The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Alectryon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:36 pm

zan wrote:20 July 1974: Greek militants raid the Alaminos village in Nicosia and machine-gun to death 14 hand-tied people, most of whom are children and elderly.
cyprus21136-10.html?hilit=Alaminos#p382503


BigOz wrote:On July 28, 1974 the New York Times reported that 14 Turkish-Cypriot men had been shot in Alaminos.
cyprus41046.html?hilit=Alaminos#p767074


BirKibrisli wrote:Remains of 13 martyrs from the village of Alaminos who have been remembered on the 20th of July every year as Martyrs of Alaminos since 1974, were buried today with a military funeral ceremony at the Lefkosa Cemetery.

They were among 15 men who were taken prisoners and killed by Greek Cypriots in the village of Alaminos in Larnaca 33 years ago.

cyprus28084-100.html?hilit=Alaminos#p536129



What exactly happened in Alaminos in July 1974 ? Are the "martyrs" men or mostly children and elderly ?
Alectryon
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Jerry » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Alectryon wrote:
zan wrote:20 July 1974: Greek militants raid the Alaminos village in Nicosia and machine-gun to death 14 hand-tied people, most of whom are children and elderly.
cyprus21136-10.html?hilit=Alaminos#p382503


BigOz wrote:On July 28, 1974 the New York Times reported that 14 Turkish-Cypriot men had been shot in Alaminos.
cyprus41046.html?hilit=Alaminos#p767074


BirKibrisli wrote:Remains of 13 martyrs from the village of Alaminos who have been remembered on the 20th of July every year as Martyrs of Alaminos since 1974, were buried today with a military funeral ceremony at the Lefkosa Cemetery.

They were among 15 men who were taken prisoners and killed by Greek Cypriots in the village of Alaminos in Larnaca 33 years ago.

cyprus28084-100.html?hilit=Alaminos#p536129



What exactly happened in Alaminos in July 1974 ? Are the "martyrs" men or mostly children and elderly ?


What's your point exactly, do you honestly believe that the invading Turkish forces didn't commit atrocities on July 20th 1974?
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Alectryon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Jerry wrote:What's your point exactly, do you honestly believe that the invading Turkish forces didn't commit atrocities on July 20th 1974?


In no way, shape or form do I imply that Turkish forces didn't commit atrocities on July 20th 1974!

MrH claims that the "Second Operation" was prompted by the discovery of mass graves of TC civilians. See here.

Searching the forum for evidence of his claim, I came across a (apparently) contradictory statement, I created a thread about it and ask posters to tell me what they know about the events in Alaminos July 1974. That bother you ?
Alectryon
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Oceanside50 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Alectryon wrote:
Jerry wrote:What's your point exactly, do you honestly believe that the invading Turkish forces didn't commit atrocities on July 20th 1974?


In no way, shape or form do I imply that Turkish forces didn't commit atrocities on July 20th 1974!

MrH claims that the "Second Operation" was prompted by the discovery of mass graves of TC civilians. See here.

Searching the forum for evidence of his claim, I came across a (apparently) contradictory statement, I created a thread about it and ask posters to tell me what they know about the events in Alaminos July 1974. That bother you ?


The second invasion was caused by the Turk army not being able to make any headway in Kyrenia... That's a fact. If you wanted to save tc why invade an area of cyprus where the Tc numbers were negligible and almost nonexistent?.. Another fact!
Oceanside50
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2062
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Jerry » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:14 pm

Oceanside50 wrote:
Alectryon wrote:
Jerry wrote:What's your point exactly, do you honestly believe that the invading Turkish forces didn't commit atrocities on July 20th 1974?


In no way, shape or form do I imply that Turkish forces didn't commit atrocities on July 20th 1974!

MrH claims that the "Second Operation" was prompted by the discovery of mass graves of TC civilians. See here.

Searching the forum for evidence of his claim, I came across a (apparently) contradictory statement, I created a thread about it and ask posters to tell me what they know about the events in Alaminos July 1974. That bother you ?


The second invasion was caused by the Turk army not being able to make any headway in Kyrenia... That's a fact. If you wanted to save tc why invade an area of cyprus where the Tc numbers were negligible and almost nonexistent?.. Another fact!


If I recall events from 1974 correctly the Turks were continuously unloading trucks, tanks and artillery from 20th July, it seemed they intended to conquer part of Cyprus from day one.
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby repulsewarrior » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:40 pm

welcome, Alectryon.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Lordo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:53 pm

it was a double bluff. the terggs knew that it was the least defended place and it was easier to defend once taken.

the way the tcs were scattered all over cyprus, it makes no difference where they invaded, most of the tcs were at the mercy of the gcs. what saved them was the consequences of what may happen if they were killed. naturally for some tcs it did not work and they were murdered. the main thing is it can never happen again. tcs are no longer scattered and enclaved all over cyprus.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby repulsewarrior » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:09 pm

...so what you are saying is that the "ethnic cleansing" was an executed plan by the Turkish Army; those "Turkish" were moved in, those not "Turkish" were moved out.

And what you are implying is that Turkey betrayed Cyprus, not the "Greeks", she had a 'deal' with the coupists who should have expected this attack otherwise.

...as for your ''never can happen again", i dare you to fly the Flag of Cyprus in the occupied north, you will find out why it is called "occupied"; if you deny that there are Turkish Cypriots who identify themselves as Cypriots, you are mistaken. Unlike the "Turks" and the "Greeks", they represent the other half if you will (whether Greek or Turk), who were (and who still are) victimised by these notions.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Lordo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:37 am

what i said was very clear and bears no resemblance to what you said.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Alaminos massacre 20th July 1974

Postby Nikitas » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:59 pm

BBC footage from the time shows the behavior of "NATOs finest" as soon as they landed in Cyprus. That the 15 of Alaminos are treated as some kind of special case, while ignoring the ferocity of what was going on at the northern part at the same time, is BS. Gangs of TC "fighters" were at the heels of the advancing 39th Division of the Turkish army and were busy executing whoever they did not like. A whole family in Palekythro was wiped out soon after the army moved in because a teenage TC "fighter" wanted their milk cows.

How people behave when they have absolute power is revealing. GCs restricted TCs in enclaves. TCs once they got the upper hand revealed a whole new side of themselves. Denktash himself stated clearly that the 1600 missing GCs were executed by TC "fighters" after capture.

Fate has rewarded them with a big enclave in the north, where they jostle with imported liberators from Antalya and lament the loss of their identity.
Nikitas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:49 pm

Next

Return to Cyprus Problem

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests