The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Australian jets diverted from Syria

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Australian jets diverted from Syria

Postby boomerang » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:27 am

...as Russia's entry complicates mission


Australian jets diverted from Syria as Russia's entry complicates mission

Operations chief David Johnston says pause because RAAF resources were not needed but admits Russian intervention has ‘increased complexity’

Shalailah Medhora

Wednesday 7 October 2015 13.42 AEDT Last modified on Wednesday 7 October 2015 14.13 AEDT
Australia has not conducted airstrikes in Syria since last Wednesday as the chief of joint operations, V-adm David Johnston, conceded that Russia’s involvement in the region has added a level of complexity to the deadly conflict.

Johnston said in Canberra on Wednesday that Australian military resources were not needed in Syria, and that pauses in airstrikes were not because of operational restrictions.

Malcolm Turnbull says transition from Assad is the only option for Syria

“We continue to have the ability to fly in Syria when the tactical circumstances require it,” Johnston said.

“Our tasking depends on the priorities of the day that come out of the air operations centre. There is no change in our availability to conduct air operations in Syria,” he explained. “Tactically our focus has been elsewhere.”

Russia began airstrikes in Russia last Wednesday to shore up the leadership of its ally the Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad.

The US and Russia have discussed how the airstrikes would tie in with coalition forces’ goal of halting the advance of extremist group Isis, also known as Daesh.

Canberra is seeking a reassurance that Russian forces will not inhibit Australia’s air mission in Syria, and not deliberately target coalition forces. No such guarantees have been offered.

“It is increasingly a complex area in Syria, and I think the entry of Russian forces increases that complexity further,” Johnston said. “It would be ideal if it was complementary, and working to the same objectives that the coalition are working to.”

When pushed by reporters on whether Russia’s mission as it stood was complementary, Johnston said: “That’s still to be determined.

“We’re not yet sure. Where it’s complementary and it’s about fighting Daesh, then there’s a clear complementarity of effect there. Beyond that it becomes much more complex if the missions are different.”

Russian claims that its military was working against Isis, rather than striking anti-Assad forces, were yet to be verified, Johnston said.

Australia has conducted nine airstrikes on two targets since joining the air campaign in September.

Another 434 missions have taken place over Iraq in the year since Australia has been involved in an air campaign over the country.

The vice admiral was adamant that no civilians were killed by Australian bombs.

“Our assessment is none from our airstrikes. There has been a significant amount of weaponry delivered,” Johnston said. “Every one of those missions that involved weapons delivery is analysed and we’re very confident in the outcome.”

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/07/australian-airstrikes-in-syria-on-hold-as-russias-entry-complicates-mission



The key difference, and I think this is something Julie Bishop has picked up on, is that Syria has long been a client state of the Soviet Union, going back generations. Bashar al-Assad invited that Russians in. Nobody invited us in, so there's a real legitimacy deficit for Australia's and the west's actions against Assad. This enormously complicates our efforts there.


http://www.vice.com/read/we-asked-an-expert-why-australia-has-stopped-bombing-syria

situation so far:- ...everyone is awaiting russian instructions on when and where and on allowed or not allowed... :lol:
User avatar
boomerang
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:56 am

Re: Australian jets diverted from Syria

Postby Get Real! » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:47 am

boomerang wrote:situation so far:- ...everyone is awaiting russian instructions on when and where and on allowed or not allowed... :lol:

:shock: Err, how are we gonna break the news to Paphitis? I mean he’s already burst 4-5 major organs and in the emergency ward! :?

All he’s got left is a pea floating about in the yellow fluid under his cranium... :(
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40506
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Australian jets diverted from Syria

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:52 am

It's OK, our Super Hornets are still in the UAE and they might as well fly missions into Iraq as has always been the case.

It makes no difference. The fact is, Russia's involvement has complicated matters and its a dog's breakfast now. We all know this, and there is no way they will defeat the rebels. After 2 years of pounding ISIL, we always knew that Air Power is ineffective against a bunkered down enemy moving in small numbers and we were never prepared to send troops in. Russia is gonna have to do that, and they are gonna be in a world of hurt!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Australian jets diverted from Syria

Postby boomerang » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:19 am

Paphitis wrote:It's OK, our Super Hornets are still in the UAE and they might as well fly missions into Iraq as has always been the case.

It makes no difference. The fact is, Russia's involvement has complicated matters and its a dog's breakfast now. We all know this, and there is no way they will defeat the rebels. After 2 years of pounding ISIL, we always knew that Air Power is ineffective against a bunkered down enemy moving in small numbers and we were never prepared to send troops in. Russia is gonna have to do that, and they are gonna be in a world of hurt!


a lot of speculation here with no evidence...who said anything about defeat?...its all about controlling your interests...

my two cents on how is the Syria war is gonna pan out...
scenario 1
the Russians are going to secure and fortify as mush as possible of Syrian territory..,then they will do the same in Iraq...the will push the head choppers into the center and it will be free for all..
scenario 2
push all the head choppers into turkey and mess turkey up...

this is what we are looking at so far...
User avatar
boomerang
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:56 am

Re: Australian jets diverted from Syria

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:23 am

boomerang wrote:
Paphitis wrote:It's OK, our Super Hornets are still in the UAE and they might as well fly missions into Iraq as has always been the case.

It makes no difference. The fact is, Russia's involvement has complicated matters and its a dog's breakfast now. We all know this, and there is no way they will defeat the rebels. After 2 years of pounding ISIL, we always knew that Air Power is ineffective against a bunkered down enemy moving in small numbers and we were never prepared to send troops in. Russia is gonna have to do that, and they are gonna be in a world of hurt!


a lot of speculation here with no evidence...who said anything about defeat?...its all about controlling your interests...

my two cents on how is the Syria war is gonna pan out...
scenario 1
the Russians are going to secure and fortify as mush as possible of Syrian territory..,then they will do the same in Iraq...the will push the head choppers into the center and it will be free for all..
scenario 2
push all the head choppers into turkey and mess turkey up...

this is what we are looking at so far...


There are no Russian operations in Iraq and the Iraqis have just launched a major offensive reclaiming some territory. The Russians better stay out of it.

They can fortify as much as they like in Syria. I would like to know how they are going to disarm the 41 rebel groups now that all of them have been targeted.

Here is my prediction. Most of the Rebel Groups are going to amalgamate into 2 or 3 factions. One or 2 might be hardline Jihadi and the other will comprise some moderate forces. It's gonna get a lot more difficult for all concerned because they will stop fighting each other and turn their focus over to Russia.

Russia has stuffed this right up!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Australian jets diverted from Syria

Postby boomerang » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:35 am

Paphitis wrote:
boomerang wrote:
Paphitis wrote:It's OK, our Super Hornets are still in the UAE and they might as well fly missions into Iraq as has always been the case.

It makes no difference. The fact is, Russia's involvement has complicated matters and its a dog's breakfast now. We all know this, and there is no way they will defeat the rebels. After 2 years of pounding ISIL, we always knew that Air Power is ineffective against a bunkered down enemy moving in small numbers and we were never prepared to send troops in. Russia is gonna have to do that, and they are gonna be in a world of hurt!


a lot of speculation here with no evidence...who said anything about defeat?...its all about controlling your interests...

my two cents on how is the Syria war is gonna pan out...
scenario 1
the Russians are going to secure and fortify as mush as possible of Syrian territory..,then they will do the same in Iraq...the will push the head choppers into the center and it will be free for all..
scenario 2
push all the head choppers into turkey and mess turkey up...

this is what we are looking at so far...


There are no Russian operations in Iraq and the Iraqis have just launched a major offensive reclaiming some territory. The Russians better stay out of it.

They can fortify as much as they like in Syria. I would like to know how they are going to disarm the 41 rebel groups now that all of them have been targeted.

Here is my prediction. Most of the Rebel Groups are going to amalgamate into 2 or 3 factions. One or 2 might be hardline Jihadi and the other will comprise some moderate forces. It's gonna get a lot more difficult for all concerned because they will stop fighting each other and turn their focus over to Russia.

Russia has stuffed this right up!


1...unlike the fake news of a downed Russian plane you will find via a google news search a lot of CREDIBLE articles of Iraq and russia doing open deals...why you might ask?...coz Iraq comes under Iran...again plenty of credible sources on the net to back this claim...

2...who said anything about disarming anyone...all the russians need to do is secure as much territory as possible and put the head choppers in the middle of nowhere...

all they need to do is push all the head choppers together with only their only avenue to vent their frustrations is turkey, you know the country with the "porous" border that allowed them to get to Syria in the first place...
User avatar
boomerang
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:56 am

Re: Australian jets diverted from Syria

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:44 am

boomerang wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
boomerang wrote:
Paphitis wrote:It's OK, our Super Hornets are still in the UAE and they might as well fly missions into Iraq as has always been the case.

It makes no difference. The fact is, Russia's involvement has complicated matters and its a dog's breakfast now. We all know this, and there is no way they will defeat the rebels. After 2 years of pounding ISIL, we always knew that Air Power is ineffective against a bunkered down enemy moving in small numbers and we were never prepared to send troops in. Russia is gonna have to do that, and they are gonna be in a world of hurt!


a lot of speculation here with no evidence...who said anything about defeat?...its all about controlling your interests...

my two cents on how is the Syria war is gonna pan out...
scenario 1
the Russians are going to secure and fortify as mush as possible of Syrian territory..,then they will do the same in Iraq...the will push the head choppers into the center and it will be free for all..
scenario 2
push all the head choppers into turkey and mess turkey up...

this is what we are looking at so far...


There are no Russian operations in Iraq and the Iraqis have just launched a major offensive reclaiming some territory. The Russians better stay out of it.

They can fortify as much as they like in Syria. I would like to know how they are going to disarm the 41 rebel groups now that all of them have been targeted.

Here is my prediction. Most of the Rebel Groups are going to amalgamate into 2 or 3 factions. One or 2 might be hardline Jihadi and the other will comprise some moderate forces. It's gonna get a lot more difficult for all concerned because they will stop fighting each other and turn their focus over to Russia.

Russia has stuffed this right up!


1...unlike the fake news of a downed Russian plane you will find via a google news search a lot of CREDIBLE articles of Iraq and russia doing open deals...why you might ask?...coz Iraq comes under Iran...again plenty of credible sources on the net to back this claim...

2...who said anything about disarming anyone...all the russians need to do is secure as much territory as possible and put the head choppers in the middle of nowhere...

all they need to do is push all the head choppers together with only their only avenue to vent their frustrations is turkey, you know the country with the "porous" border that allowed them to get to Syria in the first place...


OK then, if the Syrians are happy with about 20% of Syria then so be it. It just means that regime change is only a matter of time.

We are not worried about any alleged deals Russia may have with Iraq. the Iraqi Government is well aware that if they are invited then they will need to join the Coalition and coordinate with us completely. Russia however has not even ventured into Iraq to fight ISIL and they seem to have no concern over the fact that there actions have allowed ISIL to advance further West nearer to Aleppo.

The Iraqis are on a short leash whilst we are there calling the shots, training and arming them.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Australian jets diverted from Syria

Postby boomerang » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:56 am

Paphitis wrote:
boomerang wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
boomerang wrote:
Paphitis wrote:It's OK, our Super Hornets are still in the UAE and they might as well fly missions into Iraq as has always been the case.

It makes no difference. The fact is, Russia's involvement has complicated matters and its a dog's breakfast now. We all know this, and there is no way they will defeat the rebels. After 2 years of pounding ISIL, we always knew that Air Power is ineffective against a bunkered down enemy moving in small numbers and we were never prepared to send troops in. Russia is gonna have to do that, and they are gonna be in a world of hurt!


a lot of speculation here with no evidence...who said anything about defeat?...its all about controlling your interests...

my two cents on how is the Syria war is gonna pan out...
scenario 1
the Russians are going to secure and fortify as mush as possible of Syrian territory..,then they will do the same in Iraq...the will push the head choppers into the center and it will be free for all..
scenario 2
push all the head choppers into turkey and mess turkey up...

this is what we are looking at so far...


There are no Russian operations in Iraq and the Iraqis have just launched a major offensive reclaiming some territory. The Russians better stay out of it.

They can fortify as much as they like in Syria. I would like to know how they are going to disarm the 41 rebel groups now that all of them have been targeted.

Here is my prediction. Most of the Rebel Groups are going to amalgamate into 2 or 3 factions. One or 2 might be hardline Jihadi and the other will comprise some moderate forces. It's gonna get a lot more difficult for all concerned because they will stop fighting each other and turn their focus over to Russia.

Russia has stuffed this right up!


1...unlike the fake news of a downed Russian plane you will find via a google news search a lot of CREDIBLE articles of Iraq and russia doing open deals...why you might ask?...coz Iraq comes under Iran...again plenty of credible sources on the net to back this claim...

2...who said anything about disarming anyone...all the russians need to do is secure as much territory as possible and put the head choppers in the middle of nowhere...

all they need to do is push all the head choppers together with only their only avenue to vent their frustrations is turkey, you know the country with the "porous" border that allowed them to get to Syria in the first place...


OK then, if the Syrians are happy with about 20% of Syria then so be it. It just means that regime change is only a matter of time.

We are not worried about any alleged deals Russia may have with Iraq. the Iraqi Government is well aware that if they are invited then they will need to join the Coalition and coordinate with us completely. Russia however has not even ventured into Iraq to fight ISIL and they seem to have no concern over the fact that there actions have allowed ISIL to advance further West nearer to Aleppo.

The Iraqis are on a short leash whilst we are there calling the shots, training and arming them.


i am not sure where you get your info from but here is mine with links

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/iraq-russia-us-isis_5614f741e4b0fad1591a0eb9
Iraqi Official Wants Russia To Have A Bigger Role Than U.S.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/09/world/iraq-amanpour-holmes-faily/
Iraq hints it would accept Russian support in ISIS fight

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/iraqi-prime-minister-says-he-would-welcome-russian-airstrikes/2015/10/01/4177cf3c-684b-11e5-8325-a42b5a459b1e_story.html
Iraqi prime minister says he would ‘welcome’ Russian airstrikes in Iraq

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/100715-774562-let-down-by-america-iraq-turns-to-russia.htm
Iraq Gives Up On America And Asks Russia To Rescue It From IS

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/military-officials-say-iraq-likely-welcome-no-red-line-russian-airstrikes-1790574154
Military officials say Iraq likely to welcome ‘no red line’ Russian airstrikes

http://www.wsj.com/articles/iraq-open-to-russian-requests-for-reconnaissance-flights-over-country-1443446662
Deepening Russian Involvement in Iraq Complicates U.S. Airstrikes on Islamic State
User avatar
boomerang
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:56 am

Re: Australian jets diverted from Syria

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:56 am

boomerang wrote:
i am not sure where you get your info from but here is mine with links

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/iraq-russia-us-isis_5614f741e4b0fad1591a0eb9
Iraqi Official Wants Russia To Have A Bigger Role Than U.S.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/09/world/iraq-amanpour-holmes-faily/
Iraq hints it would accept Russian support in ISIS fight

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/iraqi-prime-minister-says-he-would-welcome-russian-airstrikes/2015/10/01/4177cf3c-684b-11e5-8325-a42b5a459b1e_story.html
Iraqi prime minister says he would ‘welcome’ Russian airstrikes in Iraq

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/100715-774562-let-down-by-america-iraq-turns-to-russia.htm
Iraq Gives Up On America And Asks Russia To Rescue It From IS

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/military-officials-say-iraq-likely-welcome-no-red-line-russian-airstrikes-1790574154
Military officials say Iraq likely to welcome ‘no red line’ Russian airstrikes

http://www.wsj.com/articles/iraq-open-to-russian-requests-for-reconnaissance-flights-over-country-1443446662
Deepening Russian Involvement in Iraq Complicates U.S. Airstrikes on Islamic State


We will see in due course if it is fake news.

We will also see what Russia's response is during the next hours and whether NATO will in fact remove the Patriots.

The links mean nothing to me Boomerang because Russia has not been invited into Iraq and it has not entered Iraq yet and all indications are that it does not intend to, because if it does, we are pulling our Technical Advisors and will cease to arm the Iraqis. The Iraqi Government is free to look at its options as a sovereign Government to see whether they are prepared to send their Ground Troops (which they are not) but it also knows that without these troops it will lose a whole lot more if Russia stuck its nose into Iraq so that about 2 dozen Russian Jets can commence operations against DAESH when at the moment there are more than 400+ coalition aircraft pounding them.

Putin is big on theatrics trying to assert himself. We are not so eager to post videos of our aircraft. We did it in the beginning but that was it.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Australian jets diverted from Syria

Postby boomerang » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 am

let me get this straight...you are discounting 100's of articles regarding Iraq, influenced heavily by iran, and russia...to promote what you want to make believe and expect everyone to go by what you say?... come on man you know and I know and everyone knows it simply doesn't work this way...
User avatar
boomerang
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:56 am

Next

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests