The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Postby Erwinski » Thu May 05, 2016 9:28 am

Hi all

I'm Erwin, a student of journalism from the Netherslands, based in Ghent, Belgium. I'm now on Cyprus to write my thesis on the Cyprus Problem and the ongoing unification talks. I've been reading some topics here and I see there's a lot of different viewponts, opinions and perspectives around on this forum, which makes it a very interesting pool of people to me.

Therefore I'm interested in people from both sides that have (or know someone who has) any (personal) stories on this matter. Either by being or having been in the army (I would be very interested in personal stories from '74 too), by being into an intercultural relationship or marriage between a Greek- and Turkish-Cypriot, by being part of on (un)official organisation that is somehow involved with this issue, by being affected by the property issie, by having a strong and clear opinion on the matter (nationalistic views from both sides are very welcome too, for example) of by being in any other way involved.

I'm very interested in speaking with you, preferrably in person. Any reaction or tip is welcome tho, either in this topic, by PM, by e-mail ( erwiveen@student.arteveldehs.be ) or by phone: +357-99-027236

Thanks in advance :)

Erwin
Erwinski
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Postby Sotos » Thu May 05, 2016 4:48 pm

One tip: Don't take whatever you are told by the Turks as a fact. If you want to do a proper job you will need to validate the info you get by doing deep research. The Turks are known for creating a totally fictitious propaganda to promote their national interests... not just for Cyprus but for everything else (there was no Armenian genocide, the Kurds are just terrorists etc). And nearly all of them sing the same official tune. The Turks manage to get away with massacring 10s of thousands of people, ethnically cleansing 100s of thousands and occupying foreign to them lands because they are the good friends of the USA. If that wasn't the case then Turkey would had the fate of Iraq or Serbia, and its leaders would be convicted in Hague. But instead of that the West helps this country of terrorism to promote its propaganda lies and label the people it oppresses as "terrorists"... and they want the victims of the Turkish aggression to accept "solutions" that would legalize the crimes of Turkey against them!
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10662
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Postby supporttheunderdog » Thu May 05, 2016 5:24 pm

I would be cautious about taking anything from anyone in either community as true except with a degree of caution as so much has been the subject of myth and brainwashing on both sides, with conspiracy theories abounding, and while they may sincerely believe what they say is true, the belief could be a construct - double check everything and than you might find the reality lies somewhere between. you will no doubt have spotted both extremes here.

Be clear on one thing, the continued Turkish Military Occupation is illegal as is the ethnic cleansing and changing the ethnic make up with thousands of illegal immigrants from mainland Turkey - the Anatolian settlers - do not confuse them with Turkish Speaking Cypriots as if they are Post 74 incomers they have their own particular version of events so they can hang on to stolen land.

I BTW am NOT Cypriot.
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8178
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Postby repulsewarrior » Thu May 05, 2016 6:30 pm

...look for Cypriots, they exist, i like to think of them as the other half, those who are not "Turkish", or not "Greek".

...try Petros Soupouris, or, Koray Basdogrultmaci and Cinel Senem Husseyin; they are Cypriots, for example.

...why not interview Sener Levent, the publisher of Afrika, he can also add to your understanding of the Cyprus Problem?
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7606
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Postby Jerry » Thu May 05, 2016 9:42 pm

I'm a semi Cypriot, GC father, British mother. I tend to support and promote the Greek Cypriot standpoint. Briefly, the Turkish Cypriots have wanted and still want more of Cyprus, in every sense of the word, than their numbers can justify. They are one fifth of the population but occupy 37% of the island and want to keep most of it. Many Greek Cypriots see Cyprus as "Greek" and consider the Turkish Cypriots to be an insignificant minority but they ignore the fact that Turkey, for "strategic" reasons has an interest in Cyprus. Because of Turkey's influence and its importance to NATO Cyprus was "gifted" a unique constitution in 1960 that gave the minority almost equal power in the government. Many of the 80% majority resented this, some on both sides considered the Zurich Agreement to be merely an interim measure towards Union with Greece (ENOSIS) or partition (Taksim).

The so called "trnc" is an illegal entity recognised only by Turkey, it survives only because of huge subsidies from Turkey. Turkey has little regard for Cypriots on both sides of the Green Line, it is driven by self interest - principally it claims the "need" to protect its coastline from Greek encirclement. Turkey's utter contempt for Greek Cypriots is on show for the whole world to see, go and take a look at the deserted city of Varosha, once the home of 40,000 Greek Cypriots

This is one of the best sites for researching Cyprus, https://web.archive.org/web/20150927094 ... 0page.html
You could also look here, https://www.prio.org/Programmes/Programme/?x=14
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Postby Erwinski » Thu May 05, 2016 10:10 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm aware of the fact that everyone has his own perspective on the stories, based on their sides, perception of history and preferences, so taking ones opinion or viewpoint as a fact is something that I'm aware of not to do anyway. That's why I'm interested in speaking with all kinds of people and their perspectives, and I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible myself, looking (or at least trying to do so) for the truth in the middle.

The comment about Turkish settlers is a good one though, I didn't realize this too well yet and it's something I will definitely keep in mind. Also I will look up the people you've mentioned repulsewarrior.

Thanks so far guys, and any more tips, comments or opinions are more than welcome.
Erwinski
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Postby Erwinski » Thu May 05, 2016 10:17 pm

Jerry wrote:I'm a semi Cypriot, GC father, British mother. I tend to support and promote the Greek Cypriot standpoint. Briefly, the Turkish Cypriots have wanted and still want more of Cyprus, in every sense of the word, than their numbers can justify. They are one fifth of the population but occupy 37% of the island and want to keep most of it. Many Greek Cypriots see Cyprus as "Greek" and consider the Turkish Cypriots to be an insignificant minority but they ignore the fact that Turkey, for "strategic" reasons has an interest in Cyprus. Because of Turkey's influence and its importance to NATO Cyprus was "gifted" a unique constitution in 1960 that gave the minority almost equal power in the government. Many of the 80% majority resented this, some on both sides considered the Zurich Agreement to be merely an interim measure towards Union with Greece (ENOSIS) or partition (Taksim).

The so called "trnc" is an illegal entity recognised only by Turkey, it survives only because of huge subsidies from Turkey. Turkey has little regard for Cypriots on both sides of the Green Line, it is driven by self interest - principally it claims the "need" to protect its coastline from Greek encirclement. Turkey's utter contempt for Greek Cypriots is on show for the whole world to see, go and take a look at the deserted city of Varosha, once the home of 40,000 Greek Cypriots

This is one of the best sites for researching Cyprus, https://web.archive.org/web/20150927094 ... 0page.html
You could also look here, https://www.prio.org/Programmes/Programme/?x=14


Ah, your reply just came in fresh.

I'm aware of what you mention as I've researched the history of the conflict, which I tried to do with independent sources as much as I could (for example scientific research from universities not based or in anyway connected to the involved countries and communities).

I see the point you're making, but what I wonder is what your standing point is on possible unification in a federal state. The constitution you mentioned didn't work for (as I would say) obvious reasons, but with a federal stated based on Zwitserland or Belgium, where both communities have their regions on which some autonomy can be applied, but the country functions as one, would that be a problem for you?

Also it seems, but maybe I'm not well informed enough here, that Erdogan is actually willing to let Northern Cyprus 'go'. Although his words and deeds tend to differ quite a bit lately, ofcourse.
Erwinski
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Thu May 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Erwinski wrote: Also I will look up the people you've mentioned repulsewarrior.


I would stay away form reporters as most have been contaminated through the need to have a 'view' and one that gets them in to as little trouble with the Turkish authorities as possible.

Even famous British authors have felt the sting of being too truthful about the presence of the Turkish army on Cyprus. So they temper their views through fear of what Erdogan is doing in Turkey - imprisoning everyone who doesn't present Turkish activities in a good light.

I fear also that most TCs might be too suspicious to give you a true account of events again for fear that they might appear they are not towing the party line and would receive penalties.

Face it - TCs are living on stolen property given to them by the Turkish army to whom they are beholden for life - why should they say anything to jeopardize their position?

If you want a true picture of what has happened to Cyprus, you can piece together the truth from the native Greek Cypriots, mostly now in their 50s, who hoped for a democratic and free progressive Cyprus and had TC friends who then betrayed them for the promise of free property. TCs in Cyprus and shoe-less TCs in the UK who returned to Cyprus to capitalise on what was stolen from native GCs.

It's sickening what TCs have done to Cyprus and Greek Cypriots.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Postby repulsewarrior » Thu May 05, 2016 11:03 pm

...i refer to Canada, and the USA, they are both BBF's.

...Christopher Hitchens comes to mind, an author, a journalist, also worth reviewing, about Cyprus.

...although, if you do your research well enough, you will find many examples of what GIG is talking about.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7606
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Writing my thesis on the Cyprus Problem

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Thu May 05, 2016 11:05 pm

Erwinski wrote:I see the point you're making, but what I wonder is what your standing point is on possible unification in a federal state. The constitution you mentioned didn't work for (as I would say) obvious reasons, but with a federal stated based on Zwitserland or Belgium, where both communities have their regions on which some autonomy can be applied, but the country functions as one, would that be a problem for you?


:lol:

So, not some 'student' doing a 'thesis' at all ... :roll:
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest