The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Re: remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

Postby Nikitas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:14 am

You will find that most of the dead are police officers who resisted the coup.

As for this: "they should use the latin letters everybody else is using" since when have you gotten on the cultural imperialism band wagon. Have you asked the users of the Cyrillic, Chinese and Arabic alphabets if they agree?
Nikitas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

Postby Lordo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:44 am

it makes no difference what they were, it is who they were that matters. when it comes to alphabet, the arabs and the chinese are not in the eu. for such a small population to insist on your alphabet when all around you uses latin characters is beyond stupidity.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

Postby Nikitas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:01 am

You need to look at the EU nations list again. The users of non latin alphabets include Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus, while Cyrillic characters are found in most slavic Eu member nations alphabets. There are sounds that cannot be rendered by the Latin alphabet, especially in slavic languages. It is doubtful that a German or Scandinavian ummlauted vowel can be considered Latin.

Out of the 24 letters most are common with Latin letters, the uncommon ones are known to most through elemenetary physics and chemistry lessons, they are in most formulae taught in early secondary school.

Maybe your problem is not linguistic?
Nikitas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

Postby Lordo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:15 am

yes well put the three together and you will not get half of what i call a nation.

i am not suggesting changing those the science lessons, i dont want a revolution just evolution. i studied sciences at school and had no problems with the letters despite the fact that i refused to learn the greek alphabet.

if terggy can see the sense of changing it surely you can............... or perhaps not. thats a step to far.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

Postby repulsewarrior » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:39 am

"you" changed "we" must change, is that it?
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

Postby Get Real! » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:35 am

Nikitas wrote:You need to look at the EU nations list again. The users of non latin alphabets include Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus, while Cyrillic characters are found in most slavic Eu member nations alphabets. There are sounds that cannot be rendered by the Latin alphabet, especially in slavic languages. It is doubtful that a German or Scandinavian ummlauted vowel can be considered Latin.

Out of the 24 letters most are common with Latin letters, the uncommon ones are known to most through elemenetary physics and chemistry lessons, they are in most formulae taught in early secondary school.

:shock: Unknown word alert! :?

Had to look it up to find that it’s only spelt with one “m”! :?

PS: I appreciate your posts Nikitas. :)
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40444
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Lordo wrote:and we have people here telling us that everybody knew who these people were. you people are just beyond belief.


What is your problem? You are totally confused by what the article is reporting. Admittedly, your source is a rag.

rag wrote:He added that the exhumation and identification procedure would take several weeks.


The bodies have just been found and they will soon be identified. Then they can tick them off the list of missing people that the families have helped compile.

You seem to think that the bodies will have their names written on them, or something. How can everybody know the answer instantly?

The Turks create chaos - we have to restore order.
Last edited by GreekIslandGirl on Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

Postby B25 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:41 pm

Lordo wrote:it makes no difference what they were, it is who they were that matters. when it comes to alphabet, the arabs and the chinese are not in the eu. for such a small population to insist on your alphabet when all around you uses latin characters is beyond stupidity.

It's not enough you changed all our place names, destroyed our churches and cemetaries, destroyed our culture, niw you are demanding we change our language and alphabet.

Then you wonder why people like me get angry, here Musti, suck on this, you see what shit we have to put up with?

Go to hell the lot of you.
User avatar
B25
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6078
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Location: ** Classified **

Re: remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

Postby Lordo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:03 pm

B25 wrote:
Lordo wrote:it makes no difference what they were, it is who they were that matters. when it comes to alphabet, the arabs and the chinese are not in the eu. for such a small population to insist on your alphabet when all around you uses latin characters is beyond stupidity.

It's not enough you changed all our place names, destroyed our churches and cemetaries, destroyed our culture, niw you are demanding we change our language and alphabet.

Then you wonder why people like me get angry, here Musti, suck on this, you see what shit we have to put up with?

Go to hell the lot of you.

it is your choice my friend remain backwards if you wish.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: remains of 1974 coup victims exhumed

Postby umit07 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:21 pm

Get Real! wrote:
Nikitas wrote:You need to look at the EU nations list again. The users of non latin alphabets include Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus, while Cyrillic characters are found in most slavic Eu member nations alphabets. There are sounds that cannot be rendered by the Latin alphabet, especially in slavic languages. It is doubtful that a German or Scandinavian ummlauted vowel can be considered Latin.

Out of the 24 letters most are common with Latin letters, the uncommon ones are known to most through elemenetary physics and chemistry lessons, they are in most formulae taught in early secondary school.

:shock: Unknown word alert! :?

Had to look it up to find that it’s only spelt with one “m”! :?

PS: I appreciate your posts Nikitas. :)


I second this sentiment. I commend his written English and succinct writing style.Thoroughly enjoy reading your posts Nikitas.
User avatar
umit07
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests