The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Congratulations Cameron!

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Congratulations Cameron!

Postby Paphitis » Fri May 08, 2015 3:06 am

I make no secret of the fact that I like him. Can't quite put my finger on it, but he just sounds a little more sensible, and credible than the alternative.

So Congrats to the UK and Cameron. :D

Does this mean there will be a vote on the EU now? 8)

It's about time countries like UK tell the EU to shove it!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Congratulations Cameron!

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri May 08, 2015 5:49 am

Almost every Australian I have ever spoken to tells me that the reason Australia is better than the UK is that Australia is an egalitarian classless place where everyone can make their mark based on their own efforts and abilities, while the UK is stifled by its entrenched class society. I think there is some justification in these claims. You do realise that a victory for Cameron et. al., with their Eton and Oxford backgrounds and origins from the very top of the English upper class, represents a further entrenchment of the stifling archaic British class system which, in the 1970's and 1980's, appeared to be under challenge. Is this really what you wish for the UK?

I must admit that I listened to a lengthy interview with Cameron on the BBC's Today radio programme yesterday, and he was impressive. It made me wish that Labour had somebody of the same calibre at the top, so in one way I know what you mean.

At the moment, the only thought to come to mind is 'Thank you Scotland!' (spoken with bitter irony).
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Congratulations Cameron!

Postby Paphitis » Fri May 08, 2015 6:10 am

Tim Drayton wrote:Almost every Australian I have ever spoken to tells me that the reason Australia is better than the UK is that Australia is an egalitarian classless place where everyone can make their mark based on their own efforts and abilities, while the UK is stifled by its entrenched class society. I think there is some justification in these claims. You do realise that a victory for Cameron et. al., with their Eton and Oxford backgrounds and origins from the very top of the English upper class, represents a further entrenchment of the stifling archaic British class system which, in the 1970's and 1980's, appeared to be under challenge. Is this really what you wish for the UK?

I must admit that I listened to a lengthy interview with Cameron on the BBC's Today radio programme yesterday, and he was impressive. It made me wish that Labour had somebody of the same calibre at the top, so in one way I know what you mean.

At the moment, the only thought to come to mind is 'Thank you Scotland!' (spoken with bitter irony).


Yes that is true about Australia.

No matter which party is in power, we don't seem to have a fully entrenched class system and we hope to keep it that way. Even our so called "conservatives" are not really conservative but more like neo liberals - with a low tax, small Government platform that has as its goal a non intrusive Government to people interface.

Yes, I like Cameron because he is impressive. Britain's class system is not about to be torn down anytime soon I would imagine, and it is probably entrenched from the Aristocracy and through the elitist university system (Oxford, Cambridge and so forth) as well as a myriad of other organisations and institutions. In the end, the Conservatives are probably the party these Aristocracies would support.

In reality, people should vote for the person they believe has the better credentials and better policies and not allow themselves to be boxed in or not to vote for a party because it is in the wrong ideological spectrum or considered to be "conservative". In my opinion, Cameron appears to be the person with the better credentials and now has the track record to lead Britain with great outcomes.

I have always been a swinging voter myself. Lately however, more Liberal than Labor but that is easily explained because on paper, this conservative side of politics produced the best Australian Administration in history (Howard, Costello, Downer, Abbott and co). Everyone had 14 consecutive tax cuts, and the country was going from strength to strength). BTW, all tax brackets got the cuts and the poor got the bigger cuts too. In fact our parties have a "right" faction and a "left" faction. Howard, and Abbott were right, and Costello and Downer from the left.

You will notice too that the Europe has a refugee crisis. This was stopped in Australia a long time ago and now the Europeans want to copy Australia whereas before they were condemning us. This crisis will be the EU's downfall, because countries like Britain are paying the heaviest price for it and that should pave the way for Britain to declare its sovereignty from the EU bullies/bastards. This will be the beginning of the end for these monstrous bureaucratic elites who have destroyed entire countries which can't stand on their feet at the moment and really needed some support and got little.

I fully support Britain breaking free from its class system - and also abolishing the Monarchy! Wouldn't that be interesting if Britain did that before Australia did?
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Congratulations Cameron!

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri May 08, 2015 6:32 am

Paphitis wrote:... - and also abolishing the Monarchy! Wouldn't that be interesting if Britain did that before Australia did?


No, that it is one thing I hope and expect Australia to do first. A few years ago some people were touting the name of Rolf Harris as potential first president - how things change!
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Congratulations Cameron!

Postby Paphitis » Fri May 08, 2015 6:34 am

Tim Drayton wrote:
Paphitis wrote:... - and also abolishing the Monarchy! Wouldn't that be interesting if Britain did that before Australia did?


No, that it is one thing I hope and expect Australia to do first. A few years ago some people were touting the name of Rolf Harris as potential first president - how things change!


Australia will do this first 100% but unfortunately it is going to take a bit of time.

But we have a core nucleus of Republican MPs just waiting for the opportunity - Malcolm Turnbull in particular.

I predict that one day in the future, they will split off and create a nationalistic Republican Party - similar to SNP in Scotland.
Last edited by Paphitis on Fri May 08, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Congratulations Cameron!

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri May 08, 2015 6:37 am

The really interesting thing is Scotland. The SNP for years and years has said that if it wins the majority of seats in Scotland, it will have won a mandate for independence, and I have heard experts in constitutional law arguing that they would have a valid claim. It is bizarre, given that the recent referendum rejected independence, if not with a decisive majority, but Scottish independence may now be a real possibility.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Congratulations Cameron!

Postby Paphitis » Fri May 08, 2015 6:42 am

Tim Drayton wrote:The really interesting thing is Scotland. The SNP for years and years has said that if it wins the majority of seats in Scotland, it will have won a mandate for independence, and I have heard experts in constitutional law arguing that they would have a valid claim. It is bizarre, given that the recent referendum rejected independence, if not with a decisive majority, but Scottish independence may now be a real possibility.


Well the biggest victor in the UK Elections is the SNP - unbelievable result for them.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Congratulations Cameron!

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri May 08, 2015 6:57 am

Paphitis wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:The really interesting thing is Scotland. The SNP for years and years has said that if it wins the majority of seats in Scotland, it will have won a mandate for independence, and I have heard experts in constitutional law arguing that they would have a valid claim. It is bizarre, given that the recent referendum rejected independence, if not with a decisive majority, but Scottish independence may now be a real possibility.


Well the biggest victor in the UK Elections is the SNP - unbelievable result for them.


I am not Scottish, but I spent some of my childhood and all of my youth there, and the change for me is incomprehensible. Places like Glasgow and the rest of 'red' Clydeside or south Fife not voting Labour. It is incomprehensible. It is perhaps telling that the toxic right-wing tabloid the Sun was urging its readers to vote Conservative in its main edition, but SNP in its Scottish edition. The British ruling class did not wish to see a left-wing Labour party form a majority government, and it saw that the best strategy to follow was to do all in its power to support the swing from Labour to the SNP. I am curious as to whether there is a big drop in the Tory vote, too, which may suggest that a lot of Conservative supporters voted tactically to keep Labour out of government nationally. This swing is too big to explain with such a simple conspiracy theory, of course, but I think it may be a factor.

I think we are about to see the unravelling of the UK as we know it. By the way, the SNP have always said they want an independent Scotland but under the present queen! If at least they were republican, they would win more sympathy from me.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Congratulations Cameron!

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri May 08, 2015 7:33 am

Another factor seems to be that, with the SNP leading in the polls, they could then scare the electorate in the rest of the country with the prospect of a Labour party being kept in power, and thus dominated by, the nationalists. I agree that this was a scary prospect, and the pundits are already suggesting that this factor made a big contribution towards Labour's below par performance.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Congratulations Cameron!

Postby Paphitis » Fri May 08, 2015 7:37 am

Tim Drayton wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:The really interesting thing is Scotland. The SNP for years and years has said that if it wins the majority of seats in Scotland, it will have won a mandate for independence, and I have heard experts in constitutional law arguing that they would have a valid claim. It is bizarre, given that the recent referendum rejected independence, if not with a decisive majority, but Scottish independence may now be a real possibility.


Well the biggest victor in the UK Elections is the SNP - unbelievable result for them.


I am not Scottish, but I spent some of my childhood and all of my youth there, and the change for me is incomprehensible. Places like Glasgow and the rest of 'red' Clydeside or south Fife not voting Labour. It is incomprehensible. It is perhaps telling that the toxic right-wing tabloid the Sun was urging its readers to vote Conservative in its main edition, but SNP in its Scottish edition. The British ruling class did not wish to see a left-wing Labour party form a majority government, and it saw that the best strategy to follow was to do all in its power to support the swing from Labour to the SNP. I am curious as to whether there is a big drop in the Tory vote, too, which may suggest that a lot of Conservative supporters voted tactically to keep Labour out of government nationally. This swing is too big to explain with such a simple conspiracy theory, of course, but I think it may be a factor.

I think we are about to see the unravelling of the UK as we know it. By the way, the SNP have always said they want an independent Scotland but under the present queen! If at least they were republican, they would win more sympathy from me.


Is it a foregone conclusion that the SNP will go into coalition with Cameron?

In any case, people need to view editorials and opinion pieces with a grain of salt and consider the source (which might be Murdoch) before placing too much credence into it.

Murdoch will influence to where his interests lie. It could be over media ownership or whatever. He actually backed the Howard Administration right up to the point they introduced rules and regulations over media ownership forbidding him to own more than a certain percentage. True story.

That got Gillard in which ended up being the biggest disaster ever.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Next

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests