The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Re: Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

Postby DrCyprus » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:02 pm

observer wrote:Like most Cypriots, I would like all foreign troops removed from the island.


You are not doing anything to prove your statement. You should be foaming to the teeth with anger against your Turkish protectors for not allowing you to determine your own destiny.

I started this thread with my tongue slightly in my cheek to indicate that real-politik will always come first.


No, you started this thread to tell us that the Cyprus problem was unimportant and that we as Cypriots should just bent over to Turkey's demands because we are unimportant. Just like you started this post by telling us that you have a 'life to live'. You are a douchebag.

This is extra true for the GC super-patriots who take every opportunity to slam Turkey, making sure that there will never be a solution.


If you are opposing the existence of foreign armies in Cyprus why aren't you slamming Turkey as well?

For GCs, Turkey is not their enemy but time. The 'embargo' is now a farce (pseudo embargo?) and only seems to affect sport teams. Whatever GCs may believe, life in TRNC is improving year by year. I'm sure that they can troll the net and come up with examples of things that are not right, and I could do the same for them, but what's the point? After 40+ or 50+ years - take your pick - the situation is becoming increasingly accepted as normal by the outside world. The UN, EU or whoever is not going to take up the GCs cause beyond words just because they consider themselves "legal" and the government in the North "illegal".

GCs had their chance in 2004 and blew it. I hope that the current talks reach a point where we can have another referendum, where both sides can vote 'yes' because it is acceptable, not vote 'no' because it's not perfect. When I was little I was told the story of the North Wind and the Sun. It's one of Aesop's Fables and as he was Greek I'm sure that GCs will know it, but just in case it's here : http://www.umass.edu/aesop/content.php?n=31&i=1

Finally, I never believed that Turkey stood a much better chance of joining the EU after Merkel and Erdogan talked than it did before. Having observed what has happened to countries on the outskirts of the EU - Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, RoC - I think staying out of the EU is the best thing Turkey could do.


Please don't spam this forum with the Turkish propaganda crap.
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Re: Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

Postby observer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:08 am

DrCyprus wrote:
observer wrote:Like most Cypriots, I would like all foreign troops removed from the island.


You are not doing anything to prove your statement. You should be foaming to the teeth with anger against your Turkish protectors for not allowing you to determine your own destiny.
We had the opportunity in 2004. The Annan Plan wasn't perfect but it was an acceptable way forward. GCs turned it down.


I started this thread with my tongue slightly in my cheek to indicate that real-politik will always come first.


No, you started this thread to tell us that the Cyprus problem was unimportant and that we as Cypriots should just bent over to Turkey's demands because we are unimportant. Just like you started this post by telling us that you have a 'life to live'. You are a douchebag.
I'm afraid that you didn't read it very well. My comments are, and continue to be, that the Cyprus problem is not important to the outside world. It isn't. Sorry that you were offended by me saying that I had a life to live, but I honestly do have other things to do.

This is extra true for the GC super-patriots who take every opportunity to slam Turkey, making sure that there will never be a solution.


If you are opposing the existence of foreign armies in Cyprus why aren't you slamming Turkey as well?
It is a reality that no troops will leave until their is a settlement between Cypriots. There is more than enough slamming of Turkey on this site that I don't feel the need to slam them.

For GCs, Turkey is not their enemy but time. The 'embargo' is now a farce (pseudo embargo?) and only seems to affect sport teams. Whatever GCs may believe, life in TRNC is improving year by year. I'm sure that they can troll the net and come up with examples of things that are not right, and I could do the same for them, but what's the point? After 40+ or 50+ years - take your pick - the situation is becoming increasingly accepted as normal by the outside world. The UN, EU or whoever is not going to take up the GCs cause beyond words just because they consider themselves "legal" and the government in the North "illegal".

GCs had their chance in 2004 and blew it. I hope that the current talks reach a point where we can have another referendum, where both sides can vote 'yes' because it is acceptable, not vote 'no' because it's not perfect. When I was little I was told the story of the North Wind and the Sun. It's one of Aesop's Fables and as he was Greek I'm sure that GCs will know it, but just in case it's here : http://www.umass.edu/aesop/content.php?n=31&i=1

Finally, I never believed that Turkey stood a much better chance of joining the EU after Merkel and Erdogan talked than it did before. Having observed what has happened to countries on the outskirts of the EU - Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, RoC - I think staying out of the EU is the best thing Turkey could do.


Please don't spam this forum with the Turkish propaganda crap.
I see little that is not true in these paragraphs. You might like to point out anything that you think is wrong
observer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1663
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:21 am

Re: Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

Postby Oceanside50 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:13 am

observer wrote:
repulsewarrior wrote:
Get Real! wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:
observer wrote:I agree and am very happy that Turkey will not be tied to the dead horse that is the EU.

I just thought that you would like to see how unimportant Cyprus and its problem is in the real world compared with the importance of Turkey. That's likely to remain the case in the future despite all the comments of puffed up GC politicians who think Cyprus is the centre of the universe. So don't expect any real help from the EU or the UN in removing Turkey from the North. Sad but true.


True.
However are you with us or against us in "removing Turkey from the North"??

Keep dreaming... once a Turk always a Turk.


...i would have liked to hear observerer's answer to Pyrpolizer, but now i fear it will be tainted with the baiting.

...once a Greek always a Greek, you say GR? Depends on how one defines "Greek", doesn't it?


Sorry not to have replied earlier, but I do have a life to live.

Like most Cypriots, I would like all foreign troops removed from the island. I started this thread with my tongue slightly in my cheek to indicate that real-politik will always come first. Mekel is doing her job, looking after Germany's interests as she sees it. Erdogan is looking after Turkey's interests as he sees it. Too many Cypriot politicians only look after their own interests. This is extra true for the GC super-patriots who take every opportunity to slam Turkey, making sure that there will never be a solution.

For GCs, Turkey is not their enemy but time. The 'embargo' is now a farce (pseudo embargo?) and only seems to affect sport teams. Whatever GCs may believe, life in TRNC is improving year by year. I'm sure that they can troll the net and come up with examples of things that are not right, and I could do the same for them, but what's the point? After 40+ or 50+ years - take your pick - the situation is becoming increasingly accepted as normal by the outside world. The UN, EU or whoever is not going to take up the GCs cause beyond words just because they consider themselves "legal" and the government in the North "illegal".

GCs had their chance in 2004 and blew it. I hope that the current talks reach a point where we can have another referendum, where both sides can vote 'yes' because it is acceptable, not vote 'no' because it's not perfect. When I was little I was told the story of the North Wind and the Sun. It's one of Aesop's Fables and as he was Greek I'm sure that GCs will know it, but just in case it's here : http://www.umass.edu/aesop/content.php?n=31&i=1

Finally, I never believed that Turkey stood a much better chance of joining the EU after Merkel and Erdogan talked than it did before. Having observed what has happened to countries on the outskirts of the EU - Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, RoC - I think staying out of the EU is the best thing Turkey could do.


bollocks!!
Oceanside50
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2062
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

Postby Get Real! » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:13 am

observer wrote:...the Cyprus problem is not important to the outside world

I don’t know why you and other Turkophiles, keep feeling the need to say the obvious because Cyprus doesn’t care about Colombia’s FARC problem, Sri Lanka’s former Tamil Tiger problem, or Britain’s IRA problem… in fact when the Brits were killing each other not too long ago us Cypriots just couldn’t care less! :lol:

So why are you stating the obvious? :?
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

Postby Sotos » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:20 am

umit07 wrote:
Sotos wrote:
observer wrote:I agree and am very happy that Turkey will not be tied to the dead horse that is the EU.

I just thought that you would like to see how unimportant Cyprus and its problem is in the real world compared with the importance of Turkey. That's likely to remain the case in the future despite all the comments of puffed up GC politicians who think Cyprus is the centre of the universe. So don't expect any real help from the EU or the UN in removing Turkey from the North. Sad but true.


Cyprus has less than a million people so our per capita importance is far greater than that of Turks. In short, what I believe matters more than what you believe. And if we interpolate that for GCs and TCs, the GCs have an importance which is far greater than their size would suggest, while the TCs have lesser importance even for their size, since they don't even have a say in choosing those who rule them (Turkish parties)... even the people of the most tiny democratic country get at least that.


Your "per captita importance" as you put is Sotos is minuscule. You are no Israel.


First of all Israel is 8 million, so much more than us. Secondly you are comparing us with the country which is possibly the most powerful country with a population under 30 million (maybe even more than that, if you count that they quite possibly have nukes). What is certain is that our importance is a lot greater than that of TCs, and a lot greater than what Turks would like us to have. (Turkey wants to downgrade our importance to the level of TCs and Kurds)
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10663
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

Postby DrCyprus » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:50 am

Must we once again debate the farcical Turkish creation called the Anan plan? It's in the dustbin of history where it should be. It wasn't a unique opportunity to achieve anything other than to surrender our country and sovereignity to third parties.

I'd rather talk about how we could reach a solution with the other side that excludes third party interventions and creates a unique Cypriot identity framework we can expound on without forfeiting history, tradition and cultural identity.
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Re: Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

Postby B25 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:50 pm

DrCyprus wrote:I'd rather talk about how we could reach a solution with the other side that excludes third party interventions and creates a unique Cypriot identity framework we can expound on without forfeiting history, tradition and cultural identity.


Amen to that.
User avatar
B25
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6075
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Location: ** Classified **

Re: Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

Postby umit07 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:35 pm

DrCyprus wrote:
I'd rather talk about how we could reach a solution with the other side that excludes third party interventions and creates a unique Cypriot identity framework we can expound on without forfeiting history, tradition and cultural identity.


Let us know once you sort out your own identity.
User avatar
umit07
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

Postby Get Real! » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:55 pm

umit07 wrote:
DrCyprus wrote:
I'd rather talk about how we could reach a solution with the other side that excludes third party interventions and creates a unique Cypriot identity framework we can expound on without forfeiting history, tradition and cultural identity.


Let us know once you sort out your own identity.

Very well said Umit! :lol:

The silly fucks always rush to defend Greek mythologies and then want to talk about the Cypriot identity!

Talk about shooting one’s self in the foot!
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Merkel ready to push Turkey EU accession

Postby DrCyprus » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:37 pm

umit07 wrote:Let us know once you sort out your own identity.


Let's make a thread where instead of throwing shit at each other we actually have a conversation.
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests