The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Lordo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:02 pm

similar to what happened in magusa in 63. when a police chief lost his son, he had his man stop the first tc van with 10 people in it and not even their bones have been found as yet. there are countless incidents like this with hundreds of tcs still still missing from 63/64.

what goes around comes around. it is wrong for people to take revenge on innocent civilians because of their nationality but people have done and will do in the future too.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Alectryon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:15 pm

zan wrote:20 July 1974: Greek militants raid the Alaminos village in Nicosia and machine-gun to death 14 hand-tied people, most of whom are children and elderly.
cyprus21136-10.html?hilit=Alaminos#p382503


It looks like this statement originated from a well-known Armenian Genocide denial website.
http://www.tallarmeniantale.com/cyprus.htm

Unless a TC can show otherwise, it appears the Alaminos village victims were men, not children or elderly.
http://news.pseka.net/index.php?module=article&id=7141
Alectryon
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Paphitis » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:46 am

Nikitas wrote:BBC footage from the time shows the behavior of "NATOs finest" as soon as they landed in Cyprus. That the 15 of Alaminos are treated as some kind of special case, while ignoring the ferocity of what was going on at the northern part at the same time, is BS. Gangs of TC "fighters" were at the heels of the advancing 39th Division of the Turkish army and were busy executing whoever they did not like. A whole family in Palekythro was wiped out soon after the army moved in because a teenage TC "fighter" wanted their milk cows.

How people behave when they have absolute power is revealing. GCs restricted TCs in enclaves. TCs once they got the upper hand revealed a whole new side of themselves. Denktash himself stated clearly that the 1600 missing GCs were executed by TC "fighters" after capture.

Fate has rewarded them with a big enclave in the north, where they jostle with imported liberators from Antalya and lament the loss of their identity.


These are the reports I have as well. Most of the murders and crimes were committed by Turkish Cypriots as opposed to the real Turkish Military.

My Father in Law survived only because he was captured by the Turkish Military and was imprisoned in Adana. If he was captured by TCs, then its doubtful that this would happen.

Denktash admitted it.

I am not saying the Turkish Military didn't commit crimes. They did, but it largely depended on where you were captured, what you were doing at the time and perhaps some other factors too. But if you got captured by any of the TC bandits, you were basically a dead man.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Nikitas » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:12 am

A very close friend who was in the NG serving his term in 1974 was captured in Kythrea. Along with the soldiers they herded some civilians and were marching them towards Kyrenia. My friend, who is a serious and respected professional man, reports that one old lady kept complaining about a twisted ankle and wanted a doctor. She was taken into a nearby field and shot by a Turkish soldier.

When they arrived in Kyrenia they were made to sit on the ground, hands tied behind their backs and TC "fighters" were let loose on them. Everyone was injured, but the Red Cross people showed up and took names and service numbers so they became officially prisoners of war at that point. Denktash told us in no uncertain terms what happened to those that were not listed by the RC. The numbers are revealing, 1603 GCs missing in 1974, 600 TC missing since 1963 and 1974 inclusive. And according to Bulent Ecevit 4500 GCs were killed in Attila II. Some "peace operation", hey!
Nikitas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Lordo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:23 am

i wonder what would have happened if the terggish soldiers being parachuted onto cyprus were not shot and killed.

ecevit said we have a peace operation. let us hope the griik sheepriots do not fire at us and we bring peace to the island without firing a single bullet.

you made your choices.

unfortunately my cousin did not live to tell us how he was killed by your thugs in 64.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Paphitis » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:17 am

Nikitas wrote:A very close friend who was in the NG serving his term in 1974 was captured in Kythrea. Along with the soldiers they herded some civilians and were marching them towards Kyrenia. My friend, who is a serious and respected professional man, reports that one old lady kept complaining about a twisted ankle and wanted a doctor. She was taken into a nearby field and shot by a Turkish soldier.

When they arrived in Kyrenia they were made to sit on the ground, hands tied behind their backs and TC "fighters" were let loose on them. Everyone was injured, but the Red Cross people showed up and took names and service numbers so they became officially prisoners of war at that point. Denktash told us in no uncertain terms what happened to those that were not listed by the RC. The numbers are revealing, 1603 GCs missing in 1974, 600 TC missing since 1963 and 1974 inclusive. And according to Bulent Ecevit 4500 GCs were killed in Attila II. Some "peace operation", hey!


This is where my Father in Law was captured. There were no beatings at this point by the Turkish Military and they had suffered heavy losses here.

They were taken to Kyrenia by army truck and straight to the Harbour, blindfolded. Then loaded on the very same ships that were bringing in Turkish Troops and supplies and taken to the Navy Port in South Turkey where the invasion began. From there into trucks and straight to Adana Prison.

In the prison, the interrogations and torture began. This was more about getting information but the treatment was brutal at times until things settled down.

What was very interesting was the level of intelligence the Turkish Military had on certain individuals. When being interrogated, they knew everything about my Father in Law. This indicates the possibility that Turkey had people on the ground from years before, or TC informants.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Jerry » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:34 am

Lordo wrote:i wonder what would have happened if the terggish soldiers being parachuted onto cyprus were not shot and killed.

ecevit said we have a peace operation. let us hope the griik sheepriots do not fire at us and we bring peace to the island without firing a single bullet.

you made your choices.

unfortunately my cousin did not live to tell us how he was killed by your thugs in 64.


Idiot, they were dropping bombs and shells before the first Turkish soldier set foot on the island, so much for your so-called peace operation!
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Lordo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:19 pm

they even landed on the beaches without firing any shells. it is only when they were fired upon that the ships pulled back and opened fire. the same with war planes, they landed and only started bombing when they were being fired at. this propaganda the groc has put out ait worth spit.

i would have though with all the news around the world you would break away from the old myths but allas no such luck. you forgot to mention the fact that terggish soldier were drugged so as not to be afraid when they were fired upon.

ffs.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Jerry » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Lordo wrote:they even landed on the beaches without firing any shells. it is only when they were fired upon that the ships pulled back and opened fire. the same with war planes, they landed and only started bombing when they were being fired at. this propaganda the groc has put out ait worth spit.

i would have though with all the news around the world you would break away from the old myths but allas no such luck. you forgot to mention the fact that terggish soldier were drugged so as not to be afraid when they were fired upon.

ffs.


Don't take my word for it idiot read what a Turkish reporter wrote in his book "30 Hot Days"


http://www.cyprus-conflict.net/30%20Hot%20Days.html

There is a Turkish interpretation of the events of the summer of 1974 that is, as one would expect, quite different from the dominant Greek and Greek Cypriot view. In this seminal work, Turkish journalist Mehmet Ali Birand -- widely considered to be one of the best and fairest reporters in Turkey -- recounts the events of that July and August, leading up to the second and more decisive military intervention of August 14. This account is particularly useful for its reporting on Ankara=s decision making. It is excerpted from his 1985 book, 30 Hot Days.


30 Hot Days, continued

Saturday, July 20th 1974

THE OPERATION

The operation begins.

As jets from their Adana base dropped their bombs on selected targets in the Pentadactylos mountains and in some of the suburbs of Nicosia, the landing craft were trying to make up for lost time. Excitedly spotting the Air Force planes, the helicopters and troop transports carrying parachute commandos, they tried to travel ever faster. It was already 06.30 and by this time the first of them should have been lowering its ramp. Suddenly, just as in a cinema show, a gunboat shot away at high speed towards the shore. It contained 30 NCOs, led by a very young captain, all equipped with diving suits and oxygen cylinders. Their job was to explore the sea bed for mines and any other obstructions that might have been left behind by the thoughtful Greeks. With hearts beating wildly, the frogmen moved steadily towards the shore and then swam back to the pick-up point to report jubilantly that they had encountered no obstacles. This operation lasted 60 minutes and left the men waiting in the landing craft with no doubts that the landing would definitely take place this time. As the frogmen were being picked up, some machine-gun fire was heard followed by a burst of shellfire from the Cakmak. War had begun to show its feverish face. As firing from the Turkish destroyer Cakmak ceased, the ships moved in and, at 8.30, men of the 6th Marine Regiment began jumping onto the hot sand. These were followed by still more marines to the accompaniment of sporadic machine-gun fire, excited orders from the officers and the intermittent belching of fire from the warships. This marked the official landing of Turkish troops in Cyprus....
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Jerry » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:06 pm

Cat got your tongue Lordo?

Given up on this one?

Turkish sourced propaganda not convincing?
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests