The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The Cypriot Resolve

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: The Cypriot Resolve

Postby Pyrpolizer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:46 am

Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:The results speak for themselves.

Greece was strung up and they were responsible for this 100% In contrast, the boring Cypriot Finance Minister (I am no fan of him) has delivered some good results and Cyprus is on the correct trajectory.

No one has the Greek Mentality, not even the Turks.

Sorry but it is time this bubble burst. Greeks don't conform. Italy, Spain, Ireland and Cyprus can't all be wrong and then in give kudos to Greece for not be a "lamb". The entire Greek System or way of thinking is very flawed and we do not share it in Cyprus. It's broken well and truly.


Which results??
The public finances were not a major issue in Cyprus. Our problem was and still is the Banks.
They only needed some economizing plus this new tax on everyone's properties to recover. As simple as that.

In Greece the Banks were OK, whereas the problem were the public finances. Their problem was and still is the same.

They have a reason for not conforming. It's impossible... They need a debt write-off and they are sure they will get it.
Whereas we in Cyprus just accepted to commit suicide.


All economic indicators are showing accelerated growth.

No one said that the public finances would be solved overnight. This is impossible as it will take time. However, if the RoC economy is growing, then Government income increases and the burden on Public Finances become less and less. On top of that, unemployment will decline provided the economy keeps growing, increasing tax revenues further and reducing any burden on the state.

Cyprus has returned back to International Markets and the Credit Rating Agencies have revised their outlook to POSITIVE!

The Banks have restructured themselves. And tax is a necessary thing for the State to function. The EU used this crisis as an opportunity to steer Cyprus into the right direction and introduce property land taxes which are standard in most EU countries. They have expanded the RoC's revenue base as anyone who owns land is unable to avoid this tax.

And sorry but you have nothing to complain about. I too pay IPT and in Cyprus it is dirt cheap compared to anywhere else. Paying a couple of hundred Euro each year is just peanuts!


Accelerated growth from where? From the bottom they threw us overnight?
Sure when you throw someone 30% down overnight, a 0.08% expected growth after 3 years of stall should be expected. Probably after 20-30 years we will be back to where we were before. Does this indicate how clever we are? On the contrary lamb we were lamb we will continue to be.
Do you know how many unemployed people are dragged to courts because they are unable to pay those extra taxes? And you call this necessary for the State to function? The State can function with half the public servants not with additional super heavy taxes.
Sure after solving the issue of the public finances the returned to the markets. Like I said before the public finances was not the major issue on the first place. Still our Bonds are in at the rank of Trash though.

As for the Banks yes they restructured, what does this mean when 60%+ of their loans are not performing? How do you think they survive while they all announce loses? the answer is simple: From the depositors' money!

I think our REAL problems are once again hidden under the carpet. Do you know how they will solve them? By selling us on the Cyprus issue. MARK MY WORDS!
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: The Cypriot Resolve

Postby Paphitis » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:02 am

Pyrpolizer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:The results speak for themselves.

Greece was strung up and they were responsible for this 100% In contrast, the boring Cypriot Finance Minister (I am no fan of him) has delivered some good results and Cyprus is on the correct trajectory.

No one has the Greek Mentality, not even the Turks.

Sorry but it is time this bubble burst. Greeks don't conform. Italy, Spain, Ireland and Cyprus can't all be wrong and then in give kudos to Greece for not be a "lamb". The entire Greek System or way of thinking is very flawed and we do not share it in Cyprus. It's broken well and truly.


Which results??
The public finances were not a major issue in Cyprus. Our problem was and still is the Banks.
They only needed some economizing plus this new tax on everyone's properties to recover. As simple as that.

In Greece the Banks were OK, whereas the problem were the public finances. Their problem was and still is the same.

They have a reason for not conforming. It's impossible... They need a debt write-off and they are sure they will get it.
Whereas we in Cyprus just accepted to commit suicide.


All economic indicators are showing accelerated growth.

No one said that the public finances would be solved overnight. This is impossible as it will take time. However, if the RoC economy is growing, then Government income increases and the burden on Public Finances become less and less. On top of that, unemployment will decline provided the economy keeps growing, increasing tax revenues further and reducing any burden on the state.

Cyprus has returned back to International Markets and the Credit Rating Agencies have revised their outlook to POSITIVE!

The Banks have restructured themselves. And tax is a necessary thing for the State to function. The EU used this crisis as an opportunity to steer Cyprus into the right direction and introduce property land taxes which are standard in most EU countries. They have expanded the RoC's revenue base as anyone who owns land is unable to avoid this tax.

And sorry but you have nothing to complain about. I too pay IPT and in Cyprus it is dirt cheap compared to anywhere else. Paying a couple of hundred Euro each year is just peanuts!


Accelerated growth from where? From the bottom they threw us overnight?
Sure when you throw someone 30% down overnight, a 0.08% expected growth after 3 years of stall should be expected. Probably after 20-30 years we will be back to where we were before. Does this indicate how clever we are? On the contrary lamb we were lamb we will continue to be.
Do you know how many unemployed people are dragged to courts because they are unable to pay those extra taxes? And you call this necessary for the State to function? The State can function with half the public servants not with additional super heavy taxes.
Sure after solving the issue of the public finances the returned to the markets. Like I said before the public finances was not the major issue on the first place. Still our Bonds are in at the rank of Trash though.

As for the Banks yes they restructured, what does this mean when 60%+ of their loans are not performing? How do you think they survive while they all announce loses? the answer is simple: From the depositors' money!

I think our REAL problems are once again hidden under the carpet. Do you know how they will solve them? By selling us on the Cyprus issue. MARK MY WORDS!


Cyprus should be back to where it was in a few years. Always there is a boom after a recession but it is held back by the global environment but nevertheless Cyprus has a positive outlook.

http://www.focus-economics.com/countries/cyprus

Here is an interesting statistic. The Cyprus economy is outperforming the big boys at the moment - Australia, China, Germany, Canada and so on. Now that is saying something.

There are no big problems. The system has worked for decades and Cyprus only went down because of its over exposure to the Greek basket case. That should be a very valuable lesson for all of you.

Property Taxes are only levied to those who own property. It makes no difference if they are unemployed. They could move back home and rent their property in which case there should be no excuse as to why they do not pay the tax. Those with more property pay more tax. It can't get any fairer than that. It's also a very broad tax and a great revenue raiser for the Government which is exactly what is needed. If the young person still can't afford the tax, then perhaps they should get their hands dirty and get a job - any job rather than be selective. Finding hospitality work even shouldn't be a big issue for most Cypriots.

These types of taxes have existed in Western Countries like Germany for decades. it's efficient, and allows the Government to fund Hospitals, Schools, Infrastructure, Law and Order etc etc. I actually consider the Cypriot Tax Man to be quite fair and the taxes are what I consider quite cheap even if you do earn a wage in Cyprus, because I can tell you that they are a lot more in other countries.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The Cypriot Resolve

Postby Pyrpolizer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Paphitis wrote:Cyprus should be back to where it was in a few years. Always there is a boom after a recession but it is held back by the global environment but nevertheless Cyprus has a positive outlook.

http://www.focus-economics.com/countries/cyprus

Here is an interesting statistic. The Cyprus economy is outperforming the big boys at the moment - Australia, China, Germany, Canada and so on. Now that is saying something.

There are no big problems. The system has worked for decades and Cyprus only went down because of its over exposure to the Greek basket case. That should be a very valuable lesson for all of you.

Property Taxes are only levied to those who own property. It makes no difference if they are unemployed. They could move back home and rent their property in which case there should be no excuse as to why they do not pay the tax. Those with more property pay more tax. It can't get any fairer than that. It's also a very broad tax and a great revenue raiser for the Government which is exactly what is needed. If the young person still can't afford the tax, then perhaps they should get their hands dirty and get a job - any job rather than be selective. Finding hospitality work even shouldn't be a big issue for most Cypriots.

These types of taxes have existed in Western Countries like Germany for decades. it's efficient, and allows the Government to fund Hospitals, Schools, Infrastructure, Law and Order etc etc. I actually consider the Cypriot Tax Man to be quite fair and the taxes are what I consider quite cheap even if you do earn a wage in Cyprus, because I can tell you that they are a lot more in other countries.


Did those Countries impose such a tax when their Country was deep in recession?
Fyi they totally lied telling people that nobody would pay anything if his house worth < 200K (if my memory is correct). In the end the limit turned out to be much less so effectively everybody pays, and on top of it they included all kinds of properties in the tax. There were people who did have lots of lands-mostly inherited agricultural land- who were just living on a plain salary and suddenly got unemployed. How on earth could they pay this NEW tax?
It personally costs me 1 complete monthly income!
What would you say if from one day to another you would have to pay one whole monthly income for a NEW tax under super recession conditions?
I have a relative who just owns a house and a 2 bd appartment that he rents. This new tax costs him more than his monthly pension!
So yes presumably they recovered first by stealing peoples and Russian depositors their money, and now by stealing the few savings we kept aside. Neeext -->Cyprus problem sale
Careful from Anastasiades! I just can't trust this guy, firstly for his stance at the Annan Plan, secondly for what he dragged us into within days.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: The Cypriot Resolve

Postby Paphitis » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:41 am

Pyrpolizer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:Cyprus should be back to where it was in a few years. Always there is a boom after a recession but it is held back by the global environment but nevertheless Cyprus has a positive outlook.

http://www.focus-economics.com/countries/cyprus

Here is an interesting statistic. The Cyprus economy is outperforming the big boys at the moment - Australia, China, Germany, Canada and so on. Now that is saying something.

There are no big problems. The system has worked for decades and Cyprus only went down because of its over exposure to the Greek basket case. That should be a very valuable lesson for all of you.

Property Taxes are only levied to those who own property. It makes no difference if they are unemployed. They could move back home and rent their property in which case there should be no excuse as to why they do not pay the tax. Those with more property pay more tax. It can't get any fairer than that. It's also a very broad tax and a great revenue raiser for the Government which is exactly what is needed. If the young person still can't afford the tax, then perhaps they should get their hands dirty and get a job - any job rather than be selective. Finding hospitality work even shouldn't be a big issue for most Cypriots.

These types of taxes have existed in Western Countries like Germany for decades. it's efficient, and allows the Government to fund Hospitals, Schools, Infrastructure, Law and Order etc etc. I actually consider the Cypriot Tax Man to be quite fair and the taxes are what I consider quite cheap even if you do earn a wage in Cyprus, because I can tell you that they are a lot more in other countries.


Did those Countries impose such a tax when their Country was deep in recession?
Fyi they totally lied telling people that nobody would pay anything if his house worth < 200K (if my memory is correct). In the end the limit turned out to be much less so effectively everybody pays, and on top of it they included all kinds of properties in the tax. There were people who did have lots of lands-mostly inherited agricultural land- who were just living on a plain salary and suddenly got unemployed. How on earth could they pay this NEW tax?
It personally costs me 1 complete monthly income!
What would you say if from one day to another you would have to pay one whole monthly income for a NEW tax under super recession conditions?
I have a relative who just owns a house and a 2 bd appartment that he rents. This new tax costs him more than his monthly pension!
So yes presumably they recovered first by stealing peoples and Russian depositors their money, and now by stealing the few savings we kept aside. Neeext -->Cyprus problem sale
Careful from Anastasiades! I just can't trust this guy, firstly for his stance at the Annan Plan, secondly for what he dragged us into within days.


IPT is value based. So if the property is worth a lot, the more that tax is paid. If it is worth not much at all, as is the case in Agricultural Land, then less tax will be charged.

At the time Pyro, Cyprus was on the verge of default and complete insolvency where not even pensions, unemployment benefits or Public Sector wages would be paid. That is a total and complete shutdown of the Government. And outside of the financial markets, the entire RoC could be stuffed.

They had no choice, They had to implement this new tax and they had to include everyone. If they excluded properties under 200,000, then that effectively excludes about 90% of the tax base and the 10% would be flogged to death. That is not a solution. You have to tax everyone and index the amount of tax.

The fact that this was not introduced into Cyprus a long time ago, you should be asking questions. But I bet you would be demanding better schools, hospitals, roads etc. Everyone wants these things but they don't want to pay for it.

It's kind of like Road Tolls. No one likes them, but wherever there are Road Tolls you also have the best Highway Networks, Tunnels and Bridges. I don't mind them actually and think they are a great idea. It beats a rubbish road network, bottlenecks and traffic jams any time as I prefer to pay a couple of bucks to avoid a jam and being stuck in my car for 2 hours.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The Cypriot Resolve

Postby kurupetos » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Get Real! wrote:
Sotos wrote:
Ancient Cyprus is the Alpha and the Omega of European civilization… everything else is bullshit!

I don't know which is funnier ... your illusions of grandeur or that you use the Greek letters Alpha and Omega to describe it :lol:

Who says they’re Greek letters? Do you want me to go over everything again?

Yes, do that, chicken.
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17891
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: The Cypriot Resolve

Postby DrCyprus » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:55 pm

saying that Alpha and Omega are not Greek letters is like saying that the eggs in your fridge don't belong to you, they belong to a chicken.
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Re: The Cypriot Resolve

Postby kurupetos » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:13 am

DrCyprus wrote:saying that Alpha and Omega are not Greek letters is like saying that the eggs in your fridge don't belong to you, they belong to a chicken.

Not a good example... because GR! is a chicken... :roll:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17891
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: The Cypriot Resolve

Postby Paphitis » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:22 am

kurupetos wrote:
DrCyprus wrote:saying that Alpha and Omega are not Greek letters is like saying that the eggs in your fridge don't belong to you, they belong to a chicken.

Not a good example... because GR! is a chicken... :roll:


Alpha and Omega are English. It was when I did Mathematics. Same as Pi, Sigma and Rho and all that!

You've already adopted 1/3 of the English Language, all we need to do now is to get you to adopt the other 2/3 and hook you up with an Engleza or Germanitha and give you some viagra so that the offspring might stand a chance. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The Cypriot Resolve

Postby DrCyprus » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:39 am

Paphitis wrote:
kurupetos wrote:
DrCyprus wrote:saying that Alpha and Omega are not Greek letters is like saying that the eggs in your fridge don't belong to you, they belong to a chicken.

Not a good example... because GR! is a chicken... :roll:


Alpha and Omega are English. It was when I did Mathematics. Same as Pi, Sigma and Rho and all that!

You've already adopted 1/3 of the English Language, all we need to do now is to get you to adopt the other 2/3 and hook you up with an Engleza or Germanitha and give you some viagra so that the offspring might stand a chance. :mrgreen:


ewwwwwwww :roll:
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Previous

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest