The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Postby Paphitis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:56 pm

miltiades wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:
miltiades wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:I view the prospect with trepidation. We are witnessing a new type of populist politician who appears able to speak to the average, poorly educated person in their own terms and play on their fears and prejudices, and succeed politically through this. There is widespread disillusionment with the political class and disengagement from conventional politics which is feeding this trend. We already see it in the likes of Erdoğan and Putin, and with less success so far in Farage in the UK. The National Front got about a third of the vote in recent local elections in France. I fear that we are returning to the 1930's with its Hitlers, Stalins, Francos and Mussolinis. The world was in economic crisis then, too, and I believe that this is also ultimately a reaction to the mess the world is in.

A very good analysis Tim.


Thanks. I probably come at things further from the left than you do. I respect everyone's opinion, though, as long as they are not condoning atrocities.


"Centre" views, occasionaly more to the right. I staunchly support the Western world on occasions though I do not allow myself to blindly follow a policy that I consider naive and unrealistic such as the insistence of the West, including Turkey, that Assad must go.
I ask my self in this case the following.

Everyone must agree that the ultimate goal is to bring about peace and stability in Syria for the sake of the Syrians and Europe also that is having to take in many thousands of refugees fleeing the war torn country. I ask my self this, who will replace Assad, a democrat, a benovelent dictator or an absolute ruler / dictator such as Assad.
The answer I come up with is more likely a ruthless dictator, with various waring fractions jostling for power and in the process creating many more victims and refugees.

I support the Russian position thus far as the more likely scenario for an end to the war and not that of either Turkey or the West that, in my opinion, will lead to further extension of the conflict.


Oeace and stability for the sake of Syrians you say. Yes we all want that.

But peace and stability you won't get with Assad and all the Sunnis out in the cold like before, not to mention Kurds, Assyrians, Turkmen and Christians.

And the West is unable to cooperate with Pootin because there is too much bad blood between us. We have already been bitten in Ukraine, and we don't see eye to eye because Pootin is bombing ALL opposition forces. He has bombed DAESH the least of all of them.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Postby Paphitis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Linichka wrote:Hillary Clinton is surely the only viable candidate.
Trump is only lead clown in the Republican lineup of fools, buffoons and other mortal embarrassments to Americans with even a modicum of sense.

I didn't think the Republicans could produce worse than 2012's lineup, but they have already well surpassed it.


I am hoping the Republicans do Trump over because he is a major embarrassment. America can't afford Trump because if he succeeds their major allies will need to reassess the level of cooperation.

The Presidency of the USA is a big responsibility.

I'm not in favour of Hillary but I expect a Hillary Vs Bush show down. We need Bush back at the helm fast! I never thought I'd say it, but Goerge W Bush was the last time there was a leader in the USA! It must have been his team of Romney, Chenney, Rice, and Powell!
Last edited by Paphitis on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Postby miltiades » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Paphitis wrote:
miltiades wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:
miltiades wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:I view the prospect with trepidation. We are witnessing a new type of populist politician who appears able to speak to the average, poorly educated person in their own terms and play on their fears and prejudices, and succeed politically through this. There is widespread disillusionment with the political class and disengagement from conventional politics which is feeding this trend. We already see it in the likes of Erdoğan and Putin, and with less success so far in Farage in the UK. The National Front got about a third of the vote in recent local elections in France. I fear that we are returning to the 1930's with its Hitlers, Stalins, Francos and Mussolinis. The world was in economic crisis then, too, and I believe that this is also ultimately a reaction to the mess the world is in.

A very good analysis Tim.


Thanks. I probably come at things further from the left than you do. I respect everyone's opinion, though, as long as they are not condoning atrocities.


"Centre" views, occasionaly more to the right. I staunchly support the Western world on occasions though I do not allow myself to blindly follow a policy that I consider naive and unrealistic such as the insistence of the West, including Turkey, that Assad must go.
I ask my self in this case the following.

Everyone must agree that the ultimate goal is to bring about peace and stability in Syria for the sake of the Syrians and Europe also that is having to take in many thousands of refugees fleeing the war torn country. I ask my self this, who will replace Assad, a democrat, a benovelent dictator or an absolute ruler / dictator such as Assad.
The answer I come up with is more likely a ruthless dictator, with various waring fractions jostling for power and in the process creating many more victims and refugees.

I support the Russian position thus far as the more likely scenario for an end to the war and not that of either Turkey or the West that, in my opinion, will lead to further extension of the conflict.


Oeace and stability for the sake of Syrians you say. Yes we all want that.

But peace and stability you won't get with Assad and all the Sunnis out in the cold like before, not to mention Kurds, Assyrians, Turkmen and Christians.

And the West is unable to cooperate with Pootin because there is too much bad blood between us. We have already been bitten in Ukraine, and we don't see eye to eye because Pootin is bombing ALL opposition forces. He has bombed DAESH the least of all of them.

Your opinion, not that of the West.
In the meantime : Putin vows 'extremely tough' action on Syria threats.
" President Vladimir Putin has ordered the Russian military to take "extremely tough" action against any threat to its forces in Syria.

Such targets must be "immediately destroyed", he told defence officials in televised comments."

" Russia 'now supports FSA'

Russia began air strikes in Syria in September, at the request of its ally President Bashar al-Assad.

In an update on Russian operations, Mr Putin said the military was now supporting Free Syrian Army (FSA) forces."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe- ... ws_central

Back on Donald now.
"Donald Trump's Popularity Soars Amid Row Over Anti-Muslim Rhetoric"

"Washington: The popularity rating of controversial US presidential candidate Donald Trump continues to soar even though he is facing a global backlash for his call for a ban on the entry of Muslims into the country."
http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/donald-t ... ic-1253275
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16332
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Postby Zenon33 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Maybe the republican nomenee but president, well it'll be more difficult.
In my opinion, he's better than Hillary and all democratic candidates.
User avatar
Zenon33
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:49 pm
Location: Limassol, Cyprus

Re: Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Linichka wrote:Hillary Clinton is surely the only viable candidate.
Trump is only lead clown in the Republican lineup of fools, buffoons and other mortal embarrassments to Americans with even a modicum of sense.

I didn't think the Republicans could produce worse than 2012's lineup, but they have already well surpassed it.


I am hoping the Republicans do Trump over because he is a major embarrassment. America can't afford Trump because if he succeeds their major allies will need to reassess the level of cooperation.

The Presidency of the USA is a big responsibility.

I'm not in favour of Hillary but I expect a Hillary Vs Bush show down. We need Bush back at the helm fast! I never thought I'd say it, but Goerge W Bush was the last time there was a leader in the USA! It must have been his team of Romney, Chenney, Rice, and Powell!


I think the world is suffering big time now thanks to the Bush-Blair fiasco in Iraq. I am always happy to see dictators fall, and Saddam Hussein deserved to go, but dictators need to be toppled by their own people in popular revolts. The Bush-Blair war had another agenda. The problem was that they had no workable plan for a post-Saddam Iraq and instead Malaki alienated the Sunni population with disastrous results.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Postby Paphitis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:17 pm

We've seen this "tough action" and tough talk from tough guy Pootin before.

Who does he think he is kidding? The guy is a laughing stock. We know he will never touch us no matter how much of a threat we pose to him. He won't even touch Turkey.

The guy is a chook that just mouths off too much!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Postby Paphitis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:20 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Linichka wrote:Hillary Clinton is surely the only viable candidate.
Trump is only lead clown in the Republican lineup of fools, buffoons and other mortal embarrassments to Americans with even a modicum of sense.

I didn't think the Republicans could produce worse than 2012's lineup, but they have already well surpassed it.


I am hoping the Republicans do Trump over because he is a major embarrassment. America can't afford Trump because if he succeeds their major allies will need to reassess the level of cooperation.

The Presidency of the USA is a big responsibility.

I'm not in favour of Hillary but I expect a Hillary Vs Bush show down. We need Bush back at the helm fast! I never thought I'd say it, but Goerge W Bush was the last time there was a leader in the USA! It must have been his team of Romney, Chenney, Rice, and Powell!


I think the world is suffering big time now thanks to the Bush-Blair fiasco in Iraq. I am always happy to see dictators fall, and Saddam Hussein deserved to go, but dictators need to be toppled by their own people in popular revolts. The Bush-Blair war had another agenda. The problem was that they had no workable plan for a post-Saddam Iraq and instead Malaki alienated the Sunni population with disastrous results.


This is what you're getting in Syria Tim. It was started by the people and Assad turned it into an all out civil war. Now we have over 50 militias in the country most of which want Assad's Head and not all of them are Jihadists or exceptionally radical Islamists.

This is what happens when millions live on the fringes with no hope!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Postby miltiades » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:31 pm

" The world's most popular politicians: Putin's approval rating hits 86%
The Russian president's approval ratings continue to rise "
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 75063.html
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16332
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Postby Paphitis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:37 pm

miltiades wrote:" The world's most popular politicians: Putin's approval rating hits 86%
The Russian president's approval ratings continue to rise "
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 75063.html


That's because there is no opposition because they're all afraid of getting whacked!

http://news.sky.com/story/1437519/the-p ... sassinated





User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Donald Trump the next USA President ??

Postby Kikapu » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:57 pm

miltiades wrote:" President Vladimir Putin has ordered the Russian military to take "extremely tough" action against any threat to its forces in Syria.

Such targets must be "immediately destroyed", he told defence officials in televised comments."


This message is meant for Erdogan, I'm sure.

The indirect message to Erdogan from Putin is; "lets see if you have the balls to come anywhere near my jets again or even cross the Syria-Turkey border with your jets and see what awaits for you, and further more, once you lose few jets and then you want to close the straits because you feel threatened, I want to see if you have anymore balls left to stop my Navy ships passing through it. Go ahead punk, make my day"! :wink:
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13541
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests