The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Anything related to the Internet, computers and technology in general.

Re: Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Postby Get Real! » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:48 pm

erolz66 wrote:When my processor failed it was 7 months old and I also needed overclockers to test the MB for me as well as I could not determine if it was the cpu or the mb. That is why I had to send them to overclockers at my expense. If the cpu had been dead when it was originally shipped to me I think overclockers would have paid to have it shipped back to them.

:? In all my years in the industry and we're talking fixing hundreds and hundreds of PCs, servers and laptops, I recall just ONE case of a faulty processor that belonged to an IBM workstation at the turn of the millennium!
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40444
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Postby Sotos » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Get Real! wrote:
erolz66 wrote:When my processor failed it was 7 months old and I also needed overclockers to test the MB for me as well as I could not determine if it was the cpu or the mb. That is why I had to send them to overclockers at my expense. If the cpu had been dead when it was originally shipped to me I think overclockers would have paid to have it shipped back to them.

:? In all my years in the industry and we're talking fixing hundreds and hundreds of PCs, servers and laptops, I recall just ONE case of a faulty processor that belonged to an IBM workstation at the turn of the millennium!


Never had an issue with a CPU either even though I overclock most of them. What seems to break often are mechanical hard drives, CD/DVD Drives and power supplies (and batteries in laptops).
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10663
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Postby Sotos » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:00 pm

-Choose Amazon as a suppler and ignore the others


I wouldn't say to ignore them. Some Amazon marketplace stores are good... check their ratings. Other things equal choose to buy from Amazon directly but sometimes the marketplace will have products that Amazon does not sell directly or they can have much cheaper prices (but note that some marketplace stores charge much higher shipping). The decision will depend on the final price difference and the type of product.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10663
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Postby Get Real! » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:07 pm

Sotos wrote:
Get Real! wrote:
erolz66 wrote:When my processor failed it was 7 months old and I also needed overclockers to test the MB for me as well as I could not determine if it was the cpu or the mb. That is why I had to send them to overclockers at my expense. If the cpu had been dead when it was originally shipped to me I think overclockers would have paid to have it shipped back to them.

:? In all my years in the industry and we're talking fixing hundreds and hundreds of PCs, servers and laptops, I recall just ONE case of a faulty processor that belonged to an IBM workstation at the turn of the millennium!


Never had an issue with a CPU either even though I overclock most of them. What seems to break often are mechanical hard drives, CD/DVD Drives and power supplies (and batteries in laptops).

Yeah, CPU manufacturers probably have the best QC procedures on the planet.

For PCs I would have to place junk motherboards first followed closely by junk memory sticks and then junk P/Ss.

With laptops it’s the heat spreaders followed by batteries. In the past screen inverters were common to need replacement (making the display go snow white) but with changes in display technology they’re now gone.

Going further back in the 80s and 90s for a laugh, it was always the I/O card! (PCs) <-- :lol:

And while I'm here, people should try this Cypriot online company too because I did on two occasions and was very pleased with their next day delivery anywhere in Cyprus...

http://www.cyofficesupplies.com/
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40444
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Postby Sotos » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:03 pm

With laptops it’s the heat spreaders


Isn't that just a piece of metal... like a heat sink?

For PCs I would have to place junk motherboards first followed closely by junk memory sticks and then junk P/Ss.


Never had an issue with motherboards or memory sticks (maybe once with a memory stick) ... the PS that went bad were indeed not of the best brands (I didn't always appreciate the importance of a good PS) .. but the worst offenders were HD Drives ... and those were all top brand names. Thankfully didn't have a drive fail for a long time... and none of my SSDs failed either.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10663
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Postby Get Real! » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:11 pm

Sotos wrote:
With laptops it’s the heat spreaders


Isn't that just a piece of metal... like a heat sink?


It’s the heatsink + fan + sensor assembly that comes in one piece like these…

http://www.zkarlo.com/blog/wp-content/u ... 12/Fan.jpg

http://triumphtechnoindia.com/wp-conten ... sink-1.JPG
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40444
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Postby Get Real! » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:15 pm

Sotos wrote:Never had an issue with motherboards or memory sticks

That's most likely because you're buying good quality stuff for yourself but had you been in a workshop most of the PCs that come in for repairs are cheepos with junk parts.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40444
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Postby erolz66 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:00 pm

It is the first time I have had a cpu fail on me as well and I have been around the block a bit. It does seem to have been a plain cpu failure. I have the new cpu in the same machine with all the same components - waterblock cooler, mem, gpu, power supply, mb etc etc and everything is fine again. Then again the last one was fine for 7 months as well.
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Postby koko » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:23 pm

So i decided to build this :
MSI B150M PRO-DH LGA1151
CORSAIR DDR4 2133MHz 2x4GB CL13 LPX Black 1.20V
i5-6500 3.2GHz 6MB LGA1151 BOX
HDD TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 32MB SATA3
Cooler Master N200
EVGA 500W 80 PLUS 100-W1-0500-KR

The newst staff(Skylake procesoor +newst socket 1151+DDR 4 memory) which is very easy upgradable because of the new socket.
All this will cost me around 500 euro(prices by Amazon without shipping costs).
If we can make a leaderboard of the PC componets(from riskest to safer)
1)HDD(the part that typically makes problem more often)
2)Motherboard
3)Videocard
4)PSU(big difference between some chinces "brand" and good brand)
5)RAM
6)Processor
7)Case
For this reason,i will order HDD and motherborad(if i find here) and videocard(when i decide to take one) from Cyprus.
The case also i will order from Cyprus too,because it is heavy,even that 5 kg is not so big.
The other staff-PSU,RAM,Processor-from Amazon
When you send item to overclockers-is it still expensive the shipping costs ?
koko
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Re: Buying from Amazon and the warranty

Postby Get Real! » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:36 pm

koko wrote:So i decided to build this :
MSI B150M PRO-DH LGA1151
CORSAIR DDR4 2133MHz 2x4GB CL13 LPX Black 1.20V
i5-6500 3.2GHz 6MB LGA1151 BOX
HDD TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 32MB SATA3
Cooler Master N200
EVGA 500W 80 PLUS 100-W1-0500-KR

I know you’re on a budget but MSI motherboards are pretty crappy and the Corsair memory isn't the best either.

I can guarantee you that the MSI will fail before everything else! I give it 1.5 to 2.5 years. :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40444
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

PreviousNext

Return to Internet, Computers and Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests