The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Postby Nikitas » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:44 pm

Greek sheftalia is a traditional dish from the Pelio area. They are huge, oversalted, strangely flavored with oregano and in short inedible.

Even when made by Cypriots in Greece, sheftalia do not have the same flavor as in Cyprus, I reckon the meat is different quality.

The French make a similar thing they call crepinette with caul (panna) and sausage mix filling baked in the oven. Again, too fatty, and not as good tasting as ours.
Nikitas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Postby kurupetos » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Yes, sheftalia is one of the best Greek dishes. 8)
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17938
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Postby Cap » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Nikitas wrote:Greek sheftalia is a traditional dish from the Pelio area. They are huge, oversalted, strangely flavored with oregano and in short inedible.

Even when made by Cypriots in Greece, sheftalia do not have the same flavor as in Cyprus, I reckon the meat is different quality.

The French make a similar thing they call crepinette with caul (panna) and sausage mix filling baked in the oven. Again, too fatty, and not as good tasting as ours.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheftalia
User avatar
Cap
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6820
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Cypriot Empire

Re: Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Postby kurupetos » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:09 pm

The other day I bought an electric socket, which was made in Cyprus! :)

It was slightly more expensive than an equivalent German one, but since Cypriot products are usually better quality than anything imported, my choice was easy. :)
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17938
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Postby Get Real! » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:10 pm

kurupetos wrote:The other day I bought an electric socket, which was made in Cyprus! :)

It was slightly more expensive than an equivalent German one, but since Cypriot products are usually better quality than anything imported, my choice was easy. :)

Like!
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40503
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Postby supporttheunderdog » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:03 pm

Ice.... sold by the bag in the local Periptero....
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Postby kurupetos » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:42 pm

Get Real! wrote:
kurupetos wrote:The other day I bought an electric socket, which was made in Cyprus! :)

It was slightly more expensive than an equivalent German one, but since Cypriot products are usually better quality than anything imported, my choice was easy. :)

Like!

Dunno the exact brand though... :?
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17938
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Postby Oceanside50 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:51 pm

i call them rafkioles,


Ravioles is a Cypriot pasta dish, similar to ravioli, having its roots probably from the Venetian times. In Cyprus this pasta dish is filled with aged halloumi and the pasta is cooked in chicken broth.




http://kopiaste.org/2007/11/ravioles-or ... in-cyprus/
Oceanside50
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Postby repulsewarrior » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:06 pm



...brilliant! (one of my favorite foods in any case)
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7611
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Anytthing cool made in Cyprus?

Postby Oceanside50 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Flaounes ...and avka with liver...xoglastes patates...patates antinaxtes
Oceanside50
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest