The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Ask any specific question related to Cyprus.

Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Postby Talagirl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:22 pm

Just wondered if anyone can give information about the treatment available in Cyprus for a retired friend who would like to come and live in Cyprus but is insulin dependent?

Thanks
Talagirl
Trial Member
Trial Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Re: Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Postby miltiades » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Talagirl wrote:Just wondered if anyone can give information about the treatment available in Cyprus for a retired friend who would like to come and live in Cyprus but is insulin dependent?

Thanks

There are many Cypriots insulin dependent diabetics, including my older brother and brother in law. I dont think your friend would have any problems obtaining his / her medication, the question is, how much if any.

My brother lives in the UK but spends long spells in Cyprus, he usually takes his own.



Being a diabetic my self, though not on insulin, thanks to green tea leaves, I can recommend this wonderful brew that has kept me off insulin thus far. You can buy Green tea in Cyprus, no milk though, in time you get used to drinking it without milk and even become addicted to it, but marvellous for blood control levels.
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16332
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:22 pm

Miltiades, you have Type 2 diabetes brought on by your diet/lifestyle (British?). The poster is asking about Type 1 which is genetically-predisposed/inherited and requires insulin not just dietary-controls.

(BTW - IMHO you can replace green tea with hot water and it would have exactly the same effect. 'Water is best' - Pindar.)
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Postby miltiades » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:52 am

Both Diabetes 1 and 2 are on the whole genetically predisposed.Diabetes 2 can be brought about by life style, environmental affects etc.
A substantial number of insulin dependant diabetics were type 2 at the outset.
in my case is genetic since on my mothers side all of her family were type 2, there are 19 first cousins from my mothers side
16 are still alive and all diabetics some on insulin and some like me on tablets. The 3 that passed away were NOT Diabetics !!!
Most type 2 diabetics, eventually progress to insulin dependance.

Green tea is beneficial in controlling blood levels because of the many ingredients it contains so its nonsense to say hot water is just as good.

im talking from personal experience and not from medical backround.

before discovering the benefits of green tea leaves my blood levels were consistently over 10 ( 180) quarterly average. Now below 7 ( 126 ) .Other factors have also helped, learning the glycemic values of all food and avoiding the high ones such as potatoes, rice, bread as well as water melon has helped me a lot.
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16332
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Postby Tim Drayton » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:57 am

It partly depends on whether you are talking about public or private health care. The public health system in Cyprus is below par of that in the UK, but excellent private health care can be found in many fields and it is generally cheaper than in the UK.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Postby Oceanside50 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:24 pm

miltiades wrote:Both Diabetes 1 and 2 are on the whole genetically predisposed.Diabetes 2 can be brought about by life style, environmental affects etc.
A substantial number of insulin dependant diabetics were type 2 at the outset.
in my case is genetic since on my mothers side all of her family were type 2, there are 19 first cousins from my mothers side
16 are still alive and all diabetics some on insulin and some like me on tablets. The 3 that passed away were NOT Diabetics !!!
Most type 2 diabetics, eventually progress to insulin dependance.

Green tea is beneficial in controlling blood levels because of the many ingredients it contains so its nonsense to say hot water is just as good.

im talking from personal experience and not from medical backround.

before discovering the benefits of green tea leaves my blood levels were consistently over 10 ( 180) quarterly average. Now below 7 ( 126 ) .Other factors have also helped, learning the glycemic values of all food and avoiding the high ones such as potatoes, rice, bread as well as water melon has helped me a lot.


from what I've seen cypriots are predisposed to diabetes, why?
Oceanside50
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2062
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:33 pm

miltiades wrote:Both Diabetes 1 and 2 are on the whole genetically predisposed.Diabetes 2 can be brought about by life style, environmental affects etc.
A substantial number of insulin dependant diabetics were type 2 at the outset.
in my case is genetic since on my mothers side all of her family were type 2, there are 19 first cousins from my mothers side
16 are still alive and all diabetics some on insulin and some like me on tablets. The 3 that passed away were NOT Diabetics !!!
Most type 2 diabetics, eventually progress to insulin dependance.

Green tea is beneficial in controlling blood levels because of the many ingredients it contains so its nonsense to say hot water is just as good.

im talking from personal experience and not from medical backround.

before discovering the benefits of green tea leaves my blood levels were consistently over 10 ( 180) quarterly average. Now below 7 ( 126 ) .Other factors have also helped, learning the glycemic values of all food and avoiding the high ones such as potatoes, rice, bread as well as water melon has helped me a lot.


The main reason Type 2 diabetes is seen in many members of the same family is because of the tendency to copy the same lifestyles which are high Western-style carbohydrate-consumption and no exercise.

One of the reasons why we have seen a huge increase in Cyprus (as in many islands and globally generally) is that within ONE generation we have gone from a high fish, high vegetable, some fruit diet to one primarily high in Western-style simple carbohydrates and have given up tending fields. No time to acclimatize to such high, easily-accessible carbohydrate diets when our carbohydrate intake was lower/slower.

The sugar industry will try and convince you otherwise.

- And your green tea drinking only helps because it gets you drinking more water.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Postby miltiades » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:10 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
miltiades wrote:Both Diabetes 1 and 2 are on the whole genetically predisposed.Diabetes 2 can be brought about by life style, environmental affects etc.
A substantial number of insulin dependant diabetics were type 2 at the outset.
in my case is genetic since on my mothers side all of her family were type 2, there are 19 first cousins from my mothers side
16 are still alive and all diabetics some on insulin and some like me on tablets. The 3 that passed away were NOT Diabetics !!!
Most type 2 diabetics, eventually progress to insulin dependance.

Green tea is beneficial in controlling blood levels because of the many ingredients it contains so its nonsense to say hot water is just as good.

im talking from personal experience and not from medical backround.

before discovering the benefits of green tea leaves my blood levels were consistently over 10 ( 180) quarterly average. Now below 7 ( 126 ) .Other factors have also helped, learning the glycemic values of all food and avoiding the high ones such as potatoes, rice, bread as well as water melon has helped me a lot.


The main reason Type 2 diabetes is seen in many members of the same family is because of the tendency to copy the same lifestyles which are high Western-style carbohydrate-consumption and no exercise.

One of the reasons why we have seen a huge increase in Cyprus (as in many islands and globally generally) is that within ONE generation we have gone from a high fish, high vegetable, some fruit diet to one primarily high in Western-style simple carbohydrates and have given up tending fields. No time to acclimatize to such high, easily-accessible carbohydrate diets when our carbohydrate intake was lower/slower.

The sugar industry will try and convince you otherwise.

- And your green tea drinking only helps because it gets you drinking more water.

For a scientist you do surprise me as to your limited knowledge of the causes of diabetes which primarily are hereditary. Obesity coupled with luck of exercise , an abundance of carbohydrates are indeed one of the factors, but a genetic inheritance is by far the most contributory .

Green Tea Leaves can help the control of blood levels, do some research.

My two other brothers are also diabetics, the older now on insulin and the younger, like me, on tablets and diet etc.

My late sister was not but got cancer and passed away.

Diabetes is a very serious disease, by being your " own" diabetic specialist can help you control the disease, indeed as I do.
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16332
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Postby miltiades » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:35 pm

“We know people with diabetes have problems metabolizing sugar,” says Suzanne Steinbaum, DO, a cardiologist, director of women’s heart health at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, and author of Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum’s Heart Book. “Insulin comes along to decrease sugar, but with type 2 diabetes, the body isn’t so sensitive to insulin, so blood sugar levels go up. Through a complex biochemical reaction, tea -- especially green tea -- helps sensitize cells so they are better able to metabolize sugar. Green tea is good for people with diabetes because it helps the metabolic system function better.”
http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/drin ... revention/

Drinking tea for diabetes is such a good idea because tea contains substances called polyphenols, antioxidants found in every plant. “Polyphenols help reduce oxidative stress and cause vasodilation (widening of the arteries), which decreases blood pressure, prevents clotting, and reduces cholesterol,” Dr. Steinbaum says. All of these activities reduce the risk for heart disease, which is elevated in people with diabetes. Polyphenols in green tea can also help regulate glucose in the body, helping to prevent or control diabetes.

diabetes.

“When you say, ‘What is the best diet for diabetes?,’ people are hoping for this amazing plan," Steinbaum says. "But it really comes down to eating colorful fruits and veggies, nuts, drinking green tea, eating fish with omega-3 fatty acids, and getting a little cocoa and R E D W I N E -- and you’re done."
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16332
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Type 1 Diabetes - Treatment in the Paphos Area

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:01 pm

miltiades wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
miltiades wrote:Both Diabetes 1 and 2 are on the whole genetically predisposed.Diabetes 2 can be brought about by life style, environmental affects etc.
A substantial number of insulin dependant diabetics were type 2 at the outset.
in my case is genetic since on my mothers side all of her family were type 2, there are 19 first cousins from my mothers side
16 are still alive and all diabetics some on insulin and some like me on tablets. The 3 that passed away were NOT Diabetics !!!
Most type 2 diabetics, eventually progress to insulin dependance.

Green tea is beneficial in controlling blood levels because of the many ingredients it contains so its nonsense to say hot water is just as good.

im talking from personal experience and not from medical backround.

before discovering the benefits of green tea leaves my blood levels were consistently over 10 ( 180) quarterly average. Now below 7 ( 126 ) .Other factors have also helped, learning the glycemic values of all food and avoiding the high ones such as potatoes, rice, bread as well as water melon has helped me a lot.


The main reason Type 2 diabetes is seen in many members of the same family is because of the tendency to copy the same lifestyles which are high Western-style carbohydrate-consumption and no exercise.

One of the reasons why we have seen a huge increase in Cyprus (as in many islands and globally generally) is that within ONE generation we have gone from a high fish, high vegetable, some fruit diet to one primarily high in Western-style simple carbohydrates and have given up tending fields. No time to acclimatize to such high, easily-accessible carbohydrate diets when our carbohydrate intake was lower/slower.

The sugar industry will try and convince you otherwise.

- And your green tea drinking only helps because it gets you drinking more water.

For a scientist you do surprise me as to your limited knowledge of the causes of diabetes which primarily are hereditary. Obesity coupled with luck of exercise , an abundance of carbohydrates are indeed one of the factors, but a genetic inheritance is by far the most contributory .

Green Tea Leaves can help the control of blood levels, do some research.

My two other brothers are also diabetics, the older now on insulin and the younger, like me, on tablets and diet etc.

My late sister was not but got cancer and passed away.

Diabetes is a very serious disease, by being your " own" diabetic specialist can help you control the disease, indeed as I do.


Excuses, excuses, excuses! The modern problem is to blame genetics. :roll:

In my experience, if there is ANY semblance of an environmental control (and diabetes has one of the GREATEST), then, it is up to the individual, as unwanted as this might sound, to exercise dietary/exercise CONTROL!.

No 'if's or 'but's or genes .... you can completely control Type 2 with diet and exercise ALONE! That is then, a 100% environmentally controlled condition, right?

As for your 'green tea' theories, you have succumbed to the hype! :P
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Next

Return to Cyprus Questions and Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests