The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


tips in restaurants

Ask any specific question related to Cyprus.

tips in restaurants

Postby 36510 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:05 am

How much are you expected to tip a waiter/waitress in a restaurant? Are they dependent on tips or are they paid a salary? Excuse my ignorance, but where I'm from restaurant prices include the price of waitressing (usually 10-15%; tips are still welcome though).
36510
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: tips in restaurants

Postby Tim Drayton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:37 am

Speaking personally, I tend to give something in the range you have mentioned (10-15%) but I don't really know how widespread that is. Unfortunately, people who work in restaurants in Cyprus don't earn very much.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: tips in restaurants

Postby DrCyprus » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:20 am

Tip culture in restaurants in Cyprus is the exact same as in Germany.
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Re: tips in restaurants

Postby cypriotnado » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:27 am

DrCyprus wrote:Tip culture in restaurants in Cyprus is the exact same as in Germany.


Stimmt So
User avatar
cypriotnado
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: tips in restaurants

Postby DrCyprus » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:41 am

cypriotnado wrote:
DrCyprus wrote:Tip culture in restaurants in Cyprus is the exact same as in Germany.


Stimmt So


genau :lol:
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Re: tips in restaurants

Postby dodo » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:26 pm

Wages = Very low , 6-700€/month

As for the tips, depends firstly on what kind of service you receive. If service is poor, maybe 5%. If you get good service, I would think 10-15% or more would be a nice way to reward the person.

From what I've seen going on with Cypriot colleagues, sometimes families, they don't tip too much, sometimes to the point of making me feel embarrassed, we had an episode at one tavern where the person was intending to leave a 2€ tip for a +100€ bill so I slipped a tenner in the hand of the waiter, the guy who invited us saw me and he wasn't very happy. Well, I'd still do it again though, I was once doing the same job in my young days and I know how hard it can be, if you do it right. I have to say on the other hand that the service here is usually way below the threshold of acceptability, especially outside of the 4-5 star hotels or posh places, plus the small village taverns which are usually family owned have great service from what I have experienced.

If you go places like Pizza Hut, tourist-area joints and similar, expect the worse.
dodo
Member
Member
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:07 am
Location: Limassol

Re: tips in restaurants

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:21 pm

It used to be that all restaurants were family owned. And people usually went to restaurants whose owners they knew. The habit was that the bill was rounded off, usually down, before being given to you to pay. Free fruit and liquors/brandy at the end were another must-do (less so now) by the owners. So, it was viewed as offensive if you tried to leave more money (i.e. a tip) because it suggested something like you were better/wealthier and acting as if you were giving money to a beggar or someone who needed the money.

So tipping was not the cultural norm.

Of course now, restaurants, even if family owned, use foreign staff to serve and, like everywhere else, they are not paid highly.

So be as generous as you feel the staff deserve and that you can afford. :)
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: tips in restaurants

Postby cypriotnado » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:24 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:It used to be that all restaurants were family owned. And people usually went to restaurants whose owners they knew. The habit was that the bill was rounded off, usually down, before being given to you to pay. Free fruit and liquors/brandy at the end were another must-do (less so now) by the owners. So, it was viewed as offensive if you tried to leave more money (i.e. a tip) because it suggested something like you were better/wealthier and acting as if you were giving money to a beggar or someone who needed the money.

So tipping was not the cultural norm.

Of course now, restaurants, even if family owned, use foreign staff to serve and, like everywhere else, they are not paid highly.

So be as generous as you feel the staff deserve and that you can afford. :)



I thought you just drank baby blood.......... :o hic
User avatar
cypriotnado
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: tips in restaurants

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:53 pm

cypriotnado wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:It used to be that all restaurants were family owned. And people usually went to restaurants whose owners they knew. The habit was that the bill was rounded off, usually down, before being given to you to pay. Free fruit and liquors/brandy at the end were another must-do (less so now) by the owners. So, it was viewed as offensive if you tried to leave more money (i.e. a tip) because it suggested something like you were better/wealthier and acting as if you were giving money to a beggar or someone who needed the money.

So tipping was not the cultural norm.

Of course now, restaurants, even if family owned, use foreign staff to serve and, like everywhere else, they are not paid highly.

So be as generous as you feel the staff deserve and that you can afford. :)



I thought you just drank baby blood.......... :o hic


Is that a Turkish cocktail?
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: tips in restaurants

Postby cypriotnado » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:01 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
cypriotnado wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:It used to be that all restaurants were family owned. And people usually went to restaurants whose owners they knew. The habit was that the bill was rounded off, usually down, before being given to you to pay. Free fruit and liquors/brandy at the end were another must-do (less so now) by the owners. So, it was viewed as offensive if you tried to leave more money (i.e. a tip) because it suggested something like you were better/wealthier and acting as if you were giving money to a beggar or someone who needed the money.

So tipping was not the cultural norm.

Of course now, restaurants, even if family owned, use foreign staff to serve and, like everywhere else, they are not paid highly.

So be as generous as you feel the staff deserve and that you can afford. :)



I thought you just drank baby blood.......... :o hic





Is that a Turkish cocktail?




Only when mixed with RAKI
User avatar
cypriotnado
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:15 pm


Return to Cyprus Questions and Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests