The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby supporttheunderdog » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:06 am

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
supporttheunderdog wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:All's well that ends well and very well done to the Cypriot negotiators for another peaceful and safe outcome! :D

- I see the ice-cold impotent British media has gone into hyper-meltdown on hearing a satirical comment by President Anastasiades who dared to mention the involvement of 'a woman'. :lol:


Well done our President. 8)


Can you provide some links to the British media in hyper melt down? I so love a good laugh but apart from one item in Metro, alleging outrage, while the alleged satirical remark has been quoted from a brief review while working it so far seems to have attracted little comment...


Oh did the Metro have something too?

People are upset about the Cypriot president’s comments about women


Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/29/people-ar ... z44IpjdMMm

That about sums up the attitude at the time it was ongoing but they probably feel foolish now.

I listened to the BBC trying to stir it up as *inappropriate* (quoted media, 'casual sexism' etc) until later the lovely lady from the Egyptian Foreign Office put them in their place clarifying that Egyptians love a bit of satire and they didn't think it was an inappropriate remark. She seems to have shut them up. :P


I found this on posted here http://www.thejournal.ie/cypriot-president-woman-sexism-2686367-Mar2016/

‘the head of state is facing the ire of social media users who feel that the comment was inappropriate and sexist’
Translation: 3 people in their 40′s who still live with their parents and spend all day on their computers got offended.


Do you think that an accurate summary?
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8155
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:13 am

supporttheunderdog wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
supporttheunderdog wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:All's well that ends well and very well done to the Cypriot negotiators for another peaceful and safe outcome! :D

- I see the ice-cold impotent British media has gone into hyper-meltdown on hearing a satirical comment by President Anastasiades who dared to mention the involvement of 'a woman'. :lol:


Well done our President. 8)


Can you provide some links to the British media in hyper melt down? I so love a good laugh but apart from one item in Metro, alleging outrage, while the alleged satirical remark has been quoted from a brief review while working it so far seems to have attracted little comment...


Oh did the Metro have something too?

People are upset about the Cypriot president’s comments about women


Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/29/people-ar ... z44IpjdMMm

That about sums up the attitude at the time it was ongoing but they probably feel foolish now.

I listened to the BBC trying to stir it up as *inappropriate* (quoted media, 'casual sexism' etc) until later the lovely lady from the Egyptian Foreign Office put them in their place clarifying that Egyptians love a bit of satire and they didn't think it was an inappropriate remark. She seems to have shut them up. :P


I found this on posted here http://www.thejournal.ie/cypriot-president-woman-sexism-2686367-Mar2016/

‘the head of state is facing the ire of social media users who feel that the comment was inappropriate and sexist’
Translation: 3 people in their 40′s who still live with their parents and spend all day on their computers got offended.


Do you think that an accurate summary?


Not of the present climate. I think the BBC's attempts to stir up some comments were laid to rest by the Egyptian Official. I judge the atmosphere as one of cool respect for the President's human side. :D
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8944
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:19 am

Pyrpolizer wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
Just because he didn't explain himself or his motives until after starting the hijack, it doesn't mean he only 'remembered' once he got to Cyprus.


Yes but it was the pilot who asked permission to land in Cyprus because he run out of fuel.


No, Cyprus was as far as that plane was likely to go as it was making a final internal flight. This wouldn't have been so hard to work out.

Do we now have some conspiracy on us hijacking/kidnapping him and bringing him to Cyprus instead of taking him to Turkey? :P
(See the damage that evil reporter does EVERY time she co-mentions Turkey when Cyprus is involved? )

Anyway, I thought there was also a suggestion he has a child here that he wasn't allowed to see?
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8944
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby Sotos » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:26 am

SigmaLive gave a translation of part of his letter. He was talking about Egypt being undemocratic and having an oppressive regime which is bad for Egyptians... maybe this whole "love story" and that he is just crazy and what he says doesn't make any sense is just a cover up because they didn't want to give any airtime to his views and accusations. Maybe that was his aim... to get the whole world to listen to his views about the Egyptian government... but they didn't let him do it... probably because of our current good relationship with Egypt.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10642
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:27 am

CrookedRiverGuy wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:His ex-wife lives in Orokilini - why would he have initially asked to go to Turkey?


He might not have had a clear view of the extent of the occupation? :wink:


Yes, he didn't have a clear view on anything! But, he must have had an idea Turkey/occupation was the land of the delusional.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8944
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby kurupetos » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:15 am

Sotos wrote:SigmaLive gave a translation of part of his letter. He was talking about Egypt being undemocratic and having an oppressive regime which is bad for Egyptians... maybe this whole "love story" and that he is just crazy and what he says doesn't make any sense is just a cover up because they didn't want to give any airtime to his views and accusations. Maybe that was his aim... to get the whole world to listen to his views about the Egyptian government... but they didn't let him do it... probably because of our current good relationship with Egypt.

One could wonder... when was Egypt democratic? :?
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17885
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby Sotos » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:19 pm

kurupetos wrote:
Sotos wrote:SigmaLive gave a translation of part of his letter. He was talking about Egypt being undemocratic and having an oppressive regime which is bad for Egyptians... maybe this whole "love story" and that he is just crazy and what he says doesn't make any sense is just a cover up because they didn't want to give any airtime to his views and accusations. Maybe that was his aim... to get the whole world to listen to his views about the Egyptian government... but they didn't let him do it... probably because of our current good relationship with Egypt.

One could wonder... when was Egypt democratic? :?


It is now confirmed that his motives were political. In his 4 page document he talks about the situation in Egypt and he asks from Western governments not to support the current Egyptian government. His letter had nothing to do with his ex-wife... the whole story had nothing to do with a "love story". Our government simply didn't want all these to be broadcast at a time when the whole world was tuned in and listening because the current Egyptian government is our friends. The truth will come out later gradually... but at that point nearly nobody will care about this because it would be old news... not "breaking news" that goes on for hours in all major channels.
http://www.sigmalive.com/news/local/320 ... eropeirati
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10642
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby Bassman63 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:28 pm

kurupetos wrote:
Sotos wrote:SigmaLive gave a translation of part of his letter. He was talking about Egypt being undemocratic and having an oppressive regime which is bad for Egyptians... maybe this whole "love story" and that he is just crazy and what he says doesn't make any sense is just a cover up because they didn't want to give any airtime to his views and accusations. Maybe that was his aim... to get the whole world to listen to his views about the Egyptian government... but they didn't let him do it... probably because of our current good relationship with Egypt.

One could wonder... when was Egypt democratic? :?


When was any muslin/arab country democratic?
Bassman63
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:00 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby Cap » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:43 pm

I don't think this idiot realized how close he was from being executed.
Surrounded by snipers and face to face with an armored vehicle just after exiting the plane.


Image
User avatar
Cap
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Cypriot Empire

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby DrCyprus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:05 pm

This is no love story. The man is an oppressive abusive criminal bastard.
DrCyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests