The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Work and other bits

Ask any specific question related to Cyprus.

Work and other bits

Postby charliem431 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi all, hope everyone had a nice Christmas. I am just posting as I plan to move locally to Paphos within the next six months with my family. The three main questions are;

1) How hard is it going to be for me to find a job? I am 22 years, specialise in computer support and only speak English (for now). Are there any IT support jobs around the area? I will be learning Greek but would I need to be fluent first?

2) Are weight-lifting gyms far and few? I would expect some in the built up areas but out of town?

3) FOOTBALL. My one true passion. Now being a fairly average player I would expect weekend teams to be my first point of call. Is this as it is in England? As in training during the week, match on the weekend? Or are there only semi pro/pro clubs in Cyprus?

If you can answer any of these I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance!
charliem431
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Re: Work and other bits

Postby DrCyprus » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:46 pm

charliem431 wrote:Hi all, hope everyone had a nice Christmas. I am just posting as I plan to move locally to Paphos within the next six months with my family. The three main questions are;

1) How hard is it going to be for me to find a job? I am 22 years, specialise in computer support and only speak English (for now). Are there any IT support jobs around the area? I will be learning Greek but would I need to be fluent first?


There are computer support shops operated by expats that you can check in to see if they can offer you a job, but in Paphos if you can´t speak Greek and you are a young person it´s easier to find a job in a hotel or a restaurant.

charliem431 wrote:2) Are weight-lifting gyms far and few? I would expect some in the built up areas but out of town?


You will find tons of gyms in every corner of the city of Paphos. They are very popular.

charliem431 wrote:3) FOOTBALL. My one true passion. Now being a fairly average player I would expect weekend teams to be my first point of call. Is this as it is in England? As in training during the week, match on the weekend? Or are there only semi pro/pro clubs in Cyprus?


Football is extremely popular in Cyprus. Expect to find pretty much exactly what you are looking for in little time.

I hope this helps

cheers
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Re: Work and other bits

Postby Get Real! » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:05 pm

charliem431 wrote:1) How hard is it going to be for me to find a job? I am 22 years, specialise in computer support and only speak English (for now). Are there any IT support jobs around the area? I will be learning Greek but would I need to be fluent first?

You should aim for an offshore company where English is the first language and Greek probably not needed. I doubt Cypriot companies would employ you without language skills.

2) Are weight-lifting gyms far and few? I would expect some in the built up areas but out of town?

Plenty in major towns but I doubt in villages... :lol:

3) FOOTBALL. My one true passion. Now being a fairly average player I would expect weekend teams to be my first point of call. Is this as it is in England? As in training during the week, match on the weekend? Or are there only semi pro/pro clubs in Cyprus?

There's everything here. The top two divisions are pros and the rest amateurs. There should also be some British only clubs.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Work and other bits

Postby kurupetos » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:30 pm

All easy, except 1). Maybe you could try self-employment.

BTW, I hope you are not a Londoner. I hate Londoners. :mrgreen:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17911
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Work and other bits

Postby Lordo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:48 pm

if you have to work for others i would not move to southern cyprus. you will regret it. you will end up returning back to uk. only retired and wealthy people can have a chance there. you will find racism intolerable.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Work and other bits

Postby charliem431 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:32 pm

DrCyprus wrote:
charliem431 wrote:Hi all, hope everyone had a nice Christmas. I am just posting as I plan to move locally to Paphos within the next six months with my family. The three main questions are;

1) How hard is it going to be for me to find a job? I am 22 years, specialise in computer support and only speak English (for now). Are there any IT support jobs around the area? I will be learning Greek but would I need to be fluent first?


There are computer support shops operated by expats that you can check in to see if they can offer you a job, but in Paphos if you can´t speak Greek and you are a young person it´s easier to find a job in a hotel or a restaurant.

charliem431 wrote:2) Are weight-lifting gyms far and few? I would expect some in the built up areas but out of town?


You will find tons of gyms in every corner of the city of Paphos. They are very popular.

charliem431 wrote:3) FOOTBALL. My one true passion. Now being a fairly average player I would expect weekend teams to be my first point of call. Is this as it is in England? As in training during the week, match on the weekend? Or are there only semi pro/pro clubs in Cyprus?


Football is extremely popular in Cyprus. Expect to find pretty much exactly what you are looking for in little time.

I hope this helps

cheers


@DrCyprus Thanks for your reply, you have been very helpful :D
charliem431
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Re: Work and other bits

Postby charliem431 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:35 pm

kurupetos wrote:All easy, except 1). Maybe you could try self-employment.

BTW, I hope you are not a Londoner. I hate Londoners. :mrgreen:


@kurupetos I have thought about it, might be worth setting up within the ex-pat community but we'll see! BTW, I'm from the outskirts of London where people are far more laid back and tolerable. I'm assuming the arrogance of the London folk is the catalyst of your hatred - us outside are far more patient and caring, please do not worry :)
charliem431
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Re: Work and other bits

Postby charliem431 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:42 pm

Lordo wrote:if you have to work for others i would not move to southern cyprus. you will regret it. you will end up returning back to uk. only retired and wealthy people can have a chance there. you will find racism intolerable.


@Lordo Thanks for your post. I believe (or hope!) that my skillset will be suitable for work there, I just think I need to know more of the language before trying for a job than originally thought. Racism as an issue never really crossed my mind if I'm honest. How bad is it? I don't think I'm blatantly English, I have dark hair and tan very quickly, however I'm sure a local would be able to spot me from a mile away. Thanks for your input, I will take it into consideration. It was only going to be a six month trial to see how life is out there, if we like it we stay, if not, back to home soil.
charliem431
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Re: Work and other bits

Postby RichardB » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:55 pm

charliem431 wrote:
Lordo wrote:if you have to work for others i would not move to southern cyprus. you will regret it. you will end up returning back to uk. only retired and wealthy people can have a chance there. you will find racism intolerable.


@Lordo Thanks for your post. I believe (or hope!) that my skillset will be suitable for work there, I just think I need to know more of the language before trying for a job than originally thought. Racism as an issue never really crossed my mind if I'm honest. How bad is it? I don't think I'm blatantly English, I have dark hair and tan very quickly, however I'm sure a local would be able to spot me from a mile away. Thanks for your input, I will take it into consideration. It was only going to be a six month trial to see how life is out there, if we like it we stay, if not, back to home soil.


Charlie ignore Lordo he hasn't got a chip on his shoulder.. More of a sack of spuds.. Racism in Cyprus is no worse than any other European country.. Get over, enjoy the experience.. With the right attitude you,'ll be fine
User avatar
RichardB
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: Blackpool/Lefkosia

Re: Work and other bits

Postby Tim Drayton » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:07 pm

Unemployment is at chronic levels in Cyprus at the moment, and I do not think you would find it easy to get a job here, especially in a backwater part of the country like Paphos.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Next

Return to Cyprus Questions and Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests