The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Postby Paphitis » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:36 pm

All things point to Crimea I'm afraid. :D
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Postby cypriotnado » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:15 am

Germany and France are seeking agreement to use Turkish bases for operations
User avatar
cypriotnado
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Postby Tim Drayton » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:13 am

Joking apart, as the late Gunter Grass said in an interview shortly before he passed away:

Grass also discussed the rise of tensions between the West and Russia, saying Russia's long history of occupations needed to be taken into account.

"There are Russian traumas, since Napoleon, since World War II, with 27 million dead when the Germans arrived... and now the fear of being surrounded by the enemy has returned to it," he said.

"I don't say that this justifies what they did in Crimea, its unjustifiable, but we need to understand it and that is what we have to do, understand Russia," he added.


http://news.yahoo.com/gunter-grass-warn ... 56625.html

I think the West needs to understand Russia’s concerns and back off a bit. We need good relations with Russia. I don’t want to see a return to the Cold War, let alone World War III. In fact, it is precisely this kind of siege mentality that some of the West’s actions are helping to create that makes the Russian people rally around a dictator like Putin.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Postby cypriotnado » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:21 am

Tim Drayton wrote:Joking apart, as the late Gunter Grass said in an interview shortly before he passed away:

Grass also discussed the rise of tensions between the West and Russia, saying Russia's long history of occupations needed to be taken into account.

"There are Russian traumas, since Napoleon, since World War II, with 27 million dead when the Germans arrived... and now the fear of being surrounded by the enemy has returned to it," he said.

"I don't say that this justifies what they did in Crimea, its unjustifiable, but we need to understand it and that is what we have to do, understand Russia," he added.


http://news.yahoo.com/gunter-grass-warn ... 56625.html

I think the West needs to understand Russia’s concerns and back off a bit. We need good relations with Russia. I don’t want to see a return to the Cold War, let alone World War III. In fact, it is precisely this kind of siege mentality that some of the West’s actions are helping to create that makes the Russian people rally around a dictator like Putin.


Agreed, but I think the new cold war has started!

Interesting article from Alper Ali Riza in the Cyprus mail.... although alot of the freaks and facists on this forum dislike him

http://cyprus-mail.com/2015/12/02/the-b ... big-bully/
User avatar
cypriotnado
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Postby Lordo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:30 am

it seems montenegro is the next country to join nato. putton will not like this.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Postby Tim Drayton » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:33 am

cypriotnado wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:Joking apart, as the late Gunter Grass said in an interview shortly before he passed away:

Grass also discussed the rise of tensions between the West and Russia, saying Russia's long history of occupations needed to be taken into account.

"There are Russian traumas, since Napoleon, since World War II, with 27 million dead when the Germans arrived... and now the fear of being surrounded by the enemy has returned to it," he said.

"I don't say that this justifies what they did in Crimea, its unjustifiable, but we need to understand it and that is what we have to do, understand Russia," he added.


http://news.yahoo.com/gunter-grass-warn ... 56625.html

I think the West needs to understand Russia’s concerns and back off a bit. We need good relations with Russia. I don’t want to see a return to the Cold War, let alone World War III. In fact, it is precisely this kind of siege mentality that some of the West’s actions are helping to create that makes the Russian people rally around a dictator like Putin.


Agreed, but I think the new cold war has started!

Interesting article from Alper Ali Riza in the Cyprus mail.... although alot of the freaks and facists on this forum dislike him

http://cyprus-mail.com/2015/12/02/the-b ... big-bully/


I think Alper Ali Riza has hit the nail on the head, as usual. His comment that NATO is less likely to come to the aid of an Islamist Turkey and that Putin realises this is interesting and contentious, but if so, this is less a new cold war and more another Russo-Turkish war in the making (of which there have been plenty: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... rkish_wars ).
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Postby cypriotnado » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:40 am

Absolutely but I do think it is the start of a new cold war. Look at all the sanctions, the constant airspace infringements not just in Turkey and all the rhetoric. Despite some moves ie the french ( nothing new they did the same during the last cold war) little has changed. The Russians are blaming the Americans in part for the Russian jet downing saying that they had given all info to the US abt flight paths. The US denies this and it goes on. For the moment Nato et al are sticking with Erdogan. Perhaps it will slow things down or lead to some kind of awakening in the AK party that they cannot go as far as they would like. I thought The Turkish PMs visit to the North interesting and perhaps a sign of a willingness to compromise. I think the EU/Turkey summit despite all the put downs on this forum was a big deal for Turkey
User avatar
cypriotnado
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Postby cypriotnado » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:22 pm

User avatar
cypriotnado
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Postby Lordo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:48 pm

america has no problem with supporting and protecting very religious countries. the issue is not their belief, its whether they support america in their interests. so long as erdogan policy does not change regarding serving america he has nothing to fear.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Crimea should be a NATO base by next Christmas

Postby Tim Drayton » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Lordo wrote:america has no problem with supporting and protecting very religious countries. the issue is not their belief, its whether they support america in their interests. so long as erdogan policy does not change regarding serving america he has nothing to fear.


I believe that global capital, having made large investments in manufacturing plant in Turkey, wants somebody in power they it can trust to look after its interests. And it appears that Erdoğan and his AKP are still the people they trust to do that. They don't care about a drift in the direction of islamofascism as long as their interests are protected. The main Western powers act as the proxies of global capital under globalised capitalism. So, by and large, I agree.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Next

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest