


:D :lol: Oh its deep, in a particularly stereotypical comedy Greek way.

Ironically, Mr Horses father was a well known Cypriot in Glasgow. Not Fish and Chips mind. Moussaka and Kebabs. Favourite tune was on that film.
To us it was funny and light entertainment. Brings back those stereotypical memories. :roll:

I like a bit of tripe every now and again Paphitis :mrgreen:
User avatar
Flying Horse
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Greek-inspired Films to watch ...

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Flying Horse wrote:Ironically, Mr Horses father was a well known Cypriot in Glasgow. Not Fish and Chips mind. Moussaka and Kebabs.


No horsemeat in the moussaka, we hope. :D
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests