The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Pedelecs

Ask any specific question related to Cyprus.

Re: Pedelecs

Postby DrCyprus » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:30 pm

36510 wrote:
Nikitas wrote:As long as it is a pedelec and not an electric bike, it will probably be OK. Failing any national legislation the Eu regulation applies I reckon. And that as far as I recall is 250W motor assist.

250 W is the limit in Germany, where I am from, but Switzerland e. g. allows up tp 350 W (and CH belongs to the European Economic Area which I thought to apply EU standards).


250W
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Re: Pedelecs

Postby 36510 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:18 pm

MR-from-NG wrote:What is the wattage you want?


350 - 500 W would be nice. I wouldn´t mind if the speed was capped at 20 km/h but would like to be able to pedal up the mountains.
36510
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Pedelecs

Postby 36510 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:20 pm

DrCyprus wrote:250W

What would be the consequences of having more than 250 W? Would it mean you need a driver license, insurance etc. or would it not be allowed at all?
36510
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Pedelecs

Postby DrCyprus » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:11 pm

36510 wrote:
DrCyprus wrote:250W

What would be the consequences of having more than 250 W? Would it mean you need a driver license, insurance etc. or would it not be allowed at all?


The Cypriot law on pedelecs is a direct copy of the E.U law without any changes or adjustments.

Personally, I don't even think our police knows what a pedelec is. I think you can just get away with it.
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Re: Pedelecs

Postby MR-from-NG » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:21 pm

36510 wrote:
MR-from-NG wrote:What is the wattage you want?


350 - 500 W would be nice. I wouldn´t mind if the speed was capped at 20 km/h but would like to be able to pedal up the mountains.


Judging by the UK e-bike market I would say you have nothing to fear in going for a 500 watt motor. If I'm not mistaken the Magic Pie 5 can be programmed to anything between 250-500 watts. But seriously nobody, including the police care about wattage etc, I wouldn't make an issue of this.

The most important component of your kit will be the battery. Again, instant on eBay has a vast range and can custom build your battery. I know the company well and they are able to give you a Smart Pie and a battery at a discounted price.

If you want to contact them let me know and I'll have a word with the owner to give you preferential price and take good care of you. Magic Pie 5 is for enthusiast (serious e-bikers) If you just want something basic to ride then the Smart Pie would be good choice and I'm sure you'll get it cheap as they have a lot in stock and with the launch of the Magic Pie 5 they will not sell as well as they did in the past.
MR-from-NG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Re: Pedelecs

Postby 36510 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:35 pm

DrCyprus wrote:Personally, I don't even think our police knows what a pedelec is. I think you can just get away with it.

That´s too risky for my liking. Should I cause an accident, my liability insurance might deny cover because I rode a pedelec which wasn´t conforming to the law. I´d rather be on the safe side.
36510
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Pedelecs

Postby 36510 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:01 pm

MR-from-NG wrote:The most important component of your kit will be the battery. Again, instant on eBay has a vast range and can custom build your battery. I know the company well and they are able to give you a Smart Pie and a battery at a discounted price.

If you want to contact them let me know and I'll have a word with the owner to give you preferential price and take good care of you. Magic Pie 5 is for enthusiast (serious e-bikers) If you just want something basic to ride then the Smart Pie would be good choice and I'm sure you'll get it cheap as they have a lot in stock and with the launch of the Magic Pie 5 they will not sell as well as they did in the past.


Thanks for your offer. Much appreciated. Just to clarify: I´m not a bicycling nerd and am looking for something in the lower price range. My pedelec in Germany cost me only €500 (at year end sale) and has served me well so far. But I´m only riding leisurely and haven´t been riding in mountaineous regions. For longer tours I simply took a spare battery with me. Taking my old bike with me wouldn´t make much sense because of the cost of transportation. And obviously a high capacity battery (e. g. 16 Ah or more) would be nice. So I thought I should find out what´s available (and legal) in Cyprus before making up my mind what and where to buy. I wouldn´t know how to assemble a kit anyway. Therefore I´d prefer to buy a ready-for-use pedelec rather than an assemly kit.
36510
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Pedelecs

Postby DrCyprus » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:01 pm

36510 wrote:my liability insurance


so German of you :lol:
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Re: Pedelecs

Postby MR-from-NG » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:05 pm

36510 wrote:
MR-from-NG wrote:The most important component of your kit will be the battery. Again, instant on eBay has a vast range and can custom build your battery. I know the company well and they are able to give you a Smart Pie and a battery at a discounted price.

If you want to contact them let me know and I'll have a word with the owner to give you preferential price and take good care of you. Magic Pie 5 is for enthusiast (serious e-bikers) If you just want something basic to ride then the Smart Pie would be good choice and I'm sure you'll get it cheap as they have a lot in stock and with the launch of the Magic Pie 5 they will not sell as well as they did in the past.


Thanks for your offer. Much appreciated. Just to clarify: I´m not a bicycling nerd and am looking for something in the lower price range. My pedelec in Germany cost me only €500 (at year end sale) and has served me well so far. But I´m only riding leisurely and haven´t been riding in mountaineous regions. For longer tours I simply took a spare battery with me. Taking my old bike with me wouldn´t make much sense because of the cost of transportation. And obviously a high capacity battery (e. g. 16 Ah or more) would be nice. So I thought I should find out what´s available (and legal) in Cyprus before making up my mind what and where to buy. I wouldn´t know how to assemble a kit anyway. Therefore I´d prefer to buy a ready-for-use pedelec rather than an assemly kit.

I just did a thorough search for a reasonably priced e-Bike, new and used, couldn't see anything in your price range so I wish you the best of luck.
MR-from-NG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Re: Pedelecs

Postby 36510 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:42 pm

DrCyprus wrote:
36510 wrote:my liability insurance


so German of you :lol:

Is that a good or a bad thing? :D
36510
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:46 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Questions and Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest