The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Football, Basketball, F1 etc.

Re: Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Postby Sotos » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:57 pm

Paphitis wrote:Geez they are total crap! :roll:

Worst team of the mundial by far and a total disgrace!


How can they be the worst team when Japan didn't manage to win them even though Greece was playing with 10 players for most of the game? Taking it a step further, Japan is better than Australia, since Japan was in the same group as Australia in the qualification groups for the WC and Japan was first with 17 points and Australia had just 13. So Greece > Japan > Australia! Greece might not play a very fancy game but they won the Euro not that long ago ;)
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10647
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Postby Paphitis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Sotos wrote:
Paphitis wrote:Geez they are total crap! :roll:

Worst team of the mundial by far and a total disgrace!


How can they be the worst team when Japan didn't manage to win them even though Greece was playing with 10 players for most of the game? Taking it a step further, Japan is better than Australia, since Japan was in the same group as Australia in the qualification groups for the WC and Japan was first with 17 points and Australia had just 13. So Greece > Japan > Australia! Greece might not play a very fancy game but they won the Euro not that long ago ;)


Actually I don't see it that way.

Australia was in disarray with instability. They sacked a manager, were playing under a player coach, and changed the entire squad. This team was out together 5 weeks before the World Cup from a short list of 100 players.

This team has gelled together as young as they are. They are creative, audacious, courageous, and have grit and lots of soul. More than Japan and more than Greece. They certainly would defeat both as things stand.

Greece and Japan, have not demonstrated any of the above qualities. No creativity, no toughness, no audacity, no courage or self belief = no chance.

That is why I believe Greece is the worst team of mundial. It certainly is not Australia the way they play.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Postby Paphitis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:16 pm

kurupetos wrote:Paphitis you are ridiculous. :lol:

Greece won 1 point, while Australia, England, Spain, etc. are still with 0 points.

How's Greece the worst team of the WC? :? :lol: :x

And also Greece still has the chance to qualify to the next round, if she wins Ivory Coast next week... :wink:


It does not matter that you have 1 point.

Greece showed nothing but negative soccer. No flare in front of goal, no creativity nothing.

All they can do is play defensive, and rely on set pieces.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Sotos wrote:
Paphitis wrote:Geez they are total crap! :roll:

Worst team of the mundial by far and a total disgrace!


How can they be the worst team when Japan didn't manage to win them even though Greece was playing with 10 players for most of the game? Taking it a step further, Japan is better than Australia, since Japan was in the same group as Australia in the qualification groups for the WC and Japan was first with 17 points and Australia had just 13. So Greece > Japan > Australia! Greece might not play a very fancy game but they won the Euro not that long ago ;)


I'm not a footy fan, but great to hear how well a small nation of 10 Million people are doing compared to some giants. Your assessment is spot on with FIFA world rankings:

Greece 12th > Japan 46th > Aus .... :P ....62nd.
(Pop: 10,816,286 - 127,100,100 - 23,530,900)



http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8948
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Postby Paphitis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:34 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
Sotos wrote:
Paphitis wrote:Geez they are total crap! :roll:

Worst team of the mundial by far and a total disgrace!


How can they be the worst team when Japan didn't manage to win them even though Greece was playing with 10 players for most of the game? Taking it a step further, Japan is better than Australia, since Japan was in the same group as Australia in the qualification groups for the WC and Japan was first with 17 points and Australia had just 13. So Greece > Japan > Australia! Greece might not play a very fancy game but they won the Euro not that long ago ;)


I'm not a footy fan, but great to hear how well a small nation of 10 Million people are doing compared to some giants. Your assessment is spot on with FIFA world rankings:

Greece 12th > Japan 46th > Aus .... :P ....62nd.
(Pop: 10,816,286 - 127,100,100 - 23,530,900)



http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/


Do you honestly believe Australia is ranked lower than Greece?

I ask you this because I don't think Greece has a hope in hell beating this Australian Team.

Furthermore you need to look at the ELO rankings which have a better way of calculating rankings. Greece is still ranked higher there, but ask any expert and Australia is ranked higher based on the quality of players and the team itself.

Australia has gone through a lot of turmoil in the past 12 months, hence some woeful and unnacceptable results, but this team has been together for 4 games so far, are young, and have displayed a lot of tenacity, courage, and creativity. Greece on the other hand, and to a lesser degree, Japan have shown very little promise.
Last edited by Paphitis on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Postby erolz66 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:35 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
Greece 12th > Japan 46th > Aus .... :P ....62nd.
(Pop: 10,816,286 - 127,100,100 - 23,530,900)



http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/


Portugal - fifa world ranked 4th population 10.5 million
Switzerland - fifa world ranked 6th population 8 million
Uruguay - fifa world ranked 7th population 3.45 million
Belgium - fifa world ranked 11th population 11 million
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Postby Paphitis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:37 pm

erolz66 wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
Greece 12th > Japan 46th > Aus .... :P ....62nd.
(Pop: 10,816,286 - 127,100,100 - 23,530,900)



http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/


Portugal - fifa world ranked 4th population 10.5 million
Switzerland - fifa world ranked 6th population 8 million
Uruguay - fifa world ranked 7th population 3.45 million
Belgium - fifa world ranked 11th population 11 million


Yes spot on Erolz.

And another thing. What does the population of Australia and USA got to do with it when Soccer is not a national pastime?
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Postby zan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Paphitis wrote:
erolz66 wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
Greece 12th > Japan 46th > Aus .... :P ....62nd.
(Pop: 10,816,286 - 127,100,100 - 23,530,900)



http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/


Portugal - fifa world ranked 4th population 10.5 million
Switzerland - fifa world ranked 6th population 8 million
Uruguay - fifa world ranked 7th population 3.45 million
Belgium - fifa world ranked 11th population 11 million


Yes spot on Erolz.

And another thing. What does the population of Australia and USA got to do with it when Soccer is not a national pastime?



They were a bunch of time wasters. Made me stay up for nothing :evil:
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Re: Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:59 pm

erolz66 wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
Greece 12th > Japan 46th > Aus .... :P ....62nd.
(Pop: 10,816,286 - 127,100,100 - 23,530,900)



http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/


Portugal - fifa world ranked 4th population 10.5 million
Switzerland - fifa world ranked 6th population 8 million
Uruguay - fifa world ranked 7th population 3.45 million
Belgium - fifa world ranked 11th population 11 million


I accept those small countries are excellent as well; but they were not under discussion in the context of the comparisons being made.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8948
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Greece: worst team of the World Cup

Postby Paphitis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:03 pm

zan wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
erolz66 wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
Greece 12th > Japan 46th > Aus .... :P ....62nd.
(Pop: 10,816,286 - 127,100,100 - 23,530,900)



http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/


Portugal - fifa world ranked 4th population 10.5 million
Switzerland - fifa world ranked 6th population 8 million
Uruguay - fifa world ranked 7th population 3.45 million
Belgium - fifa world ranked 11th population 11 million


Yes spot on Erolz.

And another thing. What does the population of Australia and USA got to do with it when Soccer is not a national pastime?



They were a bunch of time wasters. Made me stay up for nothing :evil:


I got to agree with you Zan (unfortunately)!

They showed nothing in their 2 games. Absolutely nothing and they are now prime candidates as the worst team seen at this World Cup.

Perhaps our Greek Cypriot forumers here need to eat some humble pie. They made fun of Australia but at the end of the day. The egg is on their face and not Australia's.

Australia holds its head up high because they came and they are playing a style of Football that can beat anyone. Can't say the same of Greece.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests