The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Re: Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Postby Get Real! » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:53 pm

observer wrote:
observer wrote:Because Turkey thinks it can custom design an EU membership… in other words enjoy the “grandeur” of such membership while hanging onto their usual ways... but of course that cannot happen.


I agree with you. This will not happen. So, to return to my original question: Can you say one thing that Turkey has done differently between 2004 and 2014 when Cyprus was in the EU that was not the case between 1974 and 2004 when Cyprus was not in the EU?

Or is it for nothing that Cyprus has joined a club that it cannot afford to be a member of? Making it a mistake for Cyprus to have joined the EU.

I agree that it was a mistake joining the EU… I’ve always been saying that.

Turkey looks the same to me… in fact it’s probably more dictatorial now than it was 10 years ago.

The EU just creeps up in every institution, every organization, and every hole of a country like cancer and takes over everything.

As for Paphitis’ viewpoint… well he wasn’t living in Cyprus before or after EU membership, so all he can spout is the opinion of a distant Australian. :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40449
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Postby Paphitis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Get Real! wrote:
observer wrote:
observer wrote:Because Turkey thinks it can custom design an EU membership… in other words enjoy the “grandeur” of such membership while hanging onto their usual ways... but of course that cannot happen.


I agree with you. This will not happen. So, to return to my original question: Can you say one thing that Turkey has done differently between 2004 and 2014 when Cyprus was in the EU that was not the case between 1974 and 2004 when Cyprus was not in the EU?

Or is it for nothing that Cyprus has joined a club that it cannot afford to be a member of? Making it a mistake for Cyprus to have joined the EU.

I agree that it was a mistake joining the EU… I’ve always been saying that.

Turkey looks the same to me… in fact it’s probably more dictatorial now than it was 10 years ago.

The EU just creeps up in every institution, every organization, and every hole of a country like cancer and takes over everything.

As for Paphitis’ viewpoint… well he wasn’t living in Cyprus before or after EU membership, so all he can spout is the opinion of a distant Australian. :lol:


Joining the EU was not a mistake. Cyprus has far greater leverage within the EU. If Cyprus was not in the EU, then Turkey would have no obstacle before her. Absolutely none whatsoever.

The Eurozone is a different matter altogether! I think it was mistake joining the Eurozone. Should have done everything possible to stay out of that sinking Titanic!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Postby observer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:02 pm

[quote]As for Paphitis’ viewpoint… well he wasn’t living in Cyprus before or after EU membership, so all he can spout is the opinion of a distant Australian.
Get Real!

I agree. All he seems to be able to say is that because Cyprus joined the EU in 2004, Turkey has not joined since. Turkey didn't join between 1974 and 2004 either.

By the same logic - Turkey did not land on the moon between 1974 and 2004. in 2004 Cyprus joined the EU. Turkey did not land on the moon between 2004 and 2011.

Congratulations Paphitis on stopping Turkey land on the moon.
observer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1663
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:21 am

Re: Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Postby Paphitis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:07 pm

observer wrote:
As for Paphitis’ viewpoint… well he wasn’t living in Cyprus before or after EU membership, so all he can spout is the opinion of a distant Australian.
Get Real!

I agree. All he seems to be able to say is that because Cyprus joined the EU in 2004, Turkey has not joined since. Turkey didn't join between 1974 and 2004 either.

By the same logic - Turkey did not land on the moon between 1974 and 2004. in 2004 Cyprus joined the EU. Turkey did not land on the moon between 2004 and 2011.

Congratulations Paphitis on stopping Turkey land on the moon.


There was no chance of Turkey joining before 2004. They have so many reforms to complete from HR to freedom of the press and then the Kurdish Question.

But since Cyprus joined in 2004, there is still no chance of joining unless of course there is a comprehensive solution.

Turkey’s refusal to implement a trade pact between Turkey and the EU that requires the Turkish government to allow Greek Cypriot vessels to use its air and sea ports has prompted the EU to freeze eight chapters in Turkey's accession talks.[100]


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_ ... pean_Union

And here is Turkey's last Accession Report:

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RS22517.pdf
Last edited by Paphitis on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Postby observer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Joining the EU was not a mistake. Cyprus has far greater leverage within the EU. If Cyprus was not in the EU, then Turkey would have no obstacle before her. Absolutely none whatsoever.


The influence of RoC within the EU is like the influence of a pimple on the backside of an elephant. Sure, the pimple may be moving somewhere, but it has no influence in what direction. As for "if Cyprus was not in the EU then Turkey would have no obstacle before her". That is imagiing RoC has a bigger influence than it has, which amounts to the influence of a pimple on the pimple on the backside of an elephant.
observer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1663
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:21 am

Re: Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Postby Paphitis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:11 pm

observer wrote:
Joining the EU was not a mistake. Cyprus has far greater leverage within the EU. If Cyprus was not in the EU, then Turkey would have no obstacle before her. Absolutely none whatsoever.


The influence of RoC within the EU is like the influence of a pimple on the backside of an elephant. Sure, the pimple may be moving somewhere, but it has no influence in what direction. As for "if Cyprus was not in the EU then Turkey would have no obstacle before her". That is imagiing RoC has a bigger influence than it has, which amounts to the influence of a pimple on the pimple on the backside of an elephant.


It's not about influence. It's about having the veto and your accession chapters permanently frozen unless there is a settlement.

They can't just revoke a member's veto whenever they like.

How do you expect Turkey to circumvent that?
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Postby Get Real! » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 pm

observer wrote:
Joining the EU was not a mistake. Cyprus has far greater leverage within the EU. If Cyprus was not in the EU, then Turkey would have no obstacle before her. Absolutely none whatsoever.


The influence of RoC within the EU is like the influence of a pimple on the backside of an elephant. Sure, the pimple may be moving somewhere, but it has no influence in what direction. As for "if Cyprus was not in the EU then Turkey would have no obstacle before her". That is imagiing RoC has a bigger influence than it has, which amounts to the influence of a pimple on the pimple on the backside of an elephant.

I wouldn’t brag about Turkey’s influence either despite being 80 million strong… :lol:

For an 80 million strong country it’s a very feeble and volatile entity.
Last edited by Get Real! on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40449
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Postby observer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Paphitis wrote:
observer wrote:
As for Paphitis’ viewpoint… well he wasn’t living in Cyprus before or after EU membership, so all he can spout is the opinion of a distant Australian.
Get Real!

I agree. All he seems to be able to say is that because Cyprus joined the EU in 2004, Turkey has not joined since. Turkey didn't join between 1974 and 2004 either.

By the same logic - Turkey did not land on the moon between 1974 and 2004. in 2004 Cyprus joined the EU. Turkey did not land on the moon between 2004 and 2011.

Congratulations Paphitis on stopping Turkey land on the moon.


There was no chance of Turkey joining before 2004. They have so many reforms to complete from HR to freedom of the press and then the Kurdish Question.

But since Cyprus joined in 2004, there is still no chance of joining unless of course there is a comprehensive solution.

Turkey’s refusal to implement a trade pact between Turkey and the EU that requires the Turkish government to allow Greek Cypriot vessels to use its air and sea ports has prompted the EU to freeze eight chapters in Turkey's accession talks.[100]


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_ ... pean_Union

And here is Turkey's last Accession Report:

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RS22517.pdf



Paphitis ...... I agree with you ...... we all agree with you. Turkey is not going to join the EU, for which I am grateful as it is a bit like being invited to join the Titanic's orchestra.

But I still wait for you to tell me one thing that has changed from 1974 to 2004 when Cyprus was not in the EU and 2004 and 2014 when Cyprus was in the EU.
observer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1663
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:21 am

Re: Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Postby Paphitis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Get Real! wrote:
observer wrote:
Joining the EU was not a mistake. Cyprus has far greater leverage within the EU. If Cyprus was not in the EU, then Turkey would have no obstacle before her. Absolutely none whatsoever.


The influence of RoC within the EU is like the influence of a pimple on the backside of an elephant. Sure, the pimple may be moving somewhere, but it has no influence in what direction. As for "if Cyprus was not in the EU then Turkey would have no obstacle before her". That is imagiing RoC has a bigger influence than it has, which amounts to the influence of a pimple on the pimple on the backside of an elephant.

I wouldn’t brag about Turkey’s influence either despite being 80 million strong… :lol:


It serves you right for supporting a supporter of the RoC's illegal division and occupation! :roll:
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Was it a mistake to join the eu?

Postby Paphitis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:17 pm

observer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
observer wrote:
As for Paphitis’ viewpoint… well he wasn’t living in Cyprus before or after EU membership, so all he can spout is the opinion of a distant Australian.
Get Real!

I agree. All he seems to be able to say is that because Cyprus joined the EU in 2004, Turkey has not joined since. Turkey didn't join between 1974 and 2004 either.

By the same logic - Turkey did not land on the moon between 1974 and 2004. in 2004 Cyprus joined the EU. Turkey did not land on the moon between 2004 and 2011.

Congratulations Paphitis on stopping Turkey land on the moon.


There was no chance of Turkey joining before 2004. They have so many reforms to complete from HR to freedom of the press and then the Kurdish Question.

But since Cyprus joined in 2004, there is still no chance of joining unless of course there is a comprehensive solution.

Turkey’s refusal to implement a trade pact between Turkey and the EU that requires the Turkish government to allow Greek Cypriot vessels to use its air and sea ports has prompted the EU to freeze eight chapters in Turkey's accession talks.[100]


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_ ... pean_Union

And here is Turkey's last Accession Report:

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RS22517.pdf



Paphitis ...... I agree with you ...... we all agree with you. Turkey is not going to join the EU, for which I am grateful as it is a bit like being invited to join the Titanic's orchestra.

But I still wait for you to tell me one thing that has changed from 1974 to 2004 when Cyprus was not in the EU and 2004 and 2014 when Cyprus was in the EU.


Observer,

it doesn't matter what you want!

Turkey wants to join, that much is very clear. There are big advantages for Turkey should it join.

But it can't join because it simply is not possible without Turkey recognizing all member States.

What has changed? The negotiations for one. Despite all of Eroglu's opposition to agreeing to a Joint Communique, we found that Turkey had no choice but to succumb to EU/US pressure. I told you that many posts ago!

I don't believe the EU is a sinking ship. The Eurozone I am not so sure about either. That may sink like the Titanic.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest