The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Anything related to the Internet, computers and technology in general.

Re: Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Postby Get Real! » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:26 am

Sotos wrote:So GR, imagine you had an 18 year old daughter who lived in another country and her PC broke down... would you trust it to another technician to fix her PC? Think about it... That person could see all her videos and photos on her hard drive... maybe some personal XXX ones? If she is using an email client on her computer he could go through her email which maybe contains sensitive info such as passwords to various services. Her browser could contain cookies that could allow him to auto-login on some of the websites she is using. Those that know how don't need much time to find the sensitive info... and that is just what the curious type would do... but every once in a while you might even fall on some malicious one ... and lets not even talk about what that one could do!

If one *must* take naked pictures/videos of themselves then they should immediately move them to an external USB storage for this very reason… in case the machine breaks down and needs to go for repairs.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40506
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Postby boomerang » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:00 am

Sotos wrote:Problem with Win 8 is that it is more fitting for tablets than PCs... so it might be good on your Surface because it is a tablet! I tried 8 for a few weeks on a laptop and I didn't like it. As far as the surface goes ... it seems to be more of tablet/laptop hybrid than just a tablet. I think it has potential but to compete in the tablet department it needs to be lighter, with better battery life and more tablet specific apps.


I have no problem using win 8.1 on anything...so for me there is no problem...I am very adaptable... :lol:

The surface can directly compete with laptops or tablets...yes a little heavier than tablets but with a lot more grunt...using real CPU and real software...unlike the tablets with limited power and no fully blown software support such as photoshop for example...

the surface is very versatile machine...
User avatar
boomerang
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:56 am

Re: Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Postby Sotos » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:03 am

Get Real! wrote:
Sotos wrote:Unfortunately it is not "like any other". See here: http://mashable.com/2013/10/25/macbook- ... -teardown/ . Not even the hard drive or memory is user replaceable or up-gradable in the newest models. I don't know who "John Lewis" is, but assuming his guarantee is equivalent to Apple's own guarantee then you are OK for 3 years. After that any fix will probably be a very expensive one, so if your Mac breaks after 3 years you will probably be better off buying a new computer.

Same with all tablets Sotos, everything is soldered on the MB and that’s how they are so slim. People want slim because it’s “cool” so they get one-piece irreparable junk! :lol:

Same with laptops… the slimmer the laptop the junkier it is.


I agree ... but Jerry thought that the MacBook Pro will last longer when odds are that it will not. And I think slim and light are very important factors for mobile devices such as tablets and laptops... you just need to understand that in order to gain that you give up something else, such as the ability to upgrade or cheaply fix certain issues of your device.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10694
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Postby kurupetos » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:20 pm

Get Real! wrote:
Sotos wrote:So GR, imagine you had an 18 year old daughter who lived in another country and her PC broke down... would you trust it to another technician to fix her PC? Think about it... That person could see all her videos and photos on her hard drive... maybe some personal XXX ones? If she is using an email client on her computer he could go through her email which maybe contains sensitive info such as passwords to various services. Her browser could contain cookies that could allow him to auto-login on some of the websites she is using. Those that know how don't need much time to find the sensitive info... and that is just what the curious type would do... but every once in a while you might even fall on some malicious one ... and lets not even talk about what that one could do!

If one *must* take naked pictures/videos of themselves then they should immediately move them to an external USB storage for this very reason… in case the machine breaks down and needs to go for repairs.

I already posted your naked pictures in the internet.

Image
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17938
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Postby Jerry » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:55 pm

Sotos wrote:
Get Real! wrote:
Sotos wrote:Unfortunately it is not "like any other". See here: http://mashable.com/2013/10/25/macbook- ... -teardown/ . Not even the hard drive or memory is user replaceable or up-gradable in the newest models. I don't know who "John Lewis" is, but assuming his guarantee is equivalent to Apple's own guarantee then you are OK for 3 years. After that any fix will probably be a very expensive one, so if your Mac breaks after 3 years you will probably be better off buying a new computer.

Same with all tablets Sotos, everything is soldered on the MB and that’s how they are so slim. People want slim because it’s “cool” so they get one-piece irreparable junk! :lol:

Same with laptops… the slimmer the laptop the junkier it is.


I agree ... but Jerry thought that the MacBook Pro will last longer when odds are that it will not. And I think slim and light are very important factors for mobile devices such as tablets and laptops... you just need to understand that in order to gain that you give up something else, such as the ability to upgrade or cheaply fix certain issues of your device.



So Sotos is there any way the life of the battery can be extended? I use mine at home most of the time, can it be overcharged once it is "full", is it best to best to keep the charger plugged in whnever possible?

Advice would be appreciated.
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Postby Sotos » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:06 pm

Jerry wrote:
Sotos wrote:
Get Real! wrote:
Sotos wrote:Unfortunately it is not "like any other". See here: http://mashable.com/2013/10/25/macbook- ... -teardown/ . Not even the hard drive or memory is user replaceable or up-gradable in the newest models. I don't know who "John Lewis" is, but assuming his guarantee is equivalent to Apple's own guarantee then you are OK for 3 years. After that any fix will probably be a very expensive one, so if your Mac breaks after 3 years you will probably be better off buying a new computer.

Same with all tablets Sotos, everything is soldered on the MB and that’s how they are so slim. People want slim because it’s “cool” so they get one-piece irreparable junk! :lol:

Same with laptops… the slimmer the laptop the junkier it is.


I agree ... but Jerry thought that the MacBook Pro will last longer when odds are that it will not. And I think slim and light are very important factors for mobile devices such as tablets and laptops... you just need to understand that in order to gain that you give up something else, such as the ability to upgrade or cheaply fix certain issues of your device.



So Sotos is there any way the life of the battery can be extended? I use mine at home most of the time, can it be overcharged once it is "full", is it best to best to keep the charger plugged in whnever possible?

Advice would be appreciated.


Personally I rarely use laptops... I might use mine just once a year when I go abroad for holidays. So I don't know whats best and there is a lot of conflicting info online. The only thing I noticed is that sometimes the battery could go bad if you leave a laptop totally unused for many months. You can check the apple forums for more specific suggestions, e.g. this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5514839
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10694
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Postby Get Real! » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Jerry wrote:So Sotos is there any way the life of the battery can be extended? I use mine at home most of the time, can it be overcharged once it is "full", is it best to best to keep the charger plugged in whnever possible?

Advice would be appreciated.

Why don’t you talk to your sons Jerry? After all they’re the ones who convinced you to make the switch so they should have all the answers for you.

If the Mac’s batteries are anything like those of IBM clones (<- Windows based machines) then the answers to your questions are...

(1) It depends on the type of battery… there are too many types and too many methods like… fully discharging it with a special discharger and then fully charging it with a special charger to the max so as to set the battery’s “memory” but you don’t want to get into all that because it’s a science in its own right. It's too late for you now anyway because you've already used it and this has to be done the very first time.

(2) When the charger is plugged in it tops up your battery if needed and then automatically stops so don’t worry about leaving your charger plugged in.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40506
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Postby Jerry » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Get Real! wrote:
Jerry wrote:So Sotos is there any way the life of the battery can be extended? I use mine at home most of the time, can it be overcharged once it is "full", is it best to best to keep the charger plugged in whnever possible?

Advice would be appreciated.

Why don’t you talk to your sons Jerry? After all they’re the ones who convinced you to make the switch so they should have all the answers for you.

If the Mac’s batteries are anything like those of IBM clones (<- Windows based machines) then the answers to your questions are...

(1) It depends on the type of battery… there are too many types and too many methods like… fully discharging it with a special discharger and then fully charging it with a special charger to the max so as to set the battery’s “memory” but you don’t want to get into all that because it’s a science in its own right. It's too late for you now anyway because you've already used it and this has to be done the very first time.

(2) When the charger is plugged in it tops up your battery if needed and then automatically stops so don’t worry about leaving your charger plugged in.


Both my sons have their Macs supplied by the people they work for regularly changed so I don't think battery life is an issue. If the battery is not being discharged when plugged in to charger I guess that is the way to extend battery life. The battery does go a long time between charges so I suppose fewer charging/discharging cycles means a longer life - I hope.

I'll check out the Apple forums as Sotos suggests, many thanks to you both.
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Postby Jerry » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:39 pm

Having mugged up on laptop battery life the advice seems to be:-

1. Run it on charger whenever possible

2. Don't let battery go below about 15%

3. Run on battery power once or twice a month

4. Close laptop down when not in use and remove charger

Apple say MacBook Pro should be good for up to 1000 recharge cycles, I'll post here in 10 years time if this is true :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why your Windows XP box may have started to fail...

Postby Sotos » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Jerry wrote:Apple say MacBook Pro should be good for up to 1000 recharge cycles, I'll post here in 10 years time if this is true :lol: :lol: :lol:


All computer parts should run for a very long time, but if they always did then there wouldn't be a need for a warranty. Shit happens, and the battery is one of the parts that shit happens relatively often. Also, the battery is one of those few parts that can deteriorate within a few months/years. While your CPU will run as fast in 5 years as it runs today, it is highly unlikely that this will be the case with the battery. When Apple says that the battery should be "good" for 1000 recharge cycles, they mean "80% good", not "100% good". Of course this doesn't matter because in 5-6 years you will probably want a new computer anyway ;)
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10694
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

PreviousNext

Return to Internet, Computers and Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests