The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Schengen in August?

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Schengen in August?

Postby repulsewarrior » Wed May 04, 2016 12:44 am

...is this true? Cyprus will join the Schengen Treaty late summer.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Schengen in August?

Postby supporttheunderdog » Wed May 04, 2016 6:49 am

There is a possibility, as Cyprus is obliged to join at some point, and the Police, who perform border controls, are training people according to Schengen Requirements.

There were two issues for Cyprus, the "Green Line" which is effectively a part of the external border due to the illegal occupation of the Northern part of the Republic by Turkish Military Forces which prevents application of the Aquis and proper control by the ROC in the occupied zone, and the SBA, which while created by treaty and thus legal should likewise be abolished, as a part of a comprehensive settlement.

I do not know how these issues have been resolved. For the Green line that might involve monitoring all peoples entering and recording them , even EU citizens, as that is or will be a schengen requirement, that everybody entering Schengen is properly checked. If they are not, and that is where Greece went wrong, Cyprus might be found to be seriously deficient.
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8191
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Schengen in August?

Postby CBBB » Wed May 04, 2016 7:48 am

supporttheunderdog wrote:There is a possibility, as Cyprus is obliged to join at some point, and the Police, who perform border controls, are training people according to Schengen Requirements.

There were two issues for Cyprus, the "Green Line" which is effectively a part of the external border due to the illegal occupation of the Northern part of the Republic by Turkish Military Forces which prevents application of the Aquis and proper control by the ROC in the occupied zone, and the SBA, which while created by treaty and thus legal should likewise be abolished, as a part of a comprehensive settlement.

I do not know how these issues have been resolved. For the Green line that might involve monitoring all peoples entering and recording them , even EU citizens, as that is or will be a schengen requirement, that everybody entering Schengen is properly checked. If they are not, and that is where Greece went wrong, Cyprus might be found to be seriously deficient.


I am not sure about this, the only reference I can find is this https://www.kiprinform.com/en/cyprus_bs ... ghen-zone/

From the comments on the site it appears it is of great interest to Asian students here, I wonder why?
User avatar
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: Schengen in August?

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Wed May 04, 2016 9:04 am

supporttheunderdog wrote: If they are not, and that is where Greece went wrong, Cyprus might be found to be seriously deficient.


Where it 'went wrong' in Greece was in the areas that were a JOINT and SHARED EU responsibility co-ordinated by (a non-transparent) Frontex.

That is why NATO has been called in whilst Frontex receives a major overhaul (more accountability, more member-state contributions, codes of conduct change etc) and a NEW additional Border and Coast Guard Agency is created.

The new Agency won't be fully operational till November at least - it's more likely things will get tighter not easier at borders whether you need a visa or not.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Schengen in August?

Postby erolz66 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:55 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:Where it 'went wrong' in Greece was in the areas that were a JOINT and SHARED EU responsibility co-ordinated by (a non-transparent) Frontex.


Where as back in the real world and as backed up by the hardest of possible evidence, the EU's Schengen Evaluation report on Greece concluded that

Greece is seriously neglecting its obligations and that there are serious deficiencies in the carrying out of external border controls that must be overcome and dealt with by the Greek authorities.


Those are the exact verbatim words of the EU commission themselves. As a result of this report the EU Council then passed an implementing decision that laid out 49 specific things that Greece needed to do to rectify it being found to be seriously neglecting its obligations and a three month deadline was placed by this implementing decision of the EU council on Greece to achieve this. All you months of distortion, distraction , deception, lies and insults has not change this reality one iota.

For the record correcting, once more, your months and months of blatant lies and distortion is not trolling. You repeating the same distortions over and over, even after they have been shown to be such beyond any possible doubt, in thread after thread, that is trolling.
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Schengen in August?

Postby supporttheunderdog » Wed May 04, 2016 5:03 pm

CBBB wrote:
supporttheunderdog wrote:There is a possibility, as Cyprus is obliged to join at some point, and the Police, who perform border controls, are training people according to Schengen Requirements.

There were two issues for Cyprus, the "Green Line" which is effectively a part of the external border due to the illegal occupation of the Northern part of the Republic by Turkish Military Forces which prevents application of the Aquis and proper control by the ROC in the occupied zone, and the SBA, which while created by treaty and thus legal should likewise be abolished, as a part of a comprehensive settlement.

I do not know how these issues have been resolved. For the Green line that might involve monitoring all peoples entering and recording them , even EU citizens, as that is or will be a schengen requirement, that everybody entering Schengen is properly checked. If they are not, and that is where Greece went wrong, Cyprus might be found to be seriously deficient.


I am not sure about this, the only reference I can find is this https://www.kiprinform.com/en/cyprus_bs ... ghen-zone/

From the comments on the site it appears it is of great interest to Asian students here, I wonder why?


I wonder too :D :D

Property sites are the main commentators - see also Wikepedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area#Prospective_members
Although Cyprus, which joined the EU in 2004, is legally bound to join the Schengen Area, implementation has been delayed because of the Cyprus dispute. According to former Cypriot Minister of Foreign Affairs Giorgos Lillikas, "strict and full control based on Schengen will create a huge tribulation on a daily basis for the Turkish Cypriots", and it is unclear if this control is possible before the resolution of the dispute.[41] The Sovereign Base Areas, which are outside the EU, will also need "other handling and mechanisms".[41] As of March 2011 no date has been fixed for implementation of the Schengen rules by Cyprus.[42]


The problem with the SBA is particularly with Ay Nik where the entry point to the occupied zone is on the SBA and consequently not controlled by the ROC, but there are no controls between the SBA and ROC, and where the Schengen Status of the SBA is uncertain.

Another reason for the SBA to go and for the territory to be come a part of the ROC.

(If Schengen survives) It will happen, it is case of when.
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8191
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Schengen in August?

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Wed May 04, 2016 5:30 pm

erolz66 wrote: EU's Schengen Evaluation report on Greece concluded that

Greece is seriously neglecting its obligations and that there are serious deficiencies in the carrying out of external border controls that must be overcome and dealt with by the Greek authorities.
.


What foundationless nonsense.

"there are serious deficiencies in the carrying out of external border controls" - the use of the passive is key! External border controls are Frontex's domain.

All that's suggesting is that Greece might be obligated to kick Frontex up the backside for failing to manage the EU's external borders effectively (we know that because Frontex has received an almighty big kick).

And, the Greek authorities should exercise their authority and demand other EU members fulfill their obligations to the shared management of the EU external border (we know that because a few have heeded and are now sharing!).

Every day, you must be hating it so much that Greece is now in control of so much EU power ...
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Schengen in August?

Postby erolz66 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:52 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
erolz66 wrote: EU's Schengen Evaluation report on Greece concluded that

Greece is seriously neglecting its obligations and that there are serious deficiencies in the carrying out of external border controls that must be overcome and dealt with by the Greek authorities.
.


What foundationless nonsense.

"there are serious deficiencies in the carrying out of external border controls" - the use of the passive is key! External border controls are Frontex's domain.


There is what you claim and then there is what the EU itself has officially and publicly said the Evaluation report on Greece concluded. One of these is indeed 'foundationless[sic] nonsense'.

GreekIslandGirl wrote:All that's suggesting is that Greece might be obligated to kick Frontex up the backside for failing to manage the EU's external borders effectively (we know that because Frontex has received an almighty big kick).

And, the Greek authorities should exercise their authority and demand other EU members fulfill their obligations to the shared management of the EU external border (we know that because a few have heeded and are now sharing!).


Yeah right which is why Greece and ONLY Greece voted against the EU Council Implementing decision of the 12th Feb 2016 and did so whilst officially registering Greece's view http://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/doc ... V-2/en/pdf

Statement by Greece
Greece regrets not to be able to give its consent to the Commission proposal for the Council Recommendation on addressing the “serious” deficiencies identified in the 2015 evaluation on the application of the Schengen acquis in the field of management of the external borders by Greece, i.e. at the land and sea borders with Turkey. Greece wishes to reiterate its position, that the findings of the unannounced evaluation visit carried out from 10 to 13 November 2015 do not constitute “serious deficiencies” and show no evidence that “Greece is seriously neglecting its obligations”.


Month and months and months of lies, distortion and bullshit from you and STILL you pro actively go out of your way to try and repeat the SAME distortions and BS, totally regardless of the overwhelming, unequivocal and undeniable evidence against you. This is what you do, this is what you have always done here on these forums. Reality means nothing to you, in the face of your quasi religious fanatical claims.

GreekIslandGirl wrote: Every day, you must be hating it so much that Greece is now in control of so much EU power ...


Every day, I hate your murdering of and contempt for truth and reality to push your propaganda no less than the day before. You will not stop for this is what you do here, what you have always done here and I will not stop hating it.
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Schengen in August?

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Wed May 04, 2016 6:31 pm

erolz66 wrote:Every day, I hate your murdering of and contempt for truth and reality to push your propaganda ...


The truth and reality are exactly what you deny.

Whilst the reality of more Frontex help for Greece, a new and improved Border and Coastguard Agency to help Greece and even some NATO to help Greece is part of the reality that I predicted would happen from the sane interpretation of the evaluations, you still hope YOUR naive interpretation will come true - which is 'sanctions for Greece' and 'expulsion for Greece'.

But, it's not hard for you to deny reality as you miserably deny the truth of living in an ethnically cleansed area and prospering (directly or indirectly) from the labours of Greek Cypriots. Same old, same old!
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Schengen in August?

Postby erolz66 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:08 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:The truth and reality are exactly what you deny.


The truth is the EU publicly announced the the Evaluation report on Greece concluded that http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-174_en.htm

Greece is seriously neglecting its obligations and that there are serious deficiencies in the carrying out of external border controls that must be overcome and dealt with by the Greek authorities.


That the EU Commission said the evaluation report on Greece concluded this is undeniable absolute fact and yet you have spent months trying to claim this is not true, with distortion and lie after distortion and lie, and you are still doing so. Greece is seriously neglecting its obligations. Not me who said this it but the EU - publicly. Greece is seriously neglecting its obligations.

You have no interest in reality and truth what so ever. This has been proven over and over and over by your own posts and behaviour here for year after year after year and identified as such by member after member on this forum. You can say that it is I that denies reality, that it is I that denies the truth - but as ever what you claim is entirely divorced from reality. I say the EU said what the EU said and prove they said it. You say the EU did not say what the EU said and offer nothing but smoke as evidence and yet you claim I am the one denying reality. This is the 'strength' of your argument. It is pathetic and it is what you have always done here on these forums.
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Next

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests