The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Religion is advice...

Ask any specific question related to Cyprus.

Religion is advice...

Postby tsukoui » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:00 pm

On my dating profile it says that I am "spiritual but not religious". "Religion is advice" as Sheikh Nazim was so fond of saying. I am not bragging about my spirituality alla I can be accepted by Muslims (true Muslims that is) as one of their own, this despite being a communist and failing to do every ritual advised by those with so called religious authority except maybe praying from time to time. In fact my whole life is a prayer as is yours, so in my opinion even this is not necessary. I have no problem understanding the Quran dialectically as a spiritual guide. Neither it seems do the Naqshbandi judging by this video which I urge those wishing to position themselves against Islam to watch: http://saltanat.org/videopage.php?id=14825 although it is their opinion that the best way to reach a higher spiritual station is to follow the advice of traditional Islam to the letter, something even they admit is an impossible task. More power to them, they do not try to force others to do the same, only offer them their experience as something to emulate. As I said I have no problem understanding the Quran dialectically, however their is one point with which I question the Naqshbandi's and that is this business of the "seal of prophets". What does it mean. Two recent (19th Century) Muslim figures who interpreted this radically are Bahá'u'lláh of Persia (now Iran) who founded the Baha'i Faith and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad who founded the Ahmadiyya movement in British India. Both claimed to have reached the station of Mohammad (pbuh), something the Naqshbandi's claim is impossible. In other words both claimed to be prophets coming after the "seal of prophets". Their followers are persecuted in their home countries, alla whilst I would never claim to be a prophet, except in the privacy of my own head and under the influence of my ego, this radical interpretation is to my mind very important. The world is infinite dimensional and the notion that we cannot surpass Mohammad (pbuh) in any given dimension is false, this is just mathematics, every set can be well-ordered assuming the axiom of choice and there are infinitely many such orderings, however since choice is an assumption every hierarchy is ultimately an illusion. There is no problem with working with illusions, it is good to have something to aim for, to set up a hierarchy, and aiming to love Mohammad is definitely something worthwhile. One can do that even being Orthodox Christian, for love is the central teaching of Christ. However the personal hierarchy of an individual is up to them and their God to set up, this is the lesson if not the teaching of Bahá'u'lláh and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad and all religious people would do well to absorb it.
tsukoui
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Re: Religion is advice...

Postby kurupetos » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:59 pm

:lol: Religion is something fake, a form of philosophy. :roll: Therefore it's something rather useless. :wink:

The Christian faith is not a religion because it's much deeper than that, since it's based on facts and true evidence. You can only understand it if you begin living it. :wink:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17911
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Religion is advice...

Postby ioann » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:06 pm

kurupetos wrote::lol: Religion is something fake, a form of philosophy. :roll: Therefore it's something rather useless. :wink:

The Christian faith is not a religion because it's much deeper than that, since it's based on facts and true evidence. You can only understand it if you begin living it. :wink:


All truly religious people think that their own religion is based on true evidence and everything else is fake ;)
ioann
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Religion is advice...

Postby apc2010 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:29 pm

Should this be in the joke section...????
User avatar
apc2010
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2522
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: Religion is advice...

Postby Lordo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:30 am

kurupetos wrote::lol: Religion is something fake, a form of philosophy. :roll: Therefore it's something rather useless. :wink:

The Christian faith is not a religion because it's much deeper than that, since it's based on facts and true evidence. You can only understand it if you begin living it. :wink:

facts you say.
so you reckon jesus fed 5000 males and their families with two fish and a five loaves of bread.
oh and jesus was not josephs son he was gods son.
oh and mary was a virgin.
have you any idea what they would have done to mary if she had a baby out of wedlock.
shall i continue.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Religion is advice...

Postby Lordo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:38 am

what does this mean:

jesus was gender fluid
does it mean he was a hermaphrodite.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Religion is advice...

Postby DrCyprus » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:46 am

Lordo wrote:what does this mean:

jesus was gender fluid
does it mean he was a hermaphrodite.


You believe in genies...
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Re: Religion is advice...

Postby kurupetos » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:34 pm

ioann wrote:
kurupetos wrote::lol: Religion is something fake, a form of philosophy. :roll: Therefore it's something rather useless. :wink:

The Christian faith is not a religion because it's much deeper than that, since it's based on facts and true evidence. You can only understand it if you begin living it. :wink:


All truly religious people think that their own religion is based on true evidence and everything else is fake ;)

Correct, but irrelevant to my post, goblin#2. :roll:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17911
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Religion is advice...

Postby kurupetos » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Lordo wrote:
kurupetos wrote::lol: Religion is something fake, a form of philosophy. :roll: Therefore it's something rather useless. :wink:

The Christian faith is not a religion because it's much deeper than that, since it's based on facts and true evidence. You can only understand it if you begin living it. :wink:

facts you say.
so you reckon jesus fed 5000 males and their families with two fish and a five loaves of bread.
oh and jesus was not josephs son he was gods son.
oh and mary was a virgin.
have you any idea what they would have done to mary if she had a baby out of wedlock.
shall i continue.

If you don't want to believe this, it's your right, kuz. :wink:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17911
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Religion is advice...

Postby Lordo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:17 pm

kurupetos wrote:
Lordo wrote:
kurupetos wrote::lol: Religion is something fake, a form of philosophy. :roll: Therefore it's something rather useless. :wink:

The Christian faith is not a religion because it's much deeper than that, since it's based on facts and true evidence. You can only understand it if you begin living it. :wink:

facts you say.
so you reckon jesus fed 5000 males and their families with two fish and a five loaves of bread.
oh and jesus was not josephs son he was gods son.
oh and mary was a virgin.
have you any idea what they would have done to mary if she had a baby out of wedlock.
shall i continue.

If you don't want to believe this, it's your right, kuz. :wink:

where is the proof. did a medical doctor examine virgin mary for instance. is there any evidence that he fed all those people with 2 fish and five loves. just bevasue it says so in the bible it aint necesarily so. say it aint so
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Next

Return to Cyprus Questions and Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests